Club Football Championship 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
jimbob17
All Star

Club Football Championship 2022

Post by jimbob17 »

Club championship starting this weekend and very little about it. Likely same contenders this year in Rhode and Tullamore. Expecting a bit more from Ferbane and Edenderry than we saw last year. On relegation front, hard to see past Clara and Cappincur though if either can get a win, the team they beat will be in the furnace for a while.

Weekends fixtures will give early indication how teams are going with couple of local derbies. Rhode v Edenderry is probably the pick of the ties this weekend. I fancy Rhode to edge it, though whoever wins this is probably guaranteed to go through even though i'd expect both to qualify from group. However, other important games also go ahead. Huge game for Clara V Durrow because if they lose, they are left with games v Edenderry and Rhode to get results. Durrow in same boat but they will have the favourites tag here which will be new to them for a game v Clara. How they handle this tag could decide the outcome here.

In other group, I'd expect Ferbane to account for Cappincur easily enough while the Tullamore Shamrocks game is another local derby. Tullamore are down a few young U20 stars to injury in Furlong, Keenan Martin and Cormac Egan. Given that Tullamore and Shamrocks drew this fixture last year, this game shouldn't be as easy for Tullamore as people may think and could go to the wire.

At Senior B, hard to see anyone beyond Tubber, Bracknagh and Clonbullogue winning outright. Clonbullogue seem on the up and could double hop straight to senior but neighbours Bracknagh and Tubber will also be pushing hard. I'd expect two of these three to make the final.

Below that, Intermediate is fairly even i'd say and probably the most competitive championship in terms of how many contenders there are - could be any one of 6 or 7. Favourites are probably last years finalists Raheen, but they are closely followed by Tullamore, Ballycommon and Ferbane, while likes of Shannonbridge, Daingean and St Brigids will also fancy their chances at doing well in knockout stages.
jimbob

Dodge83
All Star

Re: Club Football Championship 2022

Post by Dodge83 »

A special mention to Crinkill who are fielding a junior C team this year. Not many teams from that end of the county playing big ball !!!!

Geansai Gorm
Senior
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Geansai Gorm »

In general have to agree with jimbob's assessment above. Rhode / Tullamore / Ferbane are the picks. Durrow could cause upset in a few games.

Senior B is between neighbours Clonbullogue & Bracknagh. Tubber will also be close but can Clonbullogue keep going after such a long season 2021/22?

Intermediate is so open, it will be 'on the day' performances that dictate this. A lot of these clubs have county/panel players who are now available, so how they add to each team will be crucial. Probably Clodiagh Gaels the only ones without a real claim in this, all the rest believe they can go a long way here.

Even Junior will be entertaining. Intersting to see how Edenderry / Rhode / K-K fare but an improving Ballinagar will be looking to add to their league title. A team on the up. K-K are the danger here as they are playing below their true grade, seeing as they nearly won Intermediate two years ago.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Agree with the above, Senior winner will be one of Tullamore, Rhode or Ferbane.

I’d put them in that order too in terms of their chances. Tullamore have the strongest panel and will take beating but Rhode can beat any team on their day if their big boys are in form meanwhile Ferbane are hoping to have a bounce back year and if all their forwards are fit and firing, they’ll be tough to stop.

Durrow come in to this championship as the next best team based on last year but seem to be missing a good few players and would be hoping for another semi final appearance at best. Edenderry have a lot to prove after a disappointing season last year. Shamrocks will make life tough for every team but ultimately would be happy to stay up for another year.

Then we have the bottom two in my eyes, Cappincur and Clara and I would fancy Cappincur with their experience of being in this position so often to retain their place at Senior.

Week 1 predictions:

Ferbane to beat Cappincur by 6
Tullamore to beat Shamrocks by 5
Rhode to beat Edenderry by 3
Durrow to beat Clara by 3

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Tullamore comfortable win against shamrocks, was an even enough game for 40 minutes but Tullamore always kept the Rahan parish side at arms length.
Diarmuid Egan at the centre of everything Tullamore did, Tullamore have improved since last year’s final and I’d imagine are the team to beat. Declan Hogan , John maloney and Ciaran burns played well in defence for Tullamore , with Luke Egan showing excellent in the full forward line all evening, the aforementioned Diarmuid Egan was outstanding.
Shamrocks look good at times and really bad at times, they are a hard team to read, Nigel Dunne was brilliant for them kicking some brilliant scores and winning ball. Kieran Dolan worked hard at midfield but shamrocks will need to improve to beat Cappincur who had a deserved draw by all accounts from ferbane. Well done Tullamore and well done Cappincur

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Some interesting results over weekend. Cappincur drawing with Ferbane came as surprise to most and certainly me. By all accounts they could have won with Ferbane coming from behind to draw. They were rank outsiders before Fri night but now they appear to be in contention and have a big game v Shamrocks next, which could decide between who plays in relegation final and who makes it through to quarter finals. In other game, Shamrocks will be disappointed with poor enough effort against an understrength Tullamore team. While they were reasonably competitive for half an hour, it always looked like a Tullamore win and Shamrocks never really threatened. Tullamore could have won by lot more than eight points - with Luke Egan excellent throughout, along with Ml Brazil and Diarmuid Egan. For Shamrocks, playing Jack Bryant so far from opposition goal was an unusual one and maybe counter-productive.

In the other group Rhode's v Edenderry win ensures they are almost certain to qualify while Edenderry will be happy enough that they are going in right direction - just need to cement place in knockouts now. Clara beating Durrow is huge for them and there is high likelihood that will be enough to see them stay up and make 1/4 final now.
jimbob

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Rhode through to knock out stages. Still not guaranteed a place in Semis yet though.

Durrow can still make it through.

(A) A Durrow win over Edenderry and a Clara win over Rhode sees Durrow through

B) A Rhode win over Clara and a Durrow win over Edenderry sees points difference come into play.
Currently:
Edenderry +5
Clara -6
Durrow -6.

Which means a Rhode win over Clara and any sort of Durrow win over Edenderry would see Durrow through.

Are Durrrow fit to beat Edenderry?

Tmacmahon
All Star

Post by Tmacmahon »

Cappincur were very unlucky this evening they really battled hard throughout and after being so dominant in the first half they will be kicking themselves they didn’t win this one. Bill Carroll had a towering game and as a unit they defended heroically at times. Shamrocks came good in the second half and in truth that was down to the outstanding Nigel Dunne. Shamrocks will struggle against ferbane in the next round I’d imagine but Cappincur are a really plucky side and shamrocks deserve credit for winning the game.

Clara and edenderry was such a poor game of football on Friday, challenge game vibe. Edenderry were comfortable and Clara accepted defeat almost from the start.

Cappincur and durrow for relagation final I’d say

Probable 1/4 final line up
Ferbane v Clara- Ferbane win
Edenderry v shamrocks- edenderry win

Tullamore and Rhode in semis open draw

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Only been following the games via the reports on the tullamore tribune website, is it fair to see the overall quality thus far has been poor?

Any bolters for the county team putting their hands up so far?

Tmacmahon
All Star

Post by Tmacmahon »

Tullamore won a game this evening that champions win, a dogfight and Ferbane missed so many opportunities it could have been different, Ferbane will still make it through and more than likely take care of shamrocks to secure a 1/4 spot but the blues will go to semi final straight.
Both teams were physical and the game had a real edge to it, it was cagey and far from a game you could sit back and admire silky skills, more a game of opportunity presented after periods of patience and working the ball around 12 or 13 men behind the ball. Ferbane will improve and so will Tullamore and tbey could yet meet in a game later in the year

Behindthegoal
Junior A
Club: Ballinagar

Post by Behindthegoal »

Tullamore v Ferbane was a proper championship game. Huge hits and intensity right from the start. Ferbane went 4 ahead in the first half but a lucky tullamore goal from a ball dropped into the square seemed to take the wind out of their sails. Tullamore were deserving of victory in the end they showed that bit more composure I was impressed with Johnny moloney and Harry plunkett in particular. They are by no means unstoppable the injury list is growing Luke egan was in a protective boot at the game which doesn’t look good. they were vulnerable at certain stages Ferbane had 6 wides and dropped at least 5 shots into the keepers hands. David nally and Leon fox had fine games. Joe Maher got 0-3 from play and Cian Johnson scored 1-1 and clearly wasn’t fit he barely moved from the square. Tullamore done a lot of tactical fouling they ended up with 13 men. If these two meet again it will be a cracker. Tullamore dug it out but they’ll have to improve hugely for the knockouts. Ferbane / Rhode will fancy themselves against tullamore without Cormac egan John furlong Oisin Keenan Martin and now luke egan. Next few weeks will be interesting.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I’m pretty convinced Rhode will win the county final.

And that will be all she wrote.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

frankthetank wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:26 am I’m pretty convinced Rhode will win the county final.

And that will be all she wrote.
I would say that a lot of it will come down to which team avoids injuries and are able to get as strong as possible team on the field.

I would put Rhode slightly ahead of Tullamore right now with ferbane and Edenderry in joint 3rd place. Be interesting knockout stages.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Tullamore will be pleased with yesterday’s win but Ferbane will also be very encouraged by their performance.

It was a marked improvement by Ferbane from the game against Cappincur, they came out all guns blazing and had Tullamore rattled leading 1-3 to 0-02 with twenty minutes gone but Tullamore turned things around and levelled it up before halftime despite being fortunate to get their goal.

Tullamore never really looked like losing in the second half and Ferbane seemed to run out of steam but very nearly grabbed a draw at the end of the game with a floating ball in that clipped the crossbar.

The real encouraging part for Ferbane is that they have Jack Egan and Oisin and David Kelly still to come back into their team whereas Tullamore’s absentees are long term.

Ferbane have a job to do against Shamrocks but should they win that, they’re likely to face Clara in a quarter final with Edenderry facing Shamrocks in the other quarter.

Tullamore and Rhode will await the winners in the semi finals which is likely to be Ferbane and Edenderry although an open draw could throw up any pairing.

Cappincur would then be likely to face Durrow in a relegation playoff although it can’t be ruled out that Cappincur could beat a weakened Tullamore in the final group game as they have already sealed a semi final spot.

I would rank the teams currently as follows:

1. Tullamore
2. Rhode
3. Edenderry
4. Ferbane
5. Shamrocks
6. Cappincur
7. Clara
8. Durrow

Tullamore still have to be favourites until another team can get over the line against them.

As it stands today, I think either Rhode or Ferbane are best placed do so. Ferbane for reasons mentioned above and Rhode because while they aren’t the force they once used to be and haven’t shot the lights out in either game so far, they still carry a dangerous threat up front with the two Mcnamee’s and Anton. Niall Darby and Eoin Rigney are big losses, getting Rigney back would be a huge boost to their chances.

Edenderry get the nod over Ferbane in these rankings on count of having won their game against Clara, however it was one of the poorest games of football I have seen in a long time and they’ll need to improve massively to stand any chance against the other three but if they could get Cian Farrell back for a potential semi final, they can’t be written off.

5-8 is fairly self explanatory as Shamrocks beat Cappincur and Clara beat Durrow.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Was at the Tullamore v Ferbane game. Tullamore probably did just enough to win albeit they were significantly helped by soft goal in the first half at a time they were struggling to get a grip on the game.
Ferbane will rue a number of bad wides but their shot selection was very poor at times. Johnson scored 1-1 but looked well off the pace and seems to be carrying a bit of weight too. He will be especially disappointed with his wide and shot dropped short when game was in melting pot near the end.

Thought Stephen Wren, Bernard Corcoran (first half mainly) and Leon Fox were best for Ferbane. Cathal Flynn came into it a bit in the second half but still wasn’t anywhere near a scoring threat. Darragh Flynn was very disappointing and Joe Maher was guilty of a lot of the aforementioned wides and poor shot selection.

On the Tullamore side, Johnny Moloney was the main man. Thought he was very good throughout. Harry Plunkett did ok and thought Aaron Leavy really came into it when Tullamore needed him.

Real championship edge to it and it was an entertaining game throughout.

Mention to the host Ballycumber for the stewardship and general management of everything and pitch looked in excellent shape.
Doon exile....