The Laois Debacle - the aftermath

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Cona
Junior C

hmmm

Post by Cona »

Sorry, Cant agree LS.

After achieving so much this year I thought the manner in which we lay down was atrocious.
Fair enough there were some dark days in the nineties, but christ, there was never a surrender of the magnitude of last sunday. Again I have to say it "Four Points" PLease!!!
Laois are a good side, everyone knows that, but they are not that bloody good that they should restrict our lads to scoring "Four Points".
And only two from play.
we are all grateful for the good run the lads went on this year to the leinster final but it has been overshadowed by last sundays capitulation. Laois now have something to crow about for the next twenty years!!

Oh yeah, I nearly forgot,
To the bunch of Offaly Minors that were drinking in Digans Saturday and sunday night, Cop on!
No more of this "do you know who I am" craic! and gettin narky with a few pints in ye. Ye are not superstars yet. Wait till ye win something before ye start that S**t.

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

What is wrong with this Offaly team, in round 4 of the qualifiers and they don't give a dam. Why not, if they had beaten Laois, they would face a bad Mayo team, look at what W'MEATH did to Galway and then the Dubs. Imagine that Dublin could qualify for the all ireland final playing Leinster teams only. Back to Offaly and the lack of a performance against laois. What was Kilmurry at with all the changes he made to the team that had played Dublin 2 weeks earlier. Not a good sign of management. The 2 Daly's, although they tried hard, lacked match practice as their foot passing was dreadful. Neville was out of position at midfield, where was he when Clancy was scoring the goal. James Coughlan should have been standing with me on the terrace. Deehan was having a nightmare. But then the subs introduced. What was Phelan or Ryan going to do, 2 junior players at best. Why was Hunt not used or Brady or Keane. These were the players that had preformed in earlier championship matches. Sully had a great game . Alan was a hugh loss. I think that Kilmurry's time is up. We now need a big name manager to bring us that final step as we are not that far off.

Black & Red
Junior B

Post by Black & Red »

I agree fully with your comments naasmanrhode. I've been told by panel members and ex panel members that Kilmurray has his golden boys in the camp and they are all that matters to him. By the way substitutes have been made I think this could be true.
I think people are being a bit hard on froggy. Beano was given excellent ball into him time and again but Cathal was always there to get a hand in to get it away from him. I know his distribution wasn't fantastic but it was his first start this year, remember what Tommo and Niall Mc were like against Westmeath.
Now that the dust has settled it is obvious that something was wrong last Sunday. For what ever reason,and I believe there are a few, the fight,grit and determination shown in Croke Park was non existent and against a resurgent,enthusiastic Laois team we were shown up badly. I would love to see O'Mahony in there as he is a good tactician and I believe he would get us the elusive Leinster Title. Midfield needs beefin up,solve this problem and we will cross that line
Keep Her Lit

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

Arbag
An absolute disgrace. There can be no hiding from this. Worst defeat ever in my book!
Too many players went missing when the goin got tough. Hopefully they will stay missing over the winter and we can get some players with a bit of pride and heart.
This sort of thing sickens my ring. I could copy a lot of these quotes in here from a number of different people. Tell me what the result was the last time you put on the Offaly jersey? Did you have the same "hurlers on the ditch" throw abuse at you saying you had no pride or guts after spending three nights a week busting your arse for the last 8 months training in the muck and cold during the winter, not getting a penny for it except for the pride of wearing the Offaly jersey? Or are you one of these lads that was sitting back siping a pint during those cold nights?
Everyone one of those lads bust a gut to get to where they are today. Do you think the decided, "Ah s*$te, I'll kick this one wide today" Saying that Phelan and Ryan are Junior players, crap, they're good players and have long Offaly careers ahead of them.
That's a right good Laois team, they beat the All-Ireland Champions two weeks earlier didn't they.
Tell me where your going to get some players over the winter?? Sure it's no wonder some players won't join the squad with so called supporters like some of ye around. Throw your name in there to whatever management are in place next year for the position of your choice on the field.
I've no problem with people expressing their opinion about where we went wrong, what can be done better etc. But saying these lads don't have heart or guts after all the work they put in, sickens me.

:x :x

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

I've no problem with people expressing their opinion about where we went wrong, what can be done better etc. But saying these lads don't have heart or guts after all the work they put in, sickens me.
Agus me féin. I agree 100%.
Some of the threads are becoming a little Hoganesque in their content.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

arbarg
County player

hmmm

Post by arbarg »

Attention Muck Savage,

The Last time I represented My county I won an All-Ireland Medal.
So thats why I can talk about Heart and guts.
And I was freezin my ass off last winter on pitches around the country followin our teams.

DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Re: hmmm

Post by DD »

arbarg wrote:Attention Muck Savage,

The Last time I represented My county I won an All-Ireland Medal.
So thats why I can talk about Heart and guts.
And I was freezin my ass off last winter on pitches around the country followin our teams.
:roll: :roll: Do they give out All Irelands for talking shite? I'm sure you're a worthy winner.

del
County player

Post by del »

i have kept my thoughts about sunday to myself but what i am reading now is starting to make my blood boil. some of the posts are way off the mark in the slating of the perfromance granted offaly were poor but they did not intentionaly go out to play badly our backs were very good and with barry mooney and conor evans to come into the equation we will be in a very strong position. as for our goalkeeper i think kevin meehan deserves his chance. p kellys kickouts have no variation and i dont think he can hit pin point kick outs to players making runs eg cluxton to shane ryan. we have no real options at midfield so division two football is the place to try some of the fring players around the middle d kelly p bracken j keane etc. i like every other offaly supporter was very disappointed with perfromance. i feel kk will step down no harm either new manager new ideas will bring this team up to the next level

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I'd like to think KK will step down but I wouldn't presume it at all, sadly. He strikes me as stubborn and naive enough to think he did a good job this year, when in fact any progress made was despite him rather than because of.

I've said it earlier, but just for emphasis, I wouldn't fault the players for effort or endeavour on Sunday - it was a day when everything went wrong against a strong team, so we lost by eight. End of. I for one am grateful for all the effort they've put in, no caveats whatsoever.

Cona
Junior C

Enough!!

Post by Cona »

Enough is enough, Lets move on.
I know how hard the lads worked all year to get this far.
Fair enough most of the opinions expressed here were bordering on fanaticism but Christ cant everyone see how close we are to a breakthrough! As a fan, the frustration is a killer.
Personally I dont think Laois are that much better than us, or the dubs for that matter( fitter perhaps but not better). Thats one of the main reasons why everyone is pissed off with the way the towel was thrown in.
Something went seriously wrong in the space of two weeks between the leinster final and last sunday, whether with the players, the management or both. Changes are needed but the spine of this current Offaly team is sound and should remain intact.

Allez les Faithful

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

Fair play to you arbag on your AI, was it playing Football or Hurling for Offaly?

The reason I'm getting so pissed is that this is the very reason I quit Offaly football a few years ago. There is absoluty no thanks (not that it's needed) from anyone for putting in the effort only abuse. I'm not saying to go around and have these lads as gods but lay off the abuse. Those lads are more disapointed than anyone. Here's an example, take the Dublin game in March. Everyone slated them after that game but how many interviews did you see in the last month that has a player saying that that was the lowest they ever felt, no one spoke in the dressing room, no pints after but straight into hard training. That to me says that they want to win.
End of my rant so I'll get down of soapbox :oops:

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Muck Savage, do I know you?

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

AZOffaly :?

Possibly

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

You seem to know me from Arizona and stuff. That's why I thought I should know you...

The Rover
Junior A

Post by The Rover »

Any chance of an interview on the board with one of the players?

A lot has happened in the last 8 weeks since the Championship kicked off against Westmeath and a lot of good views, arguments and debate have been posted on this board. Certainly plenty of material for an interesting discussion with someone who was in the thick of the action.

I'd be interested to hear what the players themselves think went well, particularly in respect of the Westmeath, Kildare and Dublin games and what didn't go so well particularly with regard to the Laois game. Also their views on the rest of the Championship and the forthcoming League campaign. Not sure if such an interview here is possible but if it is it would be great.