Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Doon Exile
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2023

Post by Doon Exile »

Superhans75 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:54 am The flag waving one game wonder brigade.
Will turn up .
Lol 😃🤭😆
Isn’t that the nature of every team in Ireland. Dublin won 6 all Irelands in a row but croke park wasn’t full for every game. Kerry are another example.

Regardless if you’ve never been at a game in your life, you’re welcome to Croker to support Offaly on Sunday.
Doon exile....

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

well its 16 years or so since we were in this position to be fair...fair dues to all who can book trains and head off for the day and pay whatever the tickets cost and other associated costs...not all can do that...it could be a one game they might decide to go to, so I wouldnt knock anyone who does go, one game wonder or not..

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Superhans75 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:54 am The flag waving one game wonder brigade.
Will turn up .
Lol 😃🤭😆
Which type of fan are you. A lot of supporters have followed Offaly in good days and dark days. You have no right to categorise people as thrill junkies.

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

I'm having a laugh Jesus every county has them but they
Are part of the game .
My gripe is they always get tickets for certain games .
I'm not being critical but observant.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Superhans75 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:20 pm I'm having a laugh Jesus every county has them but they
Are part of the game .
My gripe is they always get tickets for certain games .
I'm not being critical but observant.
I would have another word for it, being a smart ass.

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Sorry you.
feel that way but it's my pet peeve..
Another injury what are they doing in training it seems
Someone doesn't like us ?

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Back to the celebration topic, do people not remember when they beat Fermanagh, maybe the celebrations wasn’t as much but it wasn’t far off it. From what I see it there may have been a lot of emotion on Sunday that they not only did it as a team/ panel but they put everything on the line for Liam.

As previously mentioned there are only 5 starters from 2 years ago so it’s a new team setting out and we have gone from a yo yo division 3, 4 team or final day safety to a comfortable division 3 team.

Best of luck on Sunday, I hope they win it but do feel the Tailteann cup would be more beneficial to them this year, might get slaughtered for saying it but there are 7-8 teams that may win it and it will be competitive, would a hammering from Dublin and then 3 matches against teams who are at a more advanced stage than us bring the team on?.

G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

Buttons wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:57 am Back to the celebration topic, do people not remember when they beat Fermanagh, maybe the celebrations wasn’t as much but it wasn’t far off it. From what I see it there may have been a lot of emotion on Sunday that they not only did it as a team/ panel but they put everything on the line for Liam.

As previously mentioned there are only 5 starters from 2 years ago so it’s a new team setting out and we have gone from a yo yo division 3, 4 team or final day safety to a comfortable division 3 team.

Best of luck on Sunday, I hope they win it but do feel the Tailteann cup would be more beneficial to them this year, might get slaughtered for saying it but there are 7-8 teams that may win it and it will be competitive, would a hammering from Dublin and then 3 matches against teams who are at a more advanced stage than us bring the team on?.

But isn't the ideology of the taitleann cup is to help teams build for Sam maguire why think about taking a t
step backwards when there's a chance of contesting the lienster final in over 10 year and likewise an all ireland isn't that where all teams want to be , if offaly do loose and end up there grand but regardless of what your chances are im sure every team would want to play in a final and the all ireland series

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Egan and Panda ruled out as expected.

Same team as last day with Cian Donohue starting instead of Egan.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Jaysus Fairplay...ya don't half put a downer on things!

I hope that whoever goes on Sunday enjoys it nd gets behind the team.
Its a day out and after the last few years we deserve it.
My kids are years going to football matches and were buzzing after it, we has a really lovely evening chatting about the game and the big days of the past that they never got to experience (yet!). So thye have their train tickets booked and are heading off with the friends amd really looking forward to it.

Lots of decent role models for our young on this team and other Offaly teams coming through and its great to see.

Make sure ye throw a few bob towards the walkers next Monday also.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:37 pm Jaysus Fairplay...ya don't half put a downer on things!

I hope that whoever goes on Sunday enjoys it nd gets behind the team.
Its a day out and after the last few years we deserve it.
My kids are years going to football matches and were buzzing after it, we has a really lovely evening chatting about the game and the big days of the past that they never got to experience (yet!). So thye have their train tickets booked and are heading off with the friends amd really looking forward to it.

Lots of decent role models for our young on this team and other Offaly teams coming through and its great to see.

Make sure ye throw a few bob towards the walkers next Monday also.

Enjoy the day out with the family. It’s all about enjoyment of the occasion. I hope Offaly can get another day out in HQ.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Best of luck to everyone involved, another big push tomorrow lads, Uibh Fhaili Abu

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Tear into ‘em boys!

COME ON OFFALY!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Brave effort from the lads. They died with their boots on and left it all out there. The few championship games this year will bring them on loads.

Few observations.
Louth got more impact from bench than we did.

Louth are physically a much bigger team. We are very light physically in some key positions and stayed with them for so long because we have really good footballers technically. Likes of Eoin Carroll and Johnny Moloney would have been additions in terms of competing physically in middle third. Could do with addition / development of some physically imposing players to add to what we have. Couple of the lads that played today need to put on a bit more muscle to compete at this level.

Outstanding displays from few lads I thought. Thought Dylan Hyland was excellent throughout. Anton has some engine and caused all sorts of trouble. Dempsey was outstanding for duration of normal time and then Mulroy just got a little bit of space in extra time. Duffy made some excellent saves. To a man, they all tried their hearts out.

On another day, Jack Bryant finishes with 1-2 and we win the match. He will learn and grow for the experience.

The only negative were our kickouts. It was clear they brought up GK to press but surely we should have had some form of plan - maybe there was but if there was, players didnt execute it and we looked ill-prepared to deal with their press at times. This contributed to Louth getting 6 pts in row in second half. There was no running to create options and everyone was static. Contrast that with Louth who had shooting runners to collect kickouts or create options for their GK. In tight games when margins are tight, this is crucial and we will need to improve this area of our play.

All in all a great effort I thought.
jimbob

Alloutbarthegoalie
Junior B
Club: Edenderry

Post by Alloutbarthegoalie »

Great performance today from the whole team, definite improvement from the last few years.