U20 hurlers 23

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Re: U20 hurlers 23

Post by biffinbanner »

what did management do wrong? im puzzled here.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Agree that is was a brilliant day out and the Offaly team were brilliant and a credit to the County and to Hurling.

Now the massively bigger, stronger Cork deserved their win. I don't give them any credit for the thuggery, which started in the first minute when the full back tried to behead Adam S with the hurley, wrapping it around his neck/head, a sending off offence and not even a card. His elbow to C Egan's head, again, a sending off offence. 6 & 9 also tried to bully, intimidate and hurt. Surprised at what I believe was organised thuggery....

And to think that little Offaly had a lot more support than the 3 big hurling counties probably outnumbered the 3 combined. It was a brilliant turnout of Offaly support and long may it continue.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Very entertaining final, cork should have been reduced to 14 men after the tackle on egan. But these types of tackles have not been sanctioned the way they should. There's a need for video review or maybe a change to the yellow and red cards system. Cork went out to physically dominate and they did.

Be interesting to see how many of this team get called up to senior team for 2024. A sizable amount I'd say.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Of the 29,000 in Thurles yesterday there was probably about 20 or 22,000 from Offaly.
These were the big days that we thought had disappeared two decades ago.
Let's surf that wave and continue to drive things onwards in Offaly.

On for the game, as we feared, Cork had more older and physically developed players and it eventually showed.
Offaly stayed going to the end and I was delighted to see the goal go in the end. It was fitting that the climax of the game was Offaly people lifting the roof off the stand with a roar.

As for some of the other aspects of the game, it's sad to see a team like Cork sent out with such a premeditated cynical approach. Some of it wasn't sport. What's worse they could have won the game playing the right way.

If it was the other way around, Offaly would have finished with 13 players.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

They had a physical edge and used it to their advantage and rightly so wouldn't you have if we were in their position.

I don't believe it was organised thugery yes we should of got more protection from the ref but the best team won on the day.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Just on the huge numbers of supporters, pity the same crowd didn't show up for the joe mcdonagh final. Would've help the players no end in extra time. Will there be a huge crowd for the offaly/tipp game?

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Saw people there yesterday who I never saw at GAA match before. Lots of non GAA Offaly people there yesterday which is a great thing. Huge amount of kids who are used to seeing Offaly win things now at u20 and minor which is huge for Offaly GAA. All that said, wouldn't expect any more than 5000 Offaly people at Tipp game.

Re game itself, Cork did what they had to do to win. Its cut throat at highest levels. Maybe if we had bit more of that last year, we would have won the All Ireland minor championship.

We can't complain. The ref makes mistakes and many are marginal calls. Their Nos 3 and 4 could have seen red and 3 definitely should have but if referees are in any doubt, they will err on side of caution. Its a huge call to send lad off in all ireland final and referee was under huge pressure. He did consult his umpires who were lot closer to incident so probably went on what they said. I wouldn't be blaming referee for our loss. Very easy make call with added vantage of video playback which the referee was not privy to. Maybe that will become factor in GAA going forwards.

Beyond that, Cork deserved to win. We troubled them in first half and Screeney was on fire but with their sweeper and sitting midfielder covering off supply to Screeney in 2nd half we had no other outlet. They started like train in second half and game was won and lost in those 6 or 7 minutes.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen them throw Ravenhill, Bourke or Doyle in full forward for last 10 or 15 mins and see could we have fashioned a goal. Maybe they did but wasn't noticeable. Their physicality was issue for us as game wore on but loved the way we kept on challenging - exemplified by Screeney turnover in 2nd half. There is huge fight in the group and brought it back to 6pts in finish which was very credible.

They have had unbelievable year given expectations early on and they are really ahead of their projected time considering 27 of them will be a year stronger and older next year which is a huge thing at that age - and maybe 15 of squad eligible the following year - with likes of Donal Shirley, Diggy Hand and others to come into reckoning, this group will be back for more next year.

Well done to team and management.
jimbob

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Hopefully there will be a good crowd for the tipp
Game make the games at a reasonable time and a fair price you will get bum's on seat's.
But late Saturday evening games especially in Dublin
Are a nightmare expense and it's not very nice place
To be of in honest ..

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Superhans75 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:24 pm Hopefully there will be a good crowd for the tipp
Game make the games at a reasonable time and a fair price you will get bum's on seat's.
But late Saturday evening games especially in Dublin
Are a nightmare expense and it's not very nice place
To be of in honest ..
The match is in Tullamore, not Dublin.

Where do you be getting your info?

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

He is talking about the joe McDonagh Cup being in Croke park on a Saturday evening.

Read the posts above it.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Frist of all.
Well done to the Lads and a Management.
Lenister Medals are hard to come by and it's been a great year.

cork have shot themselves in the foot here. Kingston is a marked man when he get to Senior.
The cynical approach cork took will follow them mentally for 6 or 7 years and cost them dearly.

The tackle on Egan isn't a red card but what Maher did last week is?
Bullshit.
It only a matter of time before a player brings a huge claim against the GAA for fail to protect them on the field.

Hopefully, the issues we having with Referees, Will change when the GAA money men, Wake up to the fact that Offaly is a cash Cow, waiting to be tapped.
“Common sense is not so common.”

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Well done to the young panel on a tremendous season winning Leinster and putting in a brave display in the All Ireland final on Sunday when the breaks were not going their way. They showed great character in battling to the end.

The squad carried themselves very well in how they play the game with so much skill. They are a joy to watch.

Cork were a very strong team. everybody knew that going into the game and that is why they were overwhelming favourites. it is a shame that they did take away from their win by the approach they used. On paper they should be winning that game without having to bend the rules to get an advantage. So yes from Corks perspective, its a shame that the post match talk is all about their cynical play and poor refereeing.

Somebody mentioned that it was premeditated and Im inclined to agree. The first ball screeney went for he was ploughed out of it and not only that there was other cork players sledging him in the moments after it. I saw one of the cork wing backs off the ball grabbing an Offaly player around midsection and looked like he was possiby squeezing and pinching. this was all very early in the game. The cork keeper was also out with the corner back digging at screeney at one stage. Umpires useless as usual. I have no doubt they were sent out and told to rough Offaly up and see if they can handle it.

Ok its wrong and Cork management should be ashamed but in fairness they have come out and blatantly admitted that did what they had to do to win and thats the game. It is strange to see the approach at underage games. I usually enjoy minor and u20 because largely teams just get on with hurling and forget about the cynical crap unlike senior.

The big problem however, was a weak referee who could have easily put an end to the thuggery but he let things slide. He should of had cards issued within the first 5 minutes for some of the challenges and it would of stopped everything. I am Offaly so maybe Im biased, but I try to look at things from the other side and I still think the refereeing was dreadful. He let numerous overcarries go which led to cork scores. And in general I thought he was very quick to penalise Offaly. Offaly player was penalised for lying on a ball, but a throw in givin when a cork lad was on it. If refs are consistent for both teams fair enough, but what happended on Sunday is unnaccetable and leaves the game open to risk of players getting a serious injury.

Well done to our young squad tho. Keep your standard high and drive on to achieve your goals.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

jimbob17 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:42 pm Saw people there yesterday who I never saw at GAA match before. Lots of non GAA Offaly people there yesterday which is a great thing. Huge amount of kids who are used to seeing Offaly win things now at u20 and minor which is huge for Offaly GAA. All that said, wouldn't expect any more than 5000 Offaly people at Tipp game.

Re game itself, Cork did what they had to do to win. Its cut throat at highest levels. Maybe if we had bit more of that last year, we would have won the All Ireland minor championship.

We can't complain. The ref makes mistakes and many are marginal calls. Their Nos 3 and 4 could have seen red and 3 definitely should have but if referees are in any doubt, they will err on side of caution. Its a huge call to send lad off in all ireland final and referee was under huge pressure. He did consult his umpires who were lot closer to incident so probably went on what they said. I wouldn't be blaming referee for our loss. Very easy make call with added vantage of video playback which the referee was not privy to. Maybe that will become factor in GAA going forwards.

Beyond that, Cork deserved to win. We troubled them in first half and Screeney was on fire but with their sweeper and sitting midfielder covering off supply to Screeney in 2nd half we had no other outlet. They started like train in second half and game was won and lost in those 6 or 7 minutes.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen them throw Ravenhill, Bourke or Doyle in full forward for last 10 or 15 mins and see could we have fashioned a goal. Maybe they did but wasn't noticeable. Their physicality was issue for us as game wore on but loved the way we kept on challenging - exemplified by Screeney turnover in 2nd half. There is huge fight in the group and brought it back to 6pts in finish which was very credible.

They have had unbelievable year given expectations early on and they are really ahead of their projected time considering 27 of them will be a year stronger and older next year which is a huge thing at that age - and maybe 15 of squad eligible the following year - with likes of Donal Shirley, Diggy Hand and others to come into reckoning, this group will be back for more next year.

Well done to team and management.
Agree with a lot of this. In real time from where I sat , I thought it was a very hard but shoulder hit on Cormac, but with benefit of video, he clearly lifted his elbow. Umpire was closer and what he advised can only be confirmed by them. Cormac Egan was nullified as a result. In light of us having men sent off for far less serious incidents, its a little hard to take. The umpires and linessmen need to be aware of off the ball stuff as this is not hard to see to be fair.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

But asside from that, Cork used their advantage and I don't agree with the assessment that this will have any effect on them for the future except that they were deserving winners and played on the edge. Limerick have played on the edge and have raised the standard and similar to Kilkenny before them. The Clare minors brushed Galway aside, and while it remains to be proven later in the Senior championship, maybe Munster hurling is at another level.

All that aside, full credit to our team and management for the fantastic season. Some will move onto the Senior panel and we have a huge cohort underage for next year. Brilliant performances and brought great pride to the county over the last 2 months. Harness that and lets build on it.
To those who have come to the games recently , great and hopefully people who have come and brought kids will continue to do so as we need to build on this also.
Great atmosphere in Thurles and great to see the jeering and booing minimised (given the size of the crowd).

To the players, thanks, to the management, thanks, County Board and fantastic sponsors Glenisk, thanks also!

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

The ref got the cormac egan incident wrong. It was definitely a red. Cork wont care and the only impact people are talking about is how cork have now won 3 U20 all irelands and how to transfer that talent to senior. The munster u20 championship has been played on the edge and it is very physical and intense.

Cork have not shot themselves in the foot, the direct opposite, they showed a ruthlessness that has been missing in Cork hurling. The rock o sullivan call it the dark arts of hurling that had gone missing in Cork. Kingston having his card mark? Don't know what that even means. Again, Corks only concern now is the transfer of talent to senior.

Offaly may get over it now and hopefully learn the lessons from it as it will only get tougher here on out now that's there is a template out there to beat this team. Hit hard and often. Like it or not, offalys card is now marked.