U20 hurlers 23

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: U20 hurlers 23

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Well, Ruairi Kelly and Shane Rigney were Minor last year, so they’ve another two years at this grade. I’m not sure about Barry Egan and Ailbe Watkins, but neither were on the 2021 Minors. I hadn't thought along those lines, but Offaly finished the day with eight U18s on the field.

Incidentally, that 2021 Minor team and subs (who are U20 next year) was: Kieran Coonan; Ruairí Kelly, James Mahon, Patrick Taaffe; Dan Ravenhill, Cathal King, Dónal Shirley; Colin Spain, Niall Furlong; Dan Bourke, Darragh Tierney, Cían Nolan; Alex Kavanagh, Andrew Coakley, Adam Screeney. Subs: Liam Hoare, Dáire Temple, Peter King, Ciarán Daly, Brecon Kavanagh, Leigh Kavanagh, Conor Dunican, James Scully, Shane Rigney.
ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:05 pm the one aspect that worries me about the final is that we took off 4 20 yr olds, (and another injured), and not sure of the age profile of the lads who came on bar Joe hoctor. It will be a big step up for next year and I think that hopefully we can see a few guys in their mid 20s putting their hand up again for the seniors looking at some of the talent that will be coming onboard over the next 2 years.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

This year was Barry egans last year u20. There used to be a very good free taker from birr I think, Quinn? Is he out of u20?

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

A number of the under 20 panel have been added to the senior panel ahead of the tipp game. Nobody doing the leaving cert was called up and rightly so.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:06 pm
During a break in play around about the 20th minute, there was a random roar from the crowd. I can only assume it was for an attack on Screeney – he had about 20,000 minders in the crowd.
Cormac Egan was down injured in that incident, waiting to get attention when one of the Cork backs came over and gave him a box as hard as he could into the ribs

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:46 pm
Plain of the Herbs wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:06 pm
During a break in play around about the 20th minute, there was a random roar from the crowd. I can only assume it was for an attack on Screeney – he had about 20,000 minders in the crowd.
Cormac Egan was down injured in that incident, waiting to get attention when one of the Cork backs came over and gave him a box as hard as he could into the ribs
The more I watch of the game and the more I hear and see the angrier I get. Cork were filthy - go back and watch the Cork midfielders before the throw in - really set the scene for what was to follow.
Doon exile....

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

Doon Exile wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:25 pm
The more I watch of the game and the more I hear and see the angrier I get. Cork were filthy - go back and watch the Cork midfielders before the throw in - really set the scene for what was to follow.
[/quote]

Correct. The two midfielders walked over, shook hands and then got two shoulders into the chest right in front of the Ref. I knew then the ref wasn't going to protect the Offaly lads. Hitting before the ball was thrown in has to be a booking. There were multiple incidents of the bully tactics, and we need to get a bit smarter about it also. In the first half they committed hard fouls multiple times and as the free was given had a third man come in a hit the player looking for a reaction. Multiple times the Ref could have chose to move the ball on, clamp down with a card etc. but chose not to.

I also disagree with the idea that Cork would still have won with 14 men. The game would have been very different, a sweeper in front of the full back line would probably have snuffed out multiple scores, there would have been more space for Offaly and the Offaly forwards would have got a little more room as the Cork backs would have been more reluctant to foul. The game was lost in the first 10 mins of the 2nd half, an extra man would have made a difference.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Two matches tonight conceded, one by Belmont, and the other by shamrocks. Bit of a joke to fix it mid week in middle of senior championship.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

private joker wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:15 pm Two matches tonight conceded, one by Belmont, and the other by shamrocks. Bit of a joke to fix it mid week in middle of senior championship.
Belmont were unable to field a team due to graduation. Crc agreed to play it tomorrow night but county board said no

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/gaa/1 ... kover.html

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

I’m with the county board on this one. There has to be some sort of order and consistency on the extremely complicated and congested fixture list.

Fixtures being postponed for graduations, weddings, holidays, threshing festivals etc etc is not tenable.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

GreatDayForTheParish wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:00 pm I’m with the county board on this one. There has to be some sort of order and consistency on the extremely complicated and congested fixture list.

Fixtures being postponed for graduations, weddings, holidays, threshing festivals etc etc is not tenable.
They could have moved the game to Wednesday evening. What difference would 24 hrs make ? It’s very unfair on those young lads

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

I'm with the county board on this as well. You have to be careful setting precedents.
What am I missing here?
Game at 7:30, over at 8:50......the ladies will still be applying the fake tan so still plenty of time to get to the venue.
Quick shower having won game!
Put on the skinny suit and white trainers.
Head to venue, lorry down porter and make a holy show of yourself til 3am.
Bus back home.
Wake up at 6pm Wednesday evening wondering what just happened.
Was the above not considered as an option :D?

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Anyone got the score from DSK vs KK?

A surprise Na Fianna beating Birr? Or is it?

faithfulfanatic
All Star

frankthetank wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:16 am Anyone got the score from DSK vs KK?

A surprise Na Fianna beating Birr? Or is it?
KK 7-31 DSK 1-13

Na Fianna winning has to be a shock

faithfulfanatic
All Star

Dodge83 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:05 pm
GreatDayForTheParish wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:00 pm I’m with the county board on this one. There has to be some sort of order and consistency on the extremely complicated and congested fixture list.

They could have moved the game to Wednesday evening. What difference would 24 hrs make ? It’s very unfair on those young lads
The Offaly Express article about the Belmont grad situation had a quote from a Belmont official where he said that 13 of their starting 15 would be at the graduation.
Not buying that for one minute.
Fair enough they perhaps wouldn’t be able to field a team but that’s blatant exaggeration.
There’s no way 13 of 15 starters in an u20 game are still in school to go to a grad (17 and 18 years of age).

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Regardless of the reasons, both clubs agreed to play the following day. Surely playing is better than conceding?
Clara bet B/D 3 17 to 1-16.