What's the answer to the fielding crisis?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
del
County player

Post by del »

very true i can guarentee the hurlers will come looking for him if we had a few more hurlers with his attitude we wouldnt be out of the championship now. does anybody know if the laoise match is an all ticket affair

Tom
County player

Post by Tom »

As Such Ger wrote:the key to the dublin fielding was not simply 'he who reaches highest wins.'
great picture in yesterdays Indo, of Alan Mac going up for a ball, with Ryan. Ryan, had one hand on Mac's head and the other on his shoulder. We're strugglin enough in midfield without this

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

I like the team proposed by del, except for Ciarán Mac as the third midfielder rather than Paschal.
A good observation by As Such Ger, I think, on the midfield issue.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I think we need a beefier half forward line also.
Teams are able to carry the ball out of defence and break through the likes of Shaper, Pascal, Hunt and Neville too easily. If we are going to isolate the inside men, then we should pick tougher players to make the outfield crowding effective.

If we are going to kick a lot of ball in at the isolated inside two, then we should have a gameplan to stop the opposition from working it back out of their own 45. I'd be on for picking the likes of James Keane as a nominal corner forward, but have him contest kickouts and act as a spare man out the field.

the rat
All Star

Post by the rat »

kelly

rafferty daly grennan
mcconway sullivan slattery

mcmanus mcnamee keane

coughlan kelleghan phelan
deehan mcnamee

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

Theres so many ways to line out this Offaly team, but I wouldn't go too mad at making major changes or changing the teams structure, not at this stage of the year anyway!!!

As to the last comment, Daly at full back???? has he even played there before?

I'd have it like this

Podge
Raff Sully Chop
McConway Froggy Slatts
McManus McNamee
Neville (Between midfield and half forward)
Shaper Pascal
Phelan Niall Tommo

the rat
All Star

Post by the rat »

daly dosent have the legs for no.6. evans and mooney are huge losses, we needed them badly last sunday

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Evans is a massive loss!
I'd send a taxi to bring him to the airport and fly him back from Australia!

He might not be 100% fit but some of the Leix lads would be scared of their shite of him!

Overview
Junior B

Team selection

Post by Overview »

Offaly have the players with enough ability to beat laois. It will take brave team selection to pull it off. I sugest the following team has the right balance of experience, flair and pace to trouble any team left in the championship!
Meehan, Casey, Brady, Rafferty, Slattery, Sullivan, Grennan,N.Coughlan A.McNamee, Quinn, Keelaghan, Ryan, Deehan, McManus, McNamee!
Last Word

offleeee
Junior C

Post by offleeee »

i just had to register when i saw that team from overview. a few obvious points-bringing in sean casey after injury for his 1st championship start into an already fragile backline :?: -likewise with sean ryan,far too inexperienced(even though he's very gutsy and full of energy) -starting scott brady full back?why,sully's doing a good job there and as someone said chris conway will suit brady the next day should he line out on the 40. -mcmanus in the full forward line???? this isn't the o'byrne cup im afraid and quite frankly id like to see him stay in midfield,far away from the oppositions goalposts.

i think the backline should stay as it is with mcconway back to wing back.mark daly to to act as third midfielder with hunt to lose out(hasn't done enough in the last 2 matches)and keane to be a replacement should daly run out of gas.leave the two lads inside on their own,they've being doing untold damage in the championship so far and have a wicked partnership going on!! i reckon if we crowd the midfield and win at least 50% possession we should have enough upfront to beat laois.
I don't have to sell my soul, he's already in me

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Re: Team selection

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

Overview wrote:Offaly have the players with enough ability to beat laois. It will take brave team selection to pull it off. I sugest the following team has the right balance of experience, flair and pace to trouble any team left in the championship!
Meehan, Casey, Brady, Rafferty, Slattery, Sullivan, Grennan,N.Coughlan A.McNamee, Quinn, Keelaghan, Ryan, Deehan, McManus, McNamee!
Balance????

Changing to team line up and structure like that will only knock them off their stride!!

Lea-Bally-man
Junior A

Post by Lea-Bally-man »

OK here's mine :
Kelly
Raff Sully Chop
McConway Froggy Slatts
McManus McNamee Neville
Quinny M.Daly Pascal
Deehan McNamee
BA

arbarg
County player

Post by arbarg »

Heres mine,

Kelly

Raff, Sully, Chop

Slatts, Brady, McConway

M.Daly A. Mcnamee

Neville, Quinny, Coughlan

PASCAL

Niall, Tommy

Tom
County player

Post by Tom »

arbarg wrote:Frees are gonna be crucial. so Mcmanus needs to cop on and let someone else have a go. The man need to realise that he cant do it on his own, dont get me wrong I think hes playin well this year and has got stuck in a lot more but his free taking is still woeful.
Why ya drop mcmanus if you think he's playin well?

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

Like him or love him, u can never drop McManus!!