League & Championship hurling 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Re: League & Championship hurling 2022

Post by Onionbag »

Still think Coolderry could make it.
If Belmont beat Ballinamere then Ballinamere will have completed their group games with 5 points.
Belm and Shinrone will have 6 and 4 if Coolderry win there lastytwo games they'll also be on 4...

Basically Coolderry need Ballinamere to win

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Coolderry have Shinrone next, and finish with Seir Kieran. Both those are very winnable for Coolderry. Their record against Shinrone needs no elaboration.
Onionbag wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:13 pm Still think Coolderry could make it.
If Belmont beat Ballinamere then Ballinamere will have completed their group games with 5 points.
Belm and Shinrone will have 6 and 4 if Coolderry win there lastytwo games they'll also be on 4...

Basically Coolderry need Ballinamere to win
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I agree POH, Coolderry basically have a mini county final now against Shinrone, whom they could beat, and will expect to beat Clareen (no disrespect to them) Ballinamere I think may have the forward power to edge Belmont..it will be interesting indeed.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

While it’s entirely feasible that Cooldery beat Shinrone don’t rule out a Seir Kieran win over Cooldery.

It’s a simple aim for Clareen for the next 3.5 weeks - beat Coolderry and they avoid the relegation final. Coolderry will go into it instead.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

The problem for Coolderry is that even if Ballinamere beat Belmont, that's no use to them unless another team joins those two on four points, otherwise Belmont takes them on head to head. What they actually need is to beat Shinrone and Clareen, then have Belmont also beat (or draw with) Shinrone.

And as was said, that's a huge game for Clareen, effectively a relegation semi-final, regardless of how Coolderry get on against Shinrone. Not simple, at all.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

TerraceTalk
Intermediate

Post by TerraceTalk »

Predictions for this weekends Senior hurling?

Belmont v Ballinamere
Birr v Clodiagh Gaels
Coolderry v Shinrone
St Ryanaghs v Kinnity

Birr and Ryanaghs to do the business as favourites in their games. Draws on the cards in both the other games?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Where are the dates and venues for these matches to be found?

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Belmont vs Ballinamere. Banagher 7pm Friday.

Shinrone vs Coolderry. Saturday 6pm Birr.

Birr vs Clodiagh Gaels. Saturday 6pm Kinnitty.

St Rynaghs vs Kinnitty. Sunday 3pm. Coolderry.

https://offaly.gaa.ie/fixtures-results/

DannyBoyCane
Junior C

Post by DannyBoyCane »

Birr, coolderry, Ballinamere and St ryanaghs to do the business I think

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

Belmont very impressive this evening will go on now to top the group.

Ballinamere will be second and either Shinrone or Coolderry to make up the 3.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Tullamore lost to clara tonight. Big win for clara, huge set back for Tullamore who are really in a crisis when it comes to hurling

Behindthegoal
Junior A
Club: Ballinagar

Post by Behindthegoal »

Clara beat tullamore tonight for the first time since 1927. They also lost to Birr’s second team. I’m a football man myself but it’s still sad to see that the football management team have clearly told talented dual players to focus on football, there’s no reason why a huge town like tullamore can’t accommodate dual players. The senior championship now has 10 teams and tullamore are still nowhere near being promoted from senior B which is glorified intermediate at this stage so they aren’t in the top 12/14 teams in a county which can’t reach a Joe Mcdonagh final. Shamrocks hurling management also walked away before championship because he was told they are a football club and wasn’t given enough access to dual players. Maybe I’m being harsh but there’s something seriously wrong with that in my opinion.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Great win for Birr tonight v kk who are fancied team.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Behindthegoal wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:58 pm Clara beat tullamore tonight for the first time since 1927. They also lost to Birr’s second team. I’m a football man myself but it’s still sad to see that the football management team have clearly told talented dual players to focus on football, there’s no reason why a huge town like tullamore can’t accommodate dual players. The senior championship now has 10 teams and tullamore are still nowhere near being promoted from senior B which is glorified intermediate at this stage so they aren’t in the top 12/14 teams in a county which can’t reach a Joe Mcdonagh final. Shamrocks hurling management also walked away before championship because he was told they are a football club and wasn’t given enough access to dual players. Maybe I’m being harsh but there’s something seriously wrong with that in my opinion.
It is the job of the chairman in any of these clubs to clarify the rules from the outset. Bring managers together and clarify the position of what is acceptable and what is not. The chairperson and executive run the club and they set the rules. If they are going to favour / prioritise one code over another, so be it, but lay it out from the outset so managers then know exactly where they stand before taking up the role, and players get a fair shot if they want to play both. If managers are then agreeable to take on role under these parameters, then the divisiveness and separation never occurs. There has been issues between hurling and football in Tullamore previously and again, this is nothing new.

From player perspective, some may have a preference for the weaker sport (in this case hurling), but may often be coerced towards the sport where there is higher opportunities for success at higher levels. This may role reverse in different places based on location, thinking KK for hurling over football and similarly with St Rynaghs. Of some significance here is the fact that both managers were only started in their managerial reigns a matter of months in what is the perceived weaker code in both clubs currently (hurling), and both have walked away from their roles, one quite publicly in frustration in Daithi Regan. There seems to be a common denominator here and if that was managed better all round with things done in best interests of players broadly speaking, then we may not see such issues arising.

Like I said, a good chairman handles it and manages this dynamic well, and as a result, the eruptions tend not to occur. Wouldnt know the ins and outs of the various siuations but it is interesting that both of these new managers who only just started the year in both Tullamore and Shamrocks have walked away from the job only weeks prior to championship.
jimbob

Hurling2022
Junior B

Post by Hurling2022 »

Anyone at the Clara tullamore game?