U20 hurlers 23

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Re: U20 hurlers 23

Post by G91 »

That's probably one if the craziest things everyone is screeney mad and rightly so he's just class , but thuer is so many more that thier potentially taking there eye of , maybe not Mitchell because if his involvement with seniors,

Looking back in the wexford game there was so many lads involved in creating scores

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

llkj wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:10 pm
but if we just focus on ourselves and do what we do best, we'll have a good chance.
How dare anyone say that! I am outraged! I mean to think that he could say that they "have a good chance".

Let's get a grip here folks. No wonder the players are told to say nothing.
"Hopefully, we come out on the right side again. I believe we should."

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

The very best of luck to the players, the management and the families....I mention the families because as a parent who had kids involved in big days from time to time its tough. Not in the sense of what you hear shouted at them as thats irrelevant but you know the effort that has gone into it and all you hope for is that they have the work done and can perform on the day.

As has been said, this team has built up savage goodwill, and COMPOSURE and full on intensity throughout the full game will get the job done. Cork are good and have great attributes but these guys have the ability. Take a look, don't panic, drive at them when the opportunity arises, support each other. Above any Offaly team that ever reached this stage along with the U20 footballers they are there on merit. They have caught the imagination of many across the hurling family, yet strangely there is no mention of this fantastic occasion in the RTE website, Des Cahill must have forgotten, Joanne is getting her script ready for the Munster hurling final since last Sunday night and Marty is in the middle of Bloom I guess....no matter.

enjoy the occasion and Best of luck

As a matter of interest what would be the best route from Tullamore to Thurles...shortcuts appreciated :roll: :roll:

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Hmmm. Coming from Tellamore, would you get on the M8 and approach Thurles from the Urlingford side, coming into town by the cathedral? NOT from the Horse and Jockey road, Cork will be coming that way.
Nenagh isn't an alternative to Roscrea-Templemore for those from South and West Offaly, not with Galway and Clare coming that way. Unless they're planning to arrive after the Minor final throws in at 1pm. Which mightn't be a bad plan, the more I think of it.
ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:42 pm As a matter of interest what would be the best route from Tullamore to Thurles...shortcuts appreciated :roll: :roll:
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Isn't it absolutely brilliant to see every national school in the county having an Offaly jersey day today and making videos and posting all over social media
For anyone interested their all on the Offaly Cumann Na mBunscol twitter page.

https://twitter.com/offalyschoolGAA?t=U ... 4HtVg&s=09

Their is some hype and momentum with Offaly around this final, it even feels more than last years minor all ireland it's fantastic. Flags are out everywhere and jerseys everywhere I look.

These young men have already inspired a county of youngsters already, bring it home on Sunday lads. Best of luck

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Would imagine those in East Galway would go via Roscrea Templemore etc while South Galway (gort area etc) would travel similar route to Clare which could be via Nenagh. Many of them would use Motorway to Roscrea and go in via Templemore so would expect big delays if travelling that route. If anywhere near North Offaly, would be wise to go via Urlingford to save yourself sitting in traffic
jimbob

G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

JimBwobb wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:37 pm Isn't it absolutely brilliant to see every national school in the county having an Offaly jersey day today and making videos and posting all over social media
For anyone interested their all on the Offaly Cumann Na mBunscol twitter page.

https://twitter.com/offalyschoolGAA?t=U ... 4HtVg&s=09

Their is some hype and momentum with Offaly around this final, it even feels more than last years minor all ireland it's fantastic. Flags are out everywhere and jerseys everywhere I look.

These young men have already inspired a county of youngsters already, bring it home on Sunday lads. Best of luck
It's brilliant there's girls and boys all over the place with hurls in hands and I'd say thier parents heart is broke keeping the jersyes clean

I was walking through a car park during the week and a lad was pucking the ball against a wall

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:19 pm Image
Absolutely - no place for that in any game.
Doon exile....

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Best of luck to the entire group in the all Ireland final on Sunday, a magical occasion for players and supporters, up the Faithful

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

With the Mediterranean weather, flags and bunting up and kids walking around in the jerseys it feels like summer 1995 to me.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

The starting 15 is as expected, good to see Rigney back amongst the subs. With the hot weather, we’ll likely need to make a couple of changes so I’d expect to see him, Egan and Hoctor at some point.

Cork’s starting 15 is also as expected with the exception of Colin Walsh, most are surprised he’s on the bench. Ben O’Connor is named at 6 with Eoin Downey at midfield but these could swap around. Ben Cunningham will need stopping if we’re to have any chance.

The feeling amongst most Cork supporters on their forums is all they have to do is turn up and they’ll win. Completely dismissing our chances because they perceive Munster hurling to be superior to Leinster hurling.

The other thing that gets mentioned a lot is that they feel they’re a much bigger and physical team and have a deeper panel than Offaly as well as most of their players being in their final year of U20 as opposed to Offaly having 6 minors from last year on the starting 15.

This is playing into their fears somewhat too as they believe the ref (Chris Mooney from Dublin) who apparently hates Cork could give Offaly soft frees…

I agree to a certain extent with the narrative that Cork are big favourites and should win if they hurl to their ability but what team ever plays their best in a final?

Offaly have been underdogs against Galway, Dublin and Wexford and proven that tag to be nonsense. If we’re being honest, I think we love being underdogs, takes all the pressure off and places it firmly on the opposition’s shoulders.

The big thing the Offaly players have going for them is their experience playing to large crowds and using it to their advantage. This game should be no different in that regard, seeing all of the primary school children decked out for the occasion gives a flavour of the crowd to be expected in Thurles. Will the last person out of Offaly please turn off the lights…

I can’t see there being much more than 2-3 points in this at the end but while my heart says Offaly, my head still leans with Cork.

A few bits from the buildup you may have missed:

Ruaille Buaille with a new version of the Offaly Rover https://youtu.be/7b_w-cAPF64

Leo O’Connor’s interview: https://soundcloud.com/midlandssport/le ... al_sharing

Michael Duignan‘s interview and preview show: https://www.youtube.com/live/K37U9bf4hr8?feature=share

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Chris Mooney nearly always sends a player off in the games he refs.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Hard luck to the lads, the dressing room will be down but I’d just like to thank you all for a wonderful season.
Cork were very physical, full back should have been sent off for a dirty high tackle on Egan in the first half. Screeney is such a special talent, the ball never went into him in the second half. He had 5/6 Cork backs in a heap in the first half and they had to revert to pull him down and acting the maggot.
We just hadn’t enough fire power up front to take the pressure off Screeney, Cork deserving winners and congratulations to them. Extremely proud of our boys and of the huge support that travelled today, long May it continue.

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Hard luck lads thanks for the effort
Brilliant day out management definitely got it wrong
But that is the game
Onward and upward up Offaly 👍