TEAM FOR SUNDAY

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

d-man wrote:spoke to two of the players today and they are happy with team. Both felt bad for Scott Brady, but reckon he will play some part .
He will be first line sub, and as such it's hard to see us going the full game without needing to change one backsman, or else bring in a seventh. The more I thought about it, I'm surprised they didn't leave him to look after Chris Conway. He'd be well able for him, and when Offaly are bringing the ball out of defence Scott is a good man to pop up on the shoulder and bring a ball into contact and lay it off again. They talk about the small Laois forward line, well certainly our backline is not huge now either.

Feck it - optimism starting to kick in again - and bearing in mind I can't make it home for this one, it's going to be a long nervous weekend.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

I'd agree with you there LS and would have thought that Chris Conway was right up Scott's alley. Although he seemed to be getting roasted by Sherlock he was on the ball quite a bit before being taking off. James coughlan is supposed to be flying in training and I'm sure he won't need much motivation in order to perform. I can see Pascal being used as a third midfielder. I think we're in with a great shout even without the Super, and not being too optimistic a shot at Dublin again is well within this team's capabilities.

arbarg
County player

brady

Post by arbarg »

yea, have to agree. Brady is bein hard done by. But if there is a strong ref on sunday brady could've been targeted (cos of all the yellows hes got so far this year) and we could have lost a lot of possession due to this. reckon kk is bearing this in mind. I fancy him to come in early enough as a sub though, cos in fairness the man has a bit of steel about him.
fierce hard game to call , would love to get through and get the effin dubs again later.

allez les faithful!

The Biff
All Star

Leesh

Post by The Biff »

When you look at the positional changes here, you'd probably have even more happening during an actual game, so I dont think there's much to worry about in that department.

What's more important is the quality and experience of the men being brought in. Cathal Daly, Colm Quinn and Mark Daly (along with Ciaran Mc) are probably THE most experienced players on the panel, and James Coughlan was first-choice for quite a while too (he also gives us another free-taking option). We have no novices coming in, and we'll have Scott Brady straining on the line, itching to come on and reclaim his mantle.

Laois wont have Clancy in the middle, and Garvan is having a poor year by his standards, so the loss of Alan Mc is possibly less than it could have been. Overall, my hopes for this match (given they are at "home") are probably growing as it approaches.

'HAMÁN DE FAITHFUL

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Why Offaly are football's big backdoor flops

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Why Offaly are football's big backdoor flops

ON the night of the Leinster final, former Meath footballer Bernard Flynn was pleading with the Offaly players on the Sunday Game to be sensible and avoid the temptation to "have a sup".

But by the following evening the party was in full swing. Preparations for their next match got underway with a swift border incursion across into enemy territory.

The draws for the fourth round of championship qualifiers were already known when the first cars pulled into the square in Portarlington and the Offaly players filed into Pádraig Dunne's bar and restaurant.

What better way to put their Leinster final defeat to Dublin behind them than to go to an establishment owned by a former Offaly midfielder for a spot of lunch on the Monday afternoon.

Any passing Laois supporter would have taken delight at the sight of Offaly players and their entourage revelling in the forecourt of Dunne's premises on the warmest evening of the year, as if their season was done and dusted.

With the scalps of Westmeath, Kildare and Wexford hanging from their belts and a sense of respectability from the day before, there may have been an element of contentment to savour.

A surge up football's order of merit has already been secured, taking Offaly back to a more rightful position, closer to the top 10 than they have been for some time.

But any sense of security Laois fans extracted from that sight would be misleading. The draw has taken care of that. For the first time in six years, an Offaly team is looking forward to a qualifier match with some relish.

When the balls rolled, the other three beaten provincial finalists would have been keen to avoid a Laois team that had already taken care of All-Ireland champions Tyrone and a resurgent Meath team.

Not Offaly. They needed neighbours to give them sustenance. Anyone else and the inevitable qualifier drift would have taken hold.

The memory of that Laois smash and grab raid in a Leinster quarter-final in June 2005 was still stinging when Ciaran McManus reflected on its impact earlier this year. No defeat has hurt them as much. Within days, three players had left the squad and Offaly football was careering towards one of its worst championship defeats in memory against Carlow.

McManus summed up the devastating impact of Ross Munnelly's game-breaking goal. "I think the manner of the defeat against Laois was a big physical and psychological rap for the team. It's very hard to get over that type of game, in that Offaly were certainly on top and beaten by a goal in injury-time.

"Footballers are not immune to disappointment and depression and frustration. When you get a hammer blow of that magnitude, it takes a bit more than a swim in a swimming pool or a talk with your girlfriend or father to get it out of the system."

Getting provincial championship defeats out of the system in time for qualifier games has proved a consistent problem for Offaly teams. Few counties have embraced the football qualifier system as badly.

In eight qualifier games since 2001 they have won just three, and one of them was a 4-15 to 0-10 rout of minnows London in 2002.

They have fallen on the swords of Louth (2001), Roscommon (2003), Wexford (2004) and Carlow (2005), reflecting a malaise and disinterest beyond the parameters of their own province.

Paul O'Kelly who managed the team in 2003 before being ruthlessly despatched, has his own theory on why Offaly consistently "bomb out" in the qualifiers and have only made it as far as the third round once.

"Offaly invest so much belief and almost spiritual attachment to the provincial championship that when defeat does come, it is totally devastating," he says.

"Every year an Offaly team will genuinely believe that they have a chance of winning a Leinster title. And that belief is summed up by the number of narrow defeats the team has suffered in provincial championship games.

"It was a goal in a replay against Laois in 2003 when I was there, a disputed point in 2004 against Westmeath, Ross Munnelly's goal last year and before that there were two-points defeats to Dublin and a replay defeat to Kildare. So all these defeats have had impact and the supreme effort invested cannot be replicated," figures O'Kelly.

Significantly, their only qualifier success has come at the expense of the only neighbouring county they have played in the series, Kildare in 2004.

This qualifier malaise is something the management has been attempting to address all season in the wake of last year's defeat to Carlow and now, with the right draw, they expect a response.

The team selection suggests a 'going for broke' attitude, with Ciaran McManus posted to centre-forward where his goal threat could well pin Tom Kelly down, and Colm Quinn re-introduced to potentially strengthen the half-forward line.

Colm Keys

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/ ... e_id=14429

The Rover
Junior A

Sunday's game

Post by The Rover »

It is a lot of change but I don't think it's too much for this stage of the championship. Laois made big changes after being hammered by Dublin and then went on to beat Tyrone and Meath.

In fact the changes may unsettle the Laois game plan more than the Offaly plan as it will leave them having to decide whether to stick with the winning combination they have established over the last few weeks or rejig this to cope with an unexpected Offaly lineout.

James Coughlan is a big addition to the forwards. I'm sure Laois spent a lot of time at their training sessions over the last two weeks working on plans to cope with a two man Deehan / McNamee full forward line. Now they don't know what to expect.

Hopefully the lads have finished their celbebration and are giving 110% to preparing for Sunday. If so I'm confident we'll be looking forward to the quarter-finals next week.

Cona
Junior C

Post by Cona »

Change is good, we could all do with a little change.

The Rover
Junior A

Sunday's game

Post by The Rover »

Just read the result of Westmeath v Galway.
So if Westmeath can beat Galway in Galway then Surely we will account for Laois. Offaly on the day were 10 points + ahead of Westmeath and Laois are are on a par with Galway. Can't work out the result exactly but I'm sure that somebody on the board who managed to listen through statistics at school can roughly extrapolate our winning margin. Crude calculations suggest a 2 to 4 point winning margin.

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

Its all well and good saying things like that but today is all about the performance on the day. Stats go out the window when it comes to Offaly and Laois, to me, its a 50/50 thing but the winners today will be the team who have their heads right! Lets hope we can give them another good lash!!

Right, im off now to get a good seat in the stand!

Come on boys!