Offaly Senior Hurlers 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Doon Exile
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2023

Post by Doon Exile »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:26 am
"Ross Ravenhill broke his ankle playing for Offaly hurlers yesterday and got an operation this morning. He joins Oisin Kelly, another cruciate and Padraig Cantwell, knee, on the long term injury list. Chairman Michael Duignan spoke about the huge volume of injuries across Offaly teams at a County Board meeting tonight."
https://twitter.com/kevcorrigantrib/sta ... 8336869376
His limping sprint across towards the stand to track the Kildare player looked ominous for him. Wishing Ross a speedy recovery.
Doon exile....

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Can Offaly hurlers beat Kerry in Saturday’s semi final? There are a few players out through injury.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

It will be a close affair. Would not be surprised if kerry won.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Best wishes to the lads on the day!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Kevin wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:12 pm Best wishes to the lads on the day!!
We will need it today.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Maybe a tight good game of hurling in which we win would be better than us winning a lack lustre affair by 5 or 6 or more.. a hard fought win where lads have to step up to the plate would be of more benefit I think.. Best of luck today..

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Painful viewing so far, puck out again making no sense. One good puck out to Sampson created good score , after that running into trouble again. Forwards offering absolutely nothing

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

A good win in the end BUT Kerrys wides total will haunt them on reflection.. no goals scored today and Kerry were the ones who drew massive safes from Stephen Corcoran particularly at key times..outside of Eoin Cahill frees again we don't have an out and out scoring forward..get away at this level by looks of it but won't at higher level where opposition will also score more.. We won I suppose that's the important thing.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Upped the tempo from start of second half, Mitchell did a lot of work up front in the second half. If Kerry took 50% of the wides they had in the first half we were in big trouble.
Great to get the win, hard going over the next few weeks, if I’m right we will have 4 games in a row with Laois in Joe Mc, injuries a big worry.
Cahill is a superb free taker and is a vital part of our team.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

2A final in Portlaoise Sunday giving both teams a mere 6 day turnaround as they take on 2 rested opponents in the Joe McDonagh Cup the following Sturday.
Absolute madness to be essentially punishing teams for being successful in the league.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

2A final in Portlaoise Sunday giving both teams a mere 6 day turnaround as they take on 2 rested opponents in the Joe McDonagh Cup the following Sturday.
Absolute madness to be essentially punishing teams for being successful in the league. Surely 2 week break between all league finals to the start of all championship action wouldn't derail this split season set up?
I make it Offaly hurlers will be playing 7 weeks in a row by the time the break in the Joe Mc and by the end of it will have played 9 out of 10 weeks.
Gives no chance for injuries to clear up.
I'm not one for wrapping lads in cotton wool....far from it but even for me this is way too excessive a schedule for amateur players.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Agree re the turnaround times.

But on the other hand, going to have to use the full panel and other teams panels will be tested.

Still a final is a final and be good to see the hurling clubs get their young players out to Portlaoise and get some support for the team.
Be another good test and see if we can adapt our game a little. My view of the Kildare game the last day was that we played some great stuff in the first half and completely lost our shape in the second half. Kildare adapted a little and allowed us the puck out but put a bit more pressure on higher up, "forcing" us long.
Personally and not a hurling man, but I think that we need our shooters in that instance around the middle third and try work opportunities out there when we have guaranteed possession to our own 45m line when teams deploy that type of strategy?

Anyway looking forward to a run of games and hopefully the weather picks up.

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Final on Tg4 YouTube page for anyone that can't make it :D

DannyBoyCane
Junior C

Post by DannyBoyCane »

best of luck today lads.