Offaly Senior Hurlers 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2023

Post by Fairplayalways »

a win is a win but I will park the plaudits at that, a man asked me who was Offalys best player and it took me 5 minutes to go through and see, not that there were so many but it was almost impossible to nail who was our best player, half backline won that game for us yesterday without being brilliant either, my MOM settled between anyone in the halfback line and Killian Kiely up front, he showed the usual go and drive that the others including Cahill to me anyway do not have, the latter did get a few scores but mainly frees and outside of that he was as invisible as many others were, he took his points from play well but outside of that wasnt a fear factor for the Kildare backs that I seen anyway.

Kildare will like Kerry last day rue their wides from the usually relibale free taker they have. Regarfding Cahill, he is a good forward but needs others around him to make it happen for him, if that doesnt happen he is very average indeed, and outside of frees all year he hasnt been the player some are making him out to be here, nothing personal at all against the chap. We seemed to get the bit between our teeth as they tired and they did tire as they hurled us up a stick for majority of the first half and part of the second. If they got a second goal yesterday we were brown bread.

All light passing hurling, no one only Killian Kiely and and the half back line and King willing to carry the ball into battle, and that is the reasonn for no goals, a blind man would see that, Corcoran was good in goals, Ben Coneely at number 4 I cant figure out, we do have excess defenders by looks of it but surely central or half back line for someone of his talent (even midfield?) why is it Offaly players cannot seem to be moved to any position on the pitch, other counties do it.

To see some players at final whistle celebrating whom I had to search for during the game amazed to find that they were still on the field at the end was sort of embarrassing almost. 3 or 4 players had the right to celebrate if you could call it that, others were looking to see if anyone was looking at them almost.. the numbers on jerseys and positions yesterday I think confused not only the spectators both at the game and watching the game on TV, and maybe that got into players heads that they were confused as to whhat they were to do, if that is the case, I do take back some of my views above.

to finish up, we just dont have enough hurlers of "warrior status", we have decent hurlers which most counties have. We got promoted, but unless things change radically which I dont think they will, the next leaguue will be a long long one for us...the JMCD will be interesting indeed....I hope I am wrong, if I am I will be first to say it.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Cahill got 4 points from play yesterday so it may seem harsh what you are saying but I do get it he needs lads around him to win the ball and set him up hes not a ball winner and at this level its hard to get by if you struggle at that. Saying that he still probaly is our best forward which indicates more why we have so many stuggles.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I knew he got a few from play, but when hes not in the game you have to look for him, and he is not alone, some were left on for more than their entitlement yesterday, as someone said above some of these now (forward type players) are around a few years, and its not looking like any of them are going to be first name on the team sheet, God be with the days when we knew who are starting 6 forwards were, now one just cannot say, little or no difference between what starts and what comes on..it is as it is..

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

I think the comments on here are a disgrace.

1) The team would of set an objective at the start of the year to get promoted. Objective achieved so well done lads, congratulations.

Why are people running down a team for achieving their objective? A joke.

2) Offaly battled back very well yesterday after struggling with Kildare for the first ten minutes. Offaly settled into the game and played very well defensively and special mention to Kiely who covered every blade of grass, was immense. Offaly also struggled against Kerry last week in the first half and dominated the first 25 minutes of the second half in both matches to put them in a position to win both games, albeit both opposition had a lot of wides in the opening halves.

Why not commend Offaly for digging deep and turning the tide in both games and winning with determination and motivation and getting stuck in?. Fair play lads well done.

3. The post above from FairPlayAlways which states:

"To see some players at final whistle celebrating whom I had to search for during the game amazed to find that they were still on the field at the end was sort of embarrassing almost"

This is some absolute codswallop shite you are spouting out, when these players are absolutely committed to playing for their county and making serious sacrifices and training as hard as any other county and you make a comment like this. Everyone should be able to release some emotion and celebrate when they win a final, having they achieved their objective?

4. Offaly have absolutely no divine right to be beaten the likes of Kerrys and the Kildares of this world. I am a realist and this is exactly where we are, I am under no illusions.

Divison 1 and Divsion 2 hurling are worlds apart in terms of hurling ability, speed, s&c etc.

Will offaly get hammered in the most games next year? Absolutely. But this is a GAA structuring issue not Offalys.

Well done lads on yesterday's result, on to championship now.

Once again, into championship with no break is a joke - this is where I feel Offaly will struggle due to playing what will be 7 weeks in a row and management playing the same 18-20 players, burnout will become an issue.

Use your complement of your panel that's what their for, best of luck to all involved.!!!

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

JimBwobb you beat me to it.
I'm shocked at some of the stuff I've read here this evening.
What more do people want this team to do?
Played 7, won 6 & drew 1 in a very competitive Division 2A. With the exception of the Derry game all others were 50/50 affairs.

Yes we know there are limitations but the lads in there are trying their best. To question our top scorer Eoin Cahill after some of the performances he put in (including yesterday) is outrageous. His one of the top 5 free takers on the island and nobody fires balls from play over the blackspot under all sorts of pressure from out on the sidelines than this man does.
Then to criticise lads for celebrating winning the league title.....again what is all that about? Lads are busting their balls for the last 5 months but shouldn't celebrate achieving their goal? Gimme a fucking break.
No doubt fella's criticising them are the ones who are nowhere to be seen at games.

Well there are some of use who do travel to as many games as possible and we do appreciate all the hard work and were delighted yesterday to see them get their reward. Plenty of time to worry about Division 1 but there is more work to be done.

There are plenty of positives:
- Burke has grown into a fine full back.
- Sampson at centre back is doing a lot of great work.
- Kiely is back, up for it and getting scores.
- Mitchell is getting game time and has a great future.
- And there are plenty more......

How about lads stop whinging and get out to OCP on Saturday afternoon and cheer these hard worklng players on?

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Fairplay me hole!!

As Bracknaghboy and Jim Bob have said above your comments are a disgrace.

Cahill does need other lads to win dirty ball but what a striker of a ball and 4 points from play and you pick on him.

As regards the lads celebrating, did you ever play football or hurling? These lads were in a final of a league that many of us had written them off for at the start of it! FFS , of course they enjoyed it, they won't get much time to enjoy it off the field so they might as well take the buzz from it, God knows they have to listen to so much negativity from the majority of us.

You rarely seem to be at a game and thats fair enough but to come out so strongly then is harsh in the extreme. These lads are not world beaters but are putting their hands up at a time when its not easy being an Offaly hurler.

Yes, I would be critical of the style of play and the execution of the skills at times but they have dug in during a hectic schedule and there should be a decent crowd to get out and support them next Saturday when they need it most.
Would bet there won't be more than 3000 at it, "ah shur Jaysus the Missus wants to go for a drive!", Drive her to Glenisk O'Connor Park next Saturday (Rte fixtures doesn't even list it as that for some reason!), and bring her to Eugene's afterwards....happy days indeed!

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Fairplayalways wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:40 pm

To see some players at final whistle celebrating whom I had to search for during the game amazed to find that they were still on the field at the end was sort of embarrassing almost. 3 or 4 players had the right to celebrate if you could call it that, others were looking to see if anyone was looking at them almost.. the numbers on jerseys and positions yesterday I think confused not only the spectators both at the game and watching the game on TV, and maybe that got into players heads that they were confused as to whhat they were to do, if that is the case, I do take back some of my views above.

What a joke of a statement. All those lads had every right to celebrate a big win. They’ve just won the league final - a hard fought final and they’ve shown a great fighting spirit over the last few games that needs to be commended. They seem like a very honest and committed group of lads and we should be all behind them.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

OK anorak and personal attackers, I did not name any single individual hurler who wasn't trying, Cahill is good but not what I think he could be with better players around him, lads committed and giving their time absolutely correct, I never said they were not, they are not at the or a standard required. I was at the game yesterday and was looking at the game ye seem to have been looking at, some players, not all, were poor yesterday and during the league too, that's calling it as it is, 4 or 5 players played well yesterday at the game I seen, others were poor, just because we won doesn't exempt them from scrutiny from all corners, Laois will have done their homework on yesterday's game, dress it up and jump around celebrating Offaly winning the league as it sounds wonderful and ticks all the boxes. It will be soon forgotten by everyone in a few weeks when a higher tier of competition beckons, and we won't discuss next year's league yet as no doubt 20 point defeats or more will be talked up into positives. So off and enjoy and celebrate this winning of the league (Division 2A, would be Division 3 30 years ago in all fairness) If you don't agree with my views fine, don't go personal, it's a sign of a nerve being struck as they say. Won't waste my time replying to any more anoraks whom watched a different game than some of us yesterday, nothing wrong with opinion of anyone but telling people they are talking sh*t and load of crap to par, is attack tryi to defend their own views, like mine some not all of your views are right and wrong, that's called debate, doesn't mean you need to go on all out attack. Laois next weekend will prove a few points.. Good night all.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I don't see major chopping and changing. Seven league matches, Eoghan Cahill, Cillian Kiely and David Nally started all seven, Ao Cleary started 6, Charlie Mitchell 5 (it probably would have been 6 only for the U20), while Oisín Kelly was on course to start them all until his misfortune. It's been pretty consistent really.
Fairplayalways wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:04 pm I knew he got a few from play, but when hes not in the game you have to look for him, and he is not alone, some were left on for more than their entitlement yesterday, as someone said above some of these now (forward type players) are around a few years, and its not looking like any of them are going to be first name on the team sheet, God be with the days when we knew who are starting 6 forwards were, now one just cannot say, little or no difference between what starts and what comes on..it is as it is..
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Final point,

I don't think any of us are trying to dress anything up,

1) Many of us thought we might struggle to win the league
2) Laois are probably favourites for next Sat (and probably to win the competition)
3) We struggle (and have done for years) to contain the running game other teams now take for granted and this is work in progress
4) Our first touch and short stick passing could be better

But ...we've had significant injuries, tought schedule of games, and lads have fought back when they could have lost.

To deny them the right to celebrate on the pitch when they would have been lucky to get a dinner after the match and sit down together is harsh in the extreme.
So anyway onwards to Laois next Saturday and lets be fair. Laois have spent the last 3 weeks focussing on this one. We have improved and this will require all that improvement, but we shouldn't underestimate the value of wiining either for confidence, and that helps all areas!

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Well done to the Lads - Management and Team.

They done what we set out to do!

The only results that could be consider disappointing was the draw with Kildare and the team sorted that on Sunday!

They had to win almost ever game this year to get promoted and they did that.

Next year we only have to win one game to stay up!

Laois is a different test on Saturday and we have to step up to it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8yJ4erruK8
“Common sense is not so common.”

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Congrats to all on the big win!

No rest for the weary. Need to stick it to Laois the next day.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Congratulations to all the players and a sincere thanks for all your efforts so far this year.
Regardless of results you always represent us with pride and all genuine supporters appreciate that.

Best of luck against Laois and make sure to enjoy it, this is why you train.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I'm surprised at some of the negatively, but maybe that was a snap reaction from people.

This was Kildare's game to win.
They had gone to Tullamore a couple of weeks ago and put on a good show.
That day they got on top in 2nd half that and reeled off a flurry of scores, leaving Offaly on the ropes. They would have had firmly believed they were better.
They were the coming team, with all the momentum, with a big crowd behind them and recent memories of Naas beating Shinrone by 12 points.
Their pre-match team talk would have been about finishing off Offaly, showing no mercy and making a mini breakthrough.

Offaly survived an early onslaught on Sunday and can take comfort from the way they responded.
They were set up much better in the 2nd half, Kildare didn’t have the same empty space to run into, Offaly also put on more pressure, forced mistakes and there were less long-range shots coming in.

At the other end the Offaly forwards were able to manage to execute the turnaround by converting some excellent work rate into scores.
It was far from a perfect performance, if you’re going to be picky. But I’m happy to see an Offaly team trying to play a more advanced type of hurling, where they’re able to figure how to use and play against a sweeper, where the ball is being moved around with a purpose. Where it’s not just hit and hope.

Fear Uibh
Junior A
Club: Doon

Post by Fear Uibh »

How are we fixed for Saturday ? i presume it will more or less the team that started against Kildare last week?