The next GAA structure to be redesigned

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

The next GAA structure to be redesigned

Post by Lone Shark »

After all the money that's been spent on Croke Park and countless other provincial grounds around the country, I'm wondering is it time that a serious wedge of capital was sunk into revamping the one structure in the GAA that really and truly is falling asunder all around us - the rule book.

The problem as I see it is that the rule book as a whole is framed by people who had an idea in mind, but invariably weren't people of a legal mindset, and as such their phraseology does not stand up to clinical legal scrutiny. Once upon a time the spirit of the association was generally adhered to, but in the post Rory O'Connell era it seems that personal responsibility on the part of players has been completely eradicated, and since some high profile players have escaped sanction, these are always used a precedent when another case presents itself. The following - as I see it - are the main problems.

(1) Inconsistency regarding video evidence - no-one can be sure whether its use is legitimate or not, and when.

(2) The fact that someone who can be cleared of an offence by way of a loophole cannot be re-accused with the i's dotted and the t's crossed.

(3) Inconsistent suspensions.

(4) The referee's report has to be sacrosanct - even though this goes out the window when it suits people. The ref is human, and can make a mistake. The current Lynch case is an example of that happening, however that doesn't exonerate what Lynch did.

(5) If the GAA rules were clear and unambiguous, we then have no more threat of court action, since these rules can be applied without fear. Now even to mention an offence draws howls of indignation from the accused.

(6) The amount of time it takes for the wheels to turn

Eliminating all this is a noble aim, but like all things, it would come at a price. We like that the association is democratic, but the result of this is that the winds of change blow very gently, certain people at assorted committee levels can push their own agenda (Again, witness Cork - Murphy's chicanery on the Croke Park debate last year), and many changes are reactionary, plugging holes here and there but creating problems elsewhere. The price as I see it, and something that I'd be willing to pay, is that it's time to rewrite the rule book - the whole thing, from the start. The playing rules are fine, and the same ethos should be reflected as it is now, but it is clear that the current rule book is not serving the purpose for which it was intended.

What is needed is for a team to be hired and put in place, comprising of both GAA and legal people, that will go into a dark room for three months and frame the document in such a way as to ensure that the courts are never again required to adjudicate on a GAA matter, that the referee is adequately protected, and that players get punished swiftly for transgressions worthy of suspension, and they only get off if they are completely cleared of the offence - not that they find a loophole. By the time this is paid for, this will cost in excess of a million euro easily, certainly when one factors in that the resultant document would have to first be sent to counties for suggestions, then re-drafted and be put to congress. The hours taken would not come cheap.

This would also require a second unit to be put in place - one disciplinary committee for the country as a whole. Again, this should be a full time unit comprising of GAA and legal people with an intricate knowledge of the rule book, and beyond influence. Being full time, they could deal with all the high profile intercounty matters on Monday, eliminating the current long periods of not knowing what's going on. What's more, they should be responsible for every suspension in the GAA, club, county and underage. That way there is no danger of internal chicanery the likes of which went on in Kerry with Dara Ó'Sé. Any referee's report with a flagged incident, all permissable video evidence should be sent straight to them, then the suspension comes down from on high, with much less risk of influence being wielded.

Such a committee would have to be full time, so the cost would probably be between a half and a quarter of a million per year, but it would free up many volunteer hours among people that currently sit on disciplinary committees across the country. Above all, it would restore the sense of fairness that is currently being eroded.

Am I being too dramatic? Will it all sort itself out over the next few congressional sittings by itself? What do ye think?

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Haven't time to study this post LS, but from a quick skim, then I am in total agreement. It's all fine and dandy to hope lads will obey the 'spirit' as well as the letter of the law, but in this day and age, the GAA is about winning at all costs.

As more of the dreaded money seeps into the sport then people will seek to play the rules, or avoid them, in order to gain success, promotional opportunities etc.

The GAA needs to bite the bullet and TOTALLY re-write the rule book, using a few solicitors/barristers. Eliminate loopholes, incorporate panels which sit on the monday after a game, have referees submit reports via email as well as on paper, so that things can be dealt with quickly.

The games disciplinary procedures are an archaic joke at the moment, and need to be sorted out, ASAP. It would nearly be worth the gate receipts from a couple of those soccer matches to do it.

seamroga
Senior

Post by seamroga »

Just to fill you in, Lone Shark, there is actually a Rule Book Task Force up and running at the moment. They have met loads of times, have taken submissions on board, and produced a report report for last April's Congress in Killarney. As far as I know, there will be a special Congress later this year to implement their recommendations.
Now prepare to throw your eyes up to heaven! The main man on this Task Force, I think, is Frank Murphy of Cork. So I suppose you could say he'll be trying to close off the loopholes that Cork are so adept at exposing. There are legal eagles on board also, one of whom I believe is a son of Kerry legend Mick O'Connell.
By all accounts, they are wading through the official guide word by word. The problem, though, is not just the rules, it's the attitude of County Boards and players who have decided to go to court to get their own way.
It's a tall order to have all the angles covered before walking up the steps of the High Court to defend the G.A.A. against a player who's determined to participate in, let's say, a provincial final even though he should be suspended.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

What I'd like to see is the aims, aspirations and playing rules kept, and the rest of it thrown out and redone from scratch. The problem is that we're plugging holes. If you look at it like a new constitution, then we write, submit to the counties, accept ideas and redraft, and submit to congress again, hopefully with a clean and polished finished product.

All procedures and process should be to facilitate the way we want our games to be played and run, rather than as it is now where the procedures are to facilitate private agendas.

I agree that the county boards are part of the problem, but if we give a clear impression of turning over a new leaf, rather than having applied more band aids, then not everyone would be walking around with a chip on their shoulders like now. As it is, if anyone gets punished for an offence they feel hard done by because others have got away with it before. If we eliminate that feeling of "being picked on" then we have a better chance of people accepting sanctions.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

He he...... on this note, an excellent email sent to me by An Béarcán Bearaigh which I am going to take the liberty of posting up here ......

The Fédération Française de Football (French FA) is set to announce the appointment of Mr Frank Murphy of Cork as Head of their delegation to FIFA which will seek a replay of the 2006 World Cup Final.
Mr Murphy's appointment was made on the evening of France's loss to Italy and has been a closely guarded secret since then.
Mr Murphy, who is now to be called Franc, has apparently prepared a watertight case for the replaying of the game.
The tenet of his argument centres around the referees report which alleges that Zinedine Zidane was sent off for 'headbutting 'the Italian defender Marco Materazzi.
Franc is set to prove that no such word as headbutt exists. Therefore Zidane could not be sent off for an action that doesn't exist. Franc's contention that Zidane's illegal absence had a huge bearing on the result of the game.
He will also argue that Materazzi should be banned for simulation. Using Video evidence of Materazzi lying on the pitch he will argue that as he will have all ready proved that the headbutt didn't exist then FIFA must find that Materazzi dived when he saw Zidane approach him.
Franc had also intended to employ a previously used successful GAA objection citing the existence of 'Z' in both the protagonists names in the referees report. Franc failed to convince the Fédération Française de Football to pursue the argument that the report could be deemed invalid because the letter Z did not exist in the Irish language.
Sources within FIFA suggest that the objection will be successful, Serge Blatter is said to be a huge admire of Franc.
As part of Franc's agreement the Game if replayed will be played in Pairc Ui Chaoimh in October and France will wear Red jerseys. Franc has apparently already proven to the top brass within the GAA that this is not a competing Sport because he is now an honorary member of Fédération Française de Football and Fédération Internationale de Football Association.(FIFA) and therefore the games will be under the control of the Association.
Sources within Fédération Française de Football say they are speechless with admiration for Franc and he will be suitably rewarded. Sources within the FIGC (italian FA)say that their contacts in Sicily generally deal with these issues and appropriate actions are taken. However in this case they felt it was better ignored as they felt that they may be getting in over their heads with Mr.Murphy.