U20 hurlers 23

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fear Uibh
Junior A
Club: Doon

Re: U20 hurlers 23

Post by Fear Uibh »

What a win, I thought our goose was cooked after Mitchell's red, but them boys really stood up, the hunger, passion and down right single bloody mindness of them boys is an absolute joy to have in our county.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

some steel in this group of young lads. after the heartache of tipp for a lot of them this was all the sweeter. and adam screeney is simply a rare talent. and hes only 17? wow.lets hope we can beat cork now. banish all demons from last year.

offalyman
Senior

Post by offalyman »

Savage win, what a special bunch of men these guys are. I hear word Offaly will try and move the u20 game back a week to let Mitchell play in both finals . I think that’s the wrong move the double header in croke park would be some occasion. They’ll be Huge Offaly support up there for both teams. Let Mitchell play in the u-20 final and hopefully the seniors would do the business without him and if we we’re to get bet in the mcdonagh cup final I don’t see it as a massive blow as we’re slowing building at senior level. I just think it’s too big of an occasion to miss, the buzz around the county for the next week would be brilliant for both teams. Anyway what a super win tonight hopefully we can beat cork whenever it’s on :D :D

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

offalyman wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:29 am Savage win, what a special bunch of men these guys are. I hear word Offaly will try and move the u20 game back a week to let Mitchell play in both finals . I think that’s the wrong move the double header in croke park would be some occasion. They’ll be Huge Offaly support up there for both teams. Let Mitchell play in the u-20 final and hopefully the seniors would do the business without him and if we we’re to get bet in the mcdonagh cup final I don’t see it as a massive blow as we’re slowing building at senior level. I just think it’s too big of an occasion to miss, the buzz around the county for the next week would be brilliant for both teams. Anyway what a super win tonight hopefully we can beat cork whenever it’s on :D :D
Agree 1000% on playing double header
Doon exile....

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

It would be madness if Offaly try to get the fixtures split.
A double header in Croke Park will see a big Offaly crowd and very few from Cork at it.
Get the U20 delayed and it could be in Thurles or Limerick, with a much bigger Cork crowd.
For the Joe McDonagh, Offaly would again benefit from a big crowd which would vastly outnumber Carlow.
You want to create the mindset in Carlow that they are imposters to an Offaly occasion and that only 2 men and a dog have bothered to come up from Carlow to watch them.

Also, going to such disruption puts pressure on Charlie Mitchell. If Offaly don't beat Carlow it's because we're not good enough and still have a long road to travel in the recovery. Not because of one player.
Let's hope sense prevails.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

As for the game this evening. It's too soon to be coherent about it.
But it was sheer joy to see us prevail. An animal performance.

Wexford looked like they had the run on us towards the end but Offaly dug in brilliantly.
Sheer stubbornness got us through. When the dirty ball needed to be won, Offaly fought for it like wolves over a piece of meat.
Down to 14 men, giving away a few silly frees, the control and touch not always clean – in years past that would have meant a big defeat for an Offaly underage team. It’s a remarkable road we’ve come where the imperfect performance in some ways leads to a masterclass in other ways.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

FANTASTIC WIN===

A DOUBLE HEADER IN CROKER PLEASE =======

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

NO! Offaly want their best team for both. Nobody should have to make a choice which to play in. And promotion to Liam MacCarthy is st stake in one of them. That's more important than a big day out.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Great win, great support at the game. Seemed like no one from wexford bar a few hundred came to the game. Offaly showed great skill and belief to win the game.
It's down as a double header. Delaying the u20 game by a week means lads will play a match 3 or 4 days before their leaving cert starts.

Tough decision to be made,

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I really don't think the double header is an issue.
Let him hurl the 20 final he's not a nailed on starter for the senior team and they should have enough to beat Carlow if they go about there job correctly double header in croker makes more sense.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

greenairfield wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:23 am I really don't think the double header is an issue.
Let him hurl the 20 final he's not a nailed on starter for the senior team and they should have enough to beat Carlow if they go about there job correctly double header in croker makes more sense.
Not a nailed starter for the seniors? He is absolutely a nailed starter for the seniors.

Everyone seems to also think that he would play with the 20s in the case of a double header, but I can see the seniors pushing for him to play with them.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:01 am As for the game this evening. It's too soon to be coherent about it.
But it was sheer joy to see us prevail. An animal performance.

Wexford looked like they had the run on us towards the end but Offaly dug in brilliantly.
Sheer stubbornness got us through. When the dirty ball needed to be won, Offaly fought for it like wolves over a piece of meat.
Down to 14 men, giving away a few silly frees, the control and touch not always clean – in years past that would have meant a big defeat for an Offaly underage team. It’s a remarkable road we’ve come where the imperfect performance in some ways leads to a masterclass in other ways.
This sums it up perfectly......far from perfect and we still found a way.
Again, found myself at the end just so delighted for players , mgt, Co Board, Glenisk and all who have made this possible , and to see all the kids , teenagers and the excitement. It just makes the job of promoting the GAA in Offaly easier, but we need to harnass this achievement.

Re the game, hard to argue with MOTM but Dan Bourke was savage, and easily his best performance of the season. But the outstanding hurler on the field was Cian Byrne of Wexford...superb performance, and a nailed on senior, for a small guy he was exceptional. Wexford did so much right during that game that they will struggle as to how they lost it. I think we fdefinitely played much better in the 2 previous games.

Personally I think a double header is the best way, especially if a number of lads have the Leaving cert on the horizon.
We could have 40 players on the one day playing All Ireland finals in Croke Park....go for it and allow Mitchell to give his focus to the team he captains to an All Ireland final. But is a tough call all the same.
There must have been some buzz in Durrow, 4 guys from the football area win a Leinster together, along with 2 Clara men on the pitch at full time, unreal.
And a Ballyskenach man kicking the winner for the minor footballers the previous night!!!!

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

If the seniors don't have the ability to beat Carlow without Charlie Mitchell ( who had an off night last night even before the sending off), then they have no business even talking about Liam McCarthy hurling.

A double header would give hurling in the county some shot in the arm. What a promotional opportunity.

G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

If you don't have a replacement for one player you have no business in challenging for anything, he's the captain of under 20 that's what he should play there should be no doubts about it , if the game splits one In croke park and the all ireland in Thurles against Cork is a crazy one its a very tough call

Referee was piss poor again another dublin ref just like the Galway game wexford over carried the ball constantly and got away with a fair few lazy tackles

Offaly definitely weren't at thier best gave away alot of frees some were fairly dubious and very questionable, there work rate and the intensity to win every single ball everywhere and forwards tracking back to give the backs support got them over the line

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Is Mitchell not starting most games for the seniors? It's a tough call. Should be allowed play both but if its a choice, what do offaly value more, u20 or liam mcarthy hurling? Beating carlow is not a forgone conclusion, at best it's 50/50.