Offaly Senior Hurlers 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2023

Post by Fairplayalways »

a win is a win, looked at half time when the commentators on Clubber.ie were mentioning the 40 point mark thats where we were heading score wise, but 1-04 was poor reply for second half, but I will say, Offaly looked solid to hold that lead for the majority of the second half and tiredness may have crept in after so many games in a row. That said, we looked a tad shaky at the end with the penalty and the close in frees, and our 8/910 point lead was needed at that time as any less of a lead and Kildare pulled it back to something like 4 or 5 points and we would have been under pressure I think. A man up was strange to see us "hanging on" if you could call it that at the end but such is the game, you have to credit Kildare too for going hammer an thongs at it with 14 men, they shot some criminal wides again, hard to know what the story is with their free taker James Bourke as he is normally deadly accurate from frees and play no more than our own Eoin Cahill who had another fine game getting involved in general play outside of frees and scoring well from play again. We seem to have all our top defenders on pitch at once which is one way would be expected but then again we seem to playing the odd one out of postion by times, upfront options are a tad more difficult, dont shoot me for asking but is Langton and them lads injured or what or just not featuring on match days over all..we are going the right direction anyway...

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Is there a link to watch todays game ??

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Dodge83 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:03 pm Is there a link to watch todays game ??
14quid on ClubberTv streaming site.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Offaly won today’s match with Down 1-26 to 1-15. They have a week off before they play Kerry.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Another win chalk it down , badly needed rest coming up before crucial game against Kerry

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

One more win guarantees a place In the final ?

G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

I was shocked to read the negatives all through this thread I thought most of the supporters would be more positive than what I see however it is what it is

Was at majority of games, and honestly I thought offaly would have found it harder to get out of the league than they did.

The league final kildare must have had nearly a full training session for the warm up they were well pumped and I think they over analysed everything and maybe the mentality was to blow offaly out of it early maybe they thought offaly wouldn't have the legs to keep up after the extra game and the thoughts of the disaster drawn game might have crept in and being honest offaly didn't panic they kept in touching distance and when they got going they did enough damage to see it out although a nervy finish.

The same with loais they didn't panic kept the scores within touching distance and took advantage of laois falling apart once again. I just don't understand loais they seem to loose the minds against carlow aswel when they came back.

They were lethal in hawkfield was a great performance but a bit shakey at the end.

Down were never going to be bet by 30pts again and the ref was very poor but they did what was needed and were never in any real trouble.

Johny Kelly's attitude is spot on aswel maybe something we haven't had in a Manager in years.

Any idea why shane dooley wasn't on the panel today 🤔

2 big games left

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Pos Team P W D L F A Pts
1 Offaly 3 3 0 0 85 62 6
2 Kerry 3 2 1 0 70 52 5
3 Carlow 3 1 2 0 84 65 4
4 Laois 3 1 1 1 95 67 3
5 Kildare 3 0 0 3 53 86 0
6 Down 3 0 0 3 48 103 0

Table said it all,
We are in control with Kerry and Carlow left to play.
One win mean we in the top Two and a final spot.

You couldn't ask for anymore than this.
“Common sense is not so common.”

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

We are in good spot but next day is HUGE. Lose and its advantage Kerry for 1st place. Also, Kerry and Carlow are two of the better teams in competition. If we happened to not top group, I would not fancy playing Laois in a semi final with the revenge factor coming in to play. Best route for us is to beat Kerry and be assured of top spot before final round of games. Genuinely think its wide open between ourselves Kerry Carlow and Laois still. Will all come down to on the day knockout semi final and final. Those are the days we need to be ready for.
jimbob

G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

jimbob17 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:01 pm We are in good spot but next day is HUGE. Lose and its advantage Kerry for 1st place. Also, Kerry and Carlow are two of the better teams in competition. If we happened to not top group, I would not fancy playing Laois in a semi final with the revenge factor coming in to play. Best route for us is to beat Kerry and be assured of top spot before final round of games. Genuinely think its wide open between ourselves Kerry Carlow and Laois still. Will all come down to on the day knockout semi final and final. Those are the days we need to be ready for.
There is no semi final ? 1&2 contest the final

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Correct and right.

One win from our 2 final games and we are in the final and an All Ireland preliminary Quarter Final vs the 3rd place team in either Leinster or Munster.

If we won the Joe McDonagh a crack off of Dublin/Wexford would be nice!!

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

frankthetank wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:08 pm
If we won the Joe McDonagh a crack off of Dublin/Wexford would be nice!!
I'm jumping way ahead of myself here I know but would a win be out of the question?
It would be in Tullamore and If the Joe McDonagh is won there would be massive interest and a huge crowd......Laois led from start to finish v Dublin in 2019!

Actually lads forget I even mentioned it :wink:

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Im not sure of how the draw works. For some reason it’s in my head that there actually isn’t a draw and the Joe Mc winner’s automatically get the Munster #3.

Im not a 100% on that for 2023, though it definitely was the case in a recent year.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

frankthetank wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:34 pm Im not sure of how the draw works. For some reason it’s in my head that there actually isn’t a draw and the Joe Mc winner’s automatically get the Munster #3.

Im not a 100% on that for 2023, though it definitely was the case in a recent year.
According to the GAA website fixtures Frank it's the other way around. Saturday the 17th of June:

Joe Mc winners V 3rd in Leinster
Joe MC runner up V 3rd in Munster

Both Joe Mc teams at home just 6 days after the final.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Hang on!
I'm not sure when the final of the Joe Mc is on. Cant find it in the fixtures and assumed it was before the Leinster final but if thats the case then there is a 4 week delay from round 5 to the final so that can't be right. Final must be on the 28th of May so and has been decoupled from the Leinster final.