Minors hurlers 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Re: Minors hurlers 2022

Post by biffinbanner »

is it on tg4

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Yes

alwaysfaithful
Junior C
Club: Offaly

Post by alwaysfaithful »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:22 pm
SearingDrive wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:48 pm
frankthetank wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:44 pm Beat Dublin in the Leinster 2000 minor hurling final in Croke Park.
Thanks, I have a memory of Offaly beating Wexford that year.
Dublin beat Wexford that year:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_All- ... ampionship
In 2000, Beat Kilkenny in the minor Semi. Beat Dublin in Final in croker.

In u21, beat wexford in quarter final, hammered laois in semi in OCP and beat kilkenny in the final. That was quiet a young u21 team too. Very disappointed they didnt win leinster in 2001 as had 10 or 11 starters underage again on top of good crop of minors coming through.

2000 was a great year. Offaly teams very competitive. Club championships very high quality also.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

alwaysfaithful wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:35 pm
Bord na Mona man wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:22 pm
SearingDrive wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:48 pm

Thanks, I have a memory of Offaly beating Wexford that year.
Dublin beat Wexford that year:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_All- ... ampionship
In 2000, Beat Kilkenny in the minor Semi. Beat Dublin in Final in croker.

In u21, beat wexford in quarter final, hammered laois in semi in OCP and beat kilkenny in the final. That was quiet a young u21 team too. Very disappointed they didnt win leinster in 2001 as had 10 or 11 starters underage again on top of good crop of minors coming through.

2000 was a great year. Offaly teams very competitive. Club championships very high quality also.
Yep, 2000 was a highpoint in so many areas. There had been rumblings of concern about the stalling hurling production line so those Leinster titles were a welcome turnaround.

It was also the year Offaly beat All Ireland holders Meath in football. July 2000 was perhaps the biggest peak of Offaly GAA since September 1981 or maybe July 1982.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Hopefully followers from Offaly clubs that wear blue and white don't opt to wear their club rig outs this evening.

At the U20 final last year I saw people wearing their blue and yellow St Rynaghs hoodies and jackets when Roscommon were the opponents.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Could be an avalanche of abuse being fired between genuine Offaly supporters and those blue and white brigands from Tullamore, Croghan, Cappincur, Ballycommon & Doon! Accents won't be able to help differentiate tonight so be careful ye who dare done the blue and white.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:59 pm Could be an avalanche of abuse being fired between genuine Offaly supporters and those blue and white brigands from Tullamore, Croghan, Cappincur, Ballycommon & Doon! Accents won't be able to help differentiate tonight so be careful ye who dare done the blue and white.
😂😂😂 to myself here. Was at a Laois game a few years ago and after about 15 minutes I realized I was in a full blue and white rig out……

Going this evening but have the right colours in order.
Doon exile....

Bord na Mona man
All Star

ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:59 pm Could be an avalanche of abuse being fired between genuine Offaly supporters and those blue and white brigands from Tullamore, Croghan, Cappincur, Ballycommon & Doon!
Usually it's fully deserved for all of the above!

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

8000 tickets sold for this game

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

It’s Offaly’s night.

Geansai Gorm
Senior
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Geansai Gorm »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:17 pm
ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:59 pm Could be an avalanche of abuse being fired between genuine Offaly supporters and those blue and white brigands from Tullamore, Croghan, Cappincur, Ballycommon & Doon!
Usually it's fully deserved for all of the above!
Ahh Lads..!!! jaysus that's harsh. :shock:

Well done to the Minors tonight. Young Ravenhill's family will be mortified with the slew of f*cks out of his mouth in his acceptance, erm...ramble. :lol:

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

What a brilliant evening in portlaois. Well done to team and management.
Doon exile....

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Great win, great to win a title and a trophy.

It was a tight and tense game. Never free flowing. Offaly were calm and even throughout, they weren’t playing the occasion. There was no Braveheart stuff, fellas going bananas, lunging in and swinging wildly. It was the same in the Dublin game, they fell behind but didn't doubt themselves.

There was a huge Leix crowd there, ready to lift the roof off the place, but Offaly never let them smell blood.

The stiff breeze meant it was like a cricket match. Leix got to bat first and had 30 minutes to build up a lead for Offaly to chase in the 2nd half.
The foundations of the win were laid in this half. Leix drove far too many of their long range shots wide, but they were put under enough pressure where they ended up with more wides than points.
Offaly slowed the tempo of the game down, there was no burst of scores conceded.
At the other end it was loaves and fishes. The Offaly forwards were outnumbered, had sparse supply and somehow managed to get points and win frees to outscore the O'Moores.

The 2nd half, and Offaly should drive on from here? But many times the teams expected to drive on doesn't make it happen. The Hollywood shots go wide, the puckouts are landing in different sectors and suddenly you locate undiscovered weak links. A jammy goal is let in and panic spreads.
Thankfully Offaly got scoring early and built up the buffer. Ravenhill stuck over a couple of big ones to stretch the lead and reassure us that it was all in hand. He missed a few as the half wore on but it didn’t matter.

Leix had a mini-revival where they cut the lead from 6 back to 3 but never enough to cause worry. Offaly gradually pulled away. There was no knockout. Just steady jabs instead without any haymakers. An 8 point win, done methodically and with control.

Most of these players were born in 2005, the year Offaly’s slow puncture of a decline turned into a full blowout with a 31-point defeat to Kilkenny. Now here we are looking at Offaly players bossing the high balls, taking high catches at full stretch, a man from Tubber lording it at wing back and the only daft ground pulls were done by the men in blue and white.

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

Great evening in Portlaoise. Great win. Brilliant to see all the children at the game. This will get them dreaming of been an offaly hurler.

The future is bright

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Fair pla :oops: y BNM man, solid analysis of the game.

Amazing occasion and huge crowd, and a great occasion for both counties in the promotion of the game. Well done to the Laois clubs who got such a crew of kids in and their supporters who were their in vast numbers.
But I can't let it pass without saying shame on the Laois County board and the farcical hosting of the game, all aspects of crowd control, (as always in Portlaoise were absent), No stewards outside the gates and only a small number of gates open on the stand side. Other gates for entrance to the terrace closed. Cars going down the road and 2 Gardai shouting at the crowd to keep in when everyone arriving from before 7 were built up around the few gates.
Tannoy system a disgrace, (maybe as well for Dan that it only went out on telly!!) could hear nothing from the terrace side and therefore the kids weren't cleared off the field in time for the second half, and very dangerous with the access to and from the field. (Nearly ripped the arse out of me trousers trying to get on the field at the end!) :oops:

But that aside, unreal composure showed through the game, yes sometimes guys over ran the ball, wrong shot selection which if both of those can be sharpened up on then we have a real opportunity to lift more silverware. The commitment to contesting every ball throughout the field was incredible and given the occasion, it goes to show the type of characters they are.
All the things I hoped yesterday, for their own benefit, they brought to bear, composure, play the match, do the simple things well, these were all on view last night.

At the same time, I went to support them and win lose or draw, you were looking to see can they handle this level and its clear they are a special group and they need to be nurtured carefully.
Locally they need to be looked after but kept grounded, they are 16 and 17 year old kids, 3 years from now (there is some development to go into them during that time), you can start to think about Senior players.
But let this be a catalyst for younger club, development squad players to realise the opportunity to do something special with the right encouragement, management and systems in place throughout HOME, Club, School, College and County.
A proud night to be from Offaly, (and as a football man predominantly), I am delighted for the traditional hurling areas of the county to have this moment to savour, but it brought a tear to my eye to see lads who had performed to such a high level from Tubber and Clara at this level.
Uibh Fhaili abu, and lets get a big crowd into OCP on Sat for the Carlow game for the Seniors.
Be great to get those crowds of kids and more to Croke Park for the Joe Mc final.
I had a whole section to myself for the Christy Ring last year!