Minors hurlers 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
allstar2010
All Star

Re: Minors hurlers 2022

Post by allstar2010 »

It’s mad to think there was only one starter between Birr, Rynaghs, Coolderry, Shinrone, Clareen, Drumcullen - traditional hurling clubs. Great to see management are searching throughout the county to get the best squad. Well done to all involved.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Yes a mad stat but really its a knock affect to the huge numbers from kk on the panel. who are a really good site at that age. A sure sign that small rular clubs will probbaly struggle going forward at underage also.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

allstar2010 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:10 pm It’s mad to think there was only one starter between Birr, Rynaghs, Coolderry, Shinrone, Clareen, Drumcullen - traditional hurling clubs. Great to see management are searching throughout the county to get the best squad. Well done to all involved.
Interesting point. Thanks for flagging.

As long as the best players are out there it’s all good.

(I know you are not suggesting otherwise)
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Kevin wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:16 pm
allstar2010 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:10 pm It’s mad to think there was only one starter between Birr, Rynaghs, Coolderry, Shinrone, Clareen, Drumcullen - traditional hurling clubs. Great to see management are searching throughout the county to get the best squad. Well done to all involved.
Interesting point. Thanks for flagging.

As long as the best players are out there it’s all good.

(I know you are not suggesting otherwise)
Certain people, more set in their ways, might have snobbish views on what areas and clubs proper hurlers come from. It's less common nowadays.

The dynamics of the county are changing. The traditional hurling areas aren't seeing much population growth and the game needs to be promoted heavily in the areas that are growing.
In some cases 'traditional' is also a code word for being set in their ways and not moving with the times - In how the game is played, how you promote the sport, how you energise the coaches, players, parents etc.

Michael Duignan sums it up here about the developments in his own hinterland.

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1 ... 9451541505

Unfortunately, other clubs may not be driving things forward as eagerly as this.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Galway beat Clare 25 points to 9. Really need Clare to beat Laois now and get Clare in the semi finals then.

Galway would play tipp in the other semi final.

This Year's Model
Junior B

Post by This Year's Model »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:44 pm Galway play Clare in the All-Ireland round robin this Saturday in Athenry (Richie Fitz is refereeing). Laois play the loser on Saturday 28th May, and the other one on Saturday 4th June.

The All-Ireland Minor semi-finals are on weekend 18th/19th June, the same weekend as the All-Ireland Senior quarter-finals. The All-Ireland Minor Final is on weekend 2nd/3rd July, the same weekend as the Senior semi-finals.
Can anyone confirm those semi-final and final dates? Laois are not playing the loser of Galway-Clare on Saturday, so I'm just wondering ...
U17s shouldn't be sitting the Leaving Cert so I guess it makes sense.

Thanks.

Claffey
Junior A

Post by Claffey »

Semi Finals on Sat 18th June and Final Sat 2nd July according to fixtures on GAA.ie. No times yet, but on the same day as Senior quarter finals and Semi final so maybe on before those matches.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

This Year's Model wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:27 pm
Plain of the Herbs wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:44 pm Galway play Clare in the All-Ireland round robin this Saturday in Athenry (Richie Fitz is refereeing). Laois play the loser on Saturday 28th May, and the other one on Saturday 4th June.

The All-Ireland Minor semi-finals are on weekend 18th/19th June, the same weekend as the All-Ireland Senior quarter-finals. The All-Ireland Minor Final is on weekend 2nd/3rd July, the same weekend as the Senior semi-finals.
Can anyone confirm those semi-final and final dates? Laois are not playing the loser of Galway-Clare on Saturday, so I'm just wondering ...

Thanks.
Official GAA fixtures has this game down for Ennis on Saturday afternoon?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

That was me that got that wrong. I think I picked it up from the Laois GAA site. Laois playing Galway in Portlaoise on this Saturday, 28th, followed by Clare v Laois in Ennis on Saturday week.
This Year's Model wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:27 pm

Thanks.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Galway bet laois. 23 to 2 14. All ireland Q final.

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

Do we play Galway so??

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Laois play Clare next. Winner will join Galway in the semis.
The norm would usually be that repeat pairings are avoided. Offaly have already played Laois, Tipp have already played Clare.
Will that apply here?

Claffey
Junior A

Post by Claffey »

I think you are correct Bord na Mona man. Here's an extract form the rules on GAA.ie:
ALL-IRELAND MINOR HURLING CHAMPIONSHIP ... The Munster and Leinster Winners shall automatically qualify for separate Semi-Finals and may not meet the defeated Finalists of their own Province at this stage.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Is the minor all Ireland final on the day of the all Ireland semi finals and not as a curtain raiser to the all Ireland senior final. This is according to the gaa.ie website.

When did this change?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

It was the Covid. The Joe McDonagh final preceded December 2020's All-Ireland final, albeit behind closed doors, while last year's Senior final was A standalone fixture.

Mind you, the Minor final preceding a Senior semi-final mightn't be a bad plan if Offaly are it it. There'll be some chance of getting tickets.
Hasselhoff wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:51 pm Is the minor all Ireland final on the day of the all Ireland semi finals and not as a curtain raiser to the all Ireland senior final. This is according to the gaa.ie website.

When did this change?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.