League & Championship hurling 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
italia90
Junior A

Re: League & Championship hurling 2022

Post by italia90 »

Game summed up by above posters, hard one for Belmont to take alright. When Coolderry won semi final last year, very few leaving Birr that day gave them a chance in final and it went down to the wire. Shinrone won't mind tonight. Don't think anyone would begrudge Belmont if they get over the line at some stage. Great turnout today in Birr as mentioned above. Hopefully tomorrows a cracker of a game.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Good weather and there was a county final and a county semi final. That would have helped with attendance.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

private joker wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:57 pm If shinrone play like they did tonight in the final they'll be bet out the gate.
Well they were underdogs against Rynaghs and again today despite some saying they woukdnt win, Belmont destroyed them in the final group game to finish group winners and semi finalists, lucky or not Shinrone have suddenly started winning games they would have 100% lost in previous years, so write them off at ones peril now, they are in a final after beating both of last year's finalists and a strong outside bet for this year's enroute..KK might be too experienced for them if KK beat Birr but if Birr beat KK tomorrow Shinrone will feel they have a great chance.. no disrespect to Birr at all..

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Firstly, congratulations to Shinrone. While nobody ‘deserves’ to reach a County final, you have to earn it, Shinrone have been knocking on the door for over a decade now and today they opened that door.

This will mean a huge amount for the Shinrone area. Apart from the flags and the bunting, emigrants will come home from England and from America for Final weekend. I don’t know if it’s being streamed or not, but if it is, emigrants in Australia will tune in early on a Monday morning and feel part of home for an hour and a half or so.

Shinrone didn’t hurl well this evening, there’s no denying that. Nor did they hurl well against St Rynagh’s. But they’ve hurled well in the past and threw key matches away, so this is a new departure for them. Nor is it like them to commit acts of grand larceny like they did today. For that, they are to be commended. I’d be a closet admirer of Shinrone, and my comments on page 17 of this thread still stand. It worked out ideally for Shinrone, being on the verge of elimination throughout, then striking late, because I doubt they’d have held a lead.

As for their prospects, well Coolderry fell over the line in unconvincing fashion in 2018’s semi-final and went rather well in the Final. And Shinrone won’t be facing either of their bogeys – Coolderry or Rynagh’s. They’re threading on new ground now and there’ll be national media interest in them given the 62 year gap since their last final appearance. Hopefully they can manage that, and that Final day doesn’t pass them by. After that, well, they’re in the final now, it’s in their own hands.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

If Birr win tomorrow Shinrone have the opportunity of a lifetime. (See last years Championship game before minute 67)

Different story if, as I expect, K/K win.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Shinrone in the final it is. May well be perfect timing to grab a Sean Robbins in between the end of rynaghs dominance and the start of a new K/K era - surely they can turn their underage might into something like 4 or 5 titles in the next 7 or 8 years.

As for Belmont - heartbreaking stuff. They still can win a title but the fear is that their golden generation will be known as a solid respected dual club but just lacking the extra 5% to get over the line. You wonder what impact Ferbane’s efforts last week had in the last 10 mins today. Maybe none at all, but that conversation is bound to take place over the winter months. The other successful dual clubs in the county have a clear pecking order in terms of a priority sport. From what I can tell, Belmont/ferbane don’t - us that to their detriment?

Interesting to see who joins them in the final.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

can you name the other "successful dual clubs" in the county? i cant seem to think of any but maybe im wrong. i just know from experience most successful dual clubs in other countys have a mix of hurlers primarily ,footballers primarily. and the dual players. just like ferbane belmont.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Not getting into this but Tullamore would be a dual Senior Club as would St. Rynaghs to mention 2, both have won senior finals be it not the same year but would normally be involved in knock out stages of Championship most years.. two big picks I admit yet many players are involved on both Senior teams..wouldn't be 100% upto speed with the entire set up to expand further with other clubs..

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Junior B semi final
Crinkill 4-12 Kk 1-15
Goals win games and this was definitely the case here. Crinkill scored their goals at important times. After Kk’s first goal they pulled 5 clear but a crinkill goal just before HT was probably the most important score of the game. Kk deserved their 3 point HT lead. They won a lot of dirty ball and Crinkill made a lot of handling errors. However, Crinkill came out firing in the second half and a couple of positional changed worked. They scored 1-4 without reply and they never looked back. There was 4 between them with 5 mins to go but 2 more Crinkill goals between 2 Kk frees seen them through. The evergreen David McEvoy with 2-4 from play was my man of the match. They play the winners of Lusmagh & St Rynaghs. That game is on this evening

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

David McEvoy must be 40? If not 41?

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

K/K lead Birr 1-11 to 0-7 at HT

Only 0-02 from play for Birr in first half with Colm Mulrooney getting both. Unless that improves it’s hard to see them winning.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Tullamore 3 -9 to 9 points winners over clara. Played in near perfect condition. Very poor standard, congratulations to Tullamore. Unless they have a heap of players to come in they are in for a sobering 2023 in senior A hurling.

Birr at nothing up to half time. Took 10 minutes to register a score.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Birr battled well but too little too late. Kk to dominate offaly for next couple of years. Don't think kk will do a whole pile outside of offaly unless they are going to come up with a better style of hurling.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

frankthetank wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:31 pm David McEvoy must be 40? If not 41?
I think 40. Showing no sign of slowing down either

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

St Rynaghs bet Lusmagh 3-18 to 1-10 in the other junior B semi final to set up a final meeting with Crinkill