Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Re: Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2023

Post by Superhans75 »

Feeling great today after that performance we need to
Improve Louth are well organised outfit.
Was my imagination yesterday or were alot of players in both teams passing to the opposition
A few others commented on it .
I think the jersey especially with white shorts were confusing some players ?
Have a good week

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Superhans75 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:50 am Feeling great today after that performance we need to
Improve Louth are well organised outfit.
Was my imagination yesterday or were alot of players in both teams passing to the opposition
A few others commented on it .
I think the jersey especially with white shorts were confusing some players ?
Have a good week
My impression that several of them were intercepts, where the ball was supposed to be going to a target further away.
Maybe a couple of the deliveries out of rucks were misplaced when there was a sprawl of bodies.

Superhans75
All Star

Post by Superhans75 »

The ref was poor enough very fond of giving soft frees to both teams
Also that handbag at 10 paces in the second half
Was absolutely poorly reffed a couple of punches thrown but no cards . Even lots of fellows were on yellows .
Hopefully we can improve for the big Croke park pitch

Bord na Mona man
All Star

The ref also missed Harnan going in and clobbering Duffy late on when Duffy had the ball. It eventually spilled wide after a scramble but had it led to a goal, he would have been chased out of the place.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

look, Meath are entitled to feel they were disastrous today, if Meath beat Offaly today, the shoe would be on the other foot here..people saying Louth are better than Meath is a dangerous mindset, they probably are and I think have the forwards to trouble us way more than Meath, I know Meath hadnt a great league but I did expect them to trouble us for the majority of the yesterdays game, not just the second half, when then certainly did push us and we decided to sit back and deal with that rather than building on our lead and killing them off, a dangerous thing we done yesterday..Personally, outside of yesteday of course, Leinster needs a good Meath team or we will be looking at Dublin again until the cows come home, Kildare will huff and puff and lie down when push comes to shove..I hope we can pull something off against Louth, who ever does come out of that has a ferocious task ahead of the probably against Dublin...great if we can reach a Leinster final at the same time, but an absolute hammering no use to us or Louth...

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Let’s see if we can get past Louth.

Congrats to the team in getting over Meath.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Fairplayalways wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:00 pm look, Meath are entitled to feel they were disastrous today, if Meath beat Offaly today, the shoe would be on the other foot here.
Meath edged out Offaly in 2019 in Navan and got a fortunate draw against us last year. They shouldn't be hugely surprised that Offaly got the better of them yesterday.
The noise since yesterday is about this being one of Meath's worst ever results and some sort of seismic earthquake. They lost to Offaly, not the Kilkenny footballers!
The Offaly management should be paying attention and noting the disrespect being shown. It's a good motivator for the Louth match to see how this win is being dismissed.

tweet2.png
tweet2.png (313.62 KiB) Viewed 9243 times

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Definitely. Good locker room door material.

Meath have been drifting for many years. If they think they just have to show up they must be confused. They started off well in the league then fell flat. They did not give the impression they were going anywhere. They met a motivated team that took them out. But seriously - it had nothing to do with us. It was just that they were ‘so poor’ on the day. :wink:
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Missed the Sunday Game last night - did they show any/much of Offaly game?
Doon exile....

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Doon Exile wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:29 pm Missed the Sunday Game last night - did they show any/much of Offaly game?
The usual 90 seconds as part of the round up at the end. You'd nearly get a better flavour of it here in this snippet.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1650612486301704195

Best laugh you'll get is at 1:55 where Meath no 5 Donal Keogan wrestles the ball on the ground, his next instinct is to deliver a boot up at Cian Donoghue, then he decides to play the ball by throwing it. :mrgreen:

Behindthegoal
Junior A
Club: Ballinagar

Post by Behindthegoal »

Lads I don’t mean to rain on the parade here but I thought the celebrations were a bit much if you didn’t know what the game meant you’d have sworn we won the Leinster championship, lads doing knee slides and punching the ground after winning a quarter final says a lot about where we are at, Don’t get me wrong it’s great to win and all but personally I thought it was a bit over the top. Our neighbours Westmeath and Laois have contested Leinster finals over the last few years and I don’t remember any scenes like yesterday from their players it has a small team mentality about it

Yes we beat the name Meath and they were wearing Meath jerseys but to be realistic that’s the worst Meath team since back well beyond the 80s, they won’t be anywhere near winning the tailteann cup so if we beat another team at that level would we be celebrating as much? The place is burning down around Colm O’Rourke with players leaving the panel and some of the stories coming out of the camp they were absolutely hammered by Cavan and Clare in two recent challenges games so let’s put a bit of perspective on the win

Offaly Gaa have tweeted out three montage videos from the “day” as if it’s being written into folklore, Jesus remember the day we won the Leinster quarter final I think it’s way too much considering the semi-final is in a weeks time, Louth game back from the dead against Westmeath and their players shook hands with them at full time and their social media isn’t plastered with montages

Louth are a completely different animal to Meath at the moment and people seem to think we have a great chance because they don’t have the name or tradition that Meath do, I heard on a podcast today that Louth are “no great shakes” I’m not sure who we think we are but Louth are at least 6 point favourites to beat us on Sunday

They were one game away from reaching division one this year, they beat Kildare Cork and Meath, they only lost to Derry by three points, and played a full strength Dublin team in croke park and lost by 7 points, Dublin beat Laois by 27 yesterday to put that into perspective. Mickey Harte has worked his magic they are extremely well organised and fit they break at lighting speed and have massive men all over the field I think they’ll be laughing at offalys celebrations and can’t wait to take us out after the O’Byrne cup argument earlier in the year I just think we could have left off opening up the champagne for now as we will look very silly if we end up taking a beating from Louth which is quite possible

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Behindthegoal wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:40 pm Lads I don’t mean to rain on the parade here but I thought the celebrations were a bit much if you didn’t know what the game meant you’d have sworn we won the Leinster championship, lads doing knee slides and punching the ground after winning a quarter final says a lot about where we are at, Don’t get me wrong it’s great to win and all but personally I thought it was a bit over the top. Our neighbours Westmeath and Laois have contested Leinster finals over the last few years and I don’t remember any scenes like yesterday from their players it has a small team mentality about it
You must have missed this then!
https://youtu.be/dsgp_KomNgs?t=4897

Behindthegoal
Junior A
Club: Ballinagar

Post by Behindthegoal »

Completely different that’s a semi-final not a quarter, Meath are bitter rivals to Westmeath which makes it bigger and that was the first team Westmeath had ever beaten them in the championship so they done something which had never been done before, did Offaly do that on Sunday?

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Behindthegoal wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:09 am Completely different that’s a semi-final not a quarter, Meath are bitter rivals to Westmeath which makes it bigger and that was the first team Westmeath had ever beaten them in the championship so they done something which had never been done before, did Offaly do that on Sunday?
Maybe the Offaly lads forgot themselves and thought they'd won a semi-final instead of a quarter final. That would explain the semi-final winning style celebrations.

Superhans75
All Star

Post by Superhans75 »

Hill 16 20 euros good value for once .
Hopefully we will bring a good following.
Let's enjoy the day and the one game wonder
Brigade will appear lol 🤔
Have a good week