Offaly Senior Hurlers 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2023

Post by G91 »

He wasn't happy bring a sub a think also Micheal duignam made comments not long after that if a player wasn't happy he had no business being on an offaly team
Read an interview with Ben Con' really positive says lads want to hurl for offaly now and they've around 40 players contesting

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I think it's a good thing.
If you look at the team that got to the leinster minor final v kilkenny 3 years ago the personnel isn't up to it some of the lads we had on it this year are a step ahead hence why we reached an ireland final.
The also had an easy route to the final that year and really kilkenny were nearly out of sight after 10 minutes but got slightly incomplacent so I'm not sold on the standard of that team.
Carey who was big part of that team was dropped early enough front the panel this year.
Quinn dropped himself off it after not been played not sure who else was on it.

I think the minor team last year have an edge on other years and that is what we seen coming through to the 20s this year.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Windy day in South Offaly. I presume we’ll have the obligatory heavy breeze blowing into the town end.

Coupled with expected downpours it’s going to be difficult conditions.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Offaly fans outnumbered by about 10 to 1 here in tullamore

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

private joker wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:22 pm Offaly fans outnumbered by about 10 to 1 here in tullamore
Big time. Some crowd in the stand since 3pm. Could be a long afternoon
Doon exile....

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Doon Exile wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:40 pm
private joker wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:22 pm Offaly fans outnumbered by about 10 to 1 here in tullamore
Big time. Some crowd in the stand since 3pm. Could be a long afternoon
Too long. Listening to radio commentary, Tipperary very much on top.

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Can we win the second half ? 8)

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

7 38 to 3 18. Farce of a game.

G91
County player

Post by G91 »

Miles of it ,

First touch, awareness, passing, physically

Few players did as much as you could have asked of them ,

Massive Need to bulk up physically for div1 ,

When they return for pre season if there not considerably bigger then serious questions would have to be asked

Even now they should be asked , first touch , rising the ball and nit knowing where your teammates are for passes is all pre season stuff if your bot able to gather a ball first time this late in the season just not good enough

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

There a serious issues in regard to strength work from minor to senior. You can paint up anyway you want but the work is quite simply not up to standard.

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

We are small men but use are pace
But today as my 73 years old dad
Said did they try ?
Up Offaly bloody it's hard

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

I think the u20s took the reality from a lot of people. We are a long way off the pace, laois, Westmeath get a hammering most of the time the last few years and we are about their level give or take. We are a Joe Mcdonagh team and deserve to be their. We are going in the right direction and it’s getting the foundations built but that will take time.

No point in discussing the match too much but the one point is around an injured player, Cahill needed help and it was slow on arrival, are their stretchers etc in OCP as with the u20s against Galway I think their doctor had to help. Might only be a small issue but could have a major affect on a players recovery.

Not sure when the championships start in Offaly but think this years will be open enough with a number of teams thinking they might do it.

G91
County player

Post by G91 »

Championship should start rather quickly now intercounty is finished

Everyone loves a bit if success and a bit of pride in the Jersey that's why the under 20s had Everyone blindsided , anything reminiscent of the 90s is just very overwhelming for the county just great days out ,feel good factor etc..

There's some serious work to be done and sone serious work that's not been done the lads that are there since christy ring aren't any bigger There's player's on the cork under 20 that are physically bigger

I'm not having a go at anyone all due respect playing county takes alot if commitment

Charlie Mitchell showed he's capable of mixing with the top considering his age, cahil , paddy Clancy , jack ,

Joe mcdonagh will have to do will it help bridge a gap to the top teams I don't think so just looks a massive step up 🤔

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Buttons wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:57 pm I think the u20s took the reality from a lot of people. We are a long way off the pace, laois, Westmeath get a hammering most of the time the last few years and we are about their level give or take. We are a Joe Mcdonagh team and deserve to be their. We are going in the right direction and it’s getting the foundations built but that will take time.

No point in discussing the match too much but the one point is around an injured player, Cahill needed help and it was slow on arrival, are their stretchers etc in OCP as with the u20s against Galway I think their doctor had to help. Might only be a small issue but could have a major affect on a players recovery.

Not sure when the championships start in Offaly but think this years will be open enough with a number of teams thinking they might do it.
Shocking slow to get into Cahill. Physio could be seen a couple of times gesturing to the line and he also spoke to the linesmen and assume he was asking for help. All the while the game was going on. Eoghan was flat out on the ground and no help/assistance - imagine if he had swallowed his tongue or something. Not good enough.
Doon exile....

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

back to the drawing board by the looks of it. joe mcdonagh will be hard won next year. specially after a few trimmings in the league. were still in the 3rd tier.