National Foothall league Div 2 predictions

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: National Foothall league Div 2 predictions

Post by Fairplayalways »

Allianz Football League Division 2 round 5
Down v Offaly, Pairc Esler, Saturday -5pm -basement clash, Offaly seem to be improving but this is a long way from home away game, everything here points to a draw - even the tables they are identical in all stats..a draw no use to either -Down might sneak it at home but Ime going for a draw -Offaly 2-10 Down 1-13
Sundays games:
Galway v Clare, Pearse Stadium, 2pm - disapointed in Clare losing by so much to Derry - but Clare have done what was needed in this division in some of their games - cant see them winning here though _ Galway 2-15 Clare 0-12
Meath v Cork, Pairc Tailteann, 2pm - TG4 app (deferred coverage on TG4 from 5.35pm) - God be with the days when this would be a clash of the two best teams in the country and guaranteed an epic - it will be close for sure but not the same glamour as late 80s or early 90s..Meath have better scoring difference and ultimately that points towards Meath winning here...cant figure out Cork at all..Meath 2-12 Cork 0-10
Roscommon v Derry, Dr Hyde Park, 2pm - Derry coming into a tricky game here - Roscommon can hit nice tallies on any given day - but so can Derrry who are top..I think Derry score that little bit more freely and should get a win here - draw very possible - Roscommon 1-12 Derry 2-15.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Good luck to the footballers this weekend!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

We won…….😊😊
Doon exile....

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Super stuff to get win on road like that. Too often we have failed to win games like that. One more point could possibly keep us up?
jimbob

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

The Offaly of old with a great come back, well done to all involved

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Great win. It's a hell of a great sign when Offaly reel off 4 points at the death to win it.

Now let's hope the top teams in the Division don't ease up and give our relegation rivals soft wins.

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Has anyone run the numbers on the likelihood of us staying up now?

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Congrats to all involved.

An uplifting result!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Meath paying cork tomorrown Sunday 13th March, a Meath win here I think would be good for Offaly maybe, leaving Cork and Down bottom, Offaly have Roscommon and Cork I think to come, not sure who Meaths last 2 games or Downs last two are against...I suppose the safest thing for Offaly to do is go out and try and win their last two games and look after their own business...Cork is probably the game they will target though..not a given by any means at all..
As of Saturday 11th March after Offaly beat Down (rest of fixtures tomorrow Sunday 12th March.
Allianz FL2P W D L Dif Pts
Derry 4 4 0 0 37 8
Galway 4 4 0 0 29 8
Roscomm 4 3 1 0 21 7
Clare 4 1 2 1 0 4
Offaly 5 1 1 3 -24 3
Meath 4 0 2 2 -15 2
Cork 4 0 1 3 -23 1
Down 5 0 1 4 -25 1

ditchhurler
Intermediate

Post by ditchhurler »

I think the ideal result for Offaly would be a Cork win today. From memory Meaths last 2 games are Clare and Derry, you’d fancy them 2 to beat Meath and we could stay up on 3 points in theory. But the league does throw up funny results. I think Down are gone, yesterday had to be a gut wrenching blow. Great to see an Offaly team eek out a tight win, lord knows we’ve been on the wrong side of a tight games too often lately

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Will put up how i think the tables are and remaining fixtures, will leave out Galway, Derry and Roscommon.

Clare 4 points minus 6 points difference
Meath 4 points minus 7 points difference
Offaly 3 points minus 24 points difference
Down 1 point minus 25 points difference
Cork 1 point minus 31 points difference

Remaining Fixtures
Clare vs Meath, Down vs Clare
Clare vs Meath, Meath vs Derry
Offaly vs Roscommon, Offaly vs Cork
Cork vs Down, Down vs Clare
Cork vs Down, Offaly vs Cork

Its hard to know who you want to win next week, the killer for me would be a draw in Clare vs Meath, Down win their 2 remaining games and Offaly beat Cork and Offaly go down on score difference. A Clare victory for me is needed next week as Derry would play hard against Meath with promotion on the line in the last game.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

The win for Meath complicates it.
It's now far more likely that Offaly need to get something on the last day against Cork (unless Offaly get a result against Roscommon).
But 3 points now may not be enough to stay up.

There is a scenario where Offaly could stay up on 3 points.
Down beat Cork next week to go to 3 points, but lose to Klare on the last day.
Cork beat Offaly to move to 3 points.
In the 3 way tie scenario, points difference takes over from the head-to-head.

Offaly are now -24
Down are -25
Cork are -31

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Buttons wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:19 pm Its hard to know who you want to win next week, the killer for me would be a draw in Clare vs Meath, Down win their 2 remaining games and Offaly beat Cork and Offaly go down on score difference. A Clare victory for me is needed next week as Derry would play hard against Meath with promotion on the line in the last game.
Yes, Offaly would be safe on 5 points except for that one scenario above.

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

As it stands

Cork really should be there for the taking, especially at home
Attachments
Pp odds
Pp odds
C3094752-BBA8-4346-B26D-7BCB6FF82A25.png (752.15 KiB) Viewed 3955 times

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Methinks a final day shootout against Cork on the 27th in OCP is on the cards.
Cork were atrocious today in Navan, absolutely atrocious. It's a mystery how the chap thats over them got the job, he's genuinely the worst spoofer ever.......his interviews are pure comedy!
That said a final day shoot out could see anything happen, 2 teams desperate not to make a mistake and all that.
However, Offaly can likely put the matter to bed by beating Roscommon this coming Sunday but realistically thats a big ask.

Is there any chance that even 10% of the fair weather supporters who were desperate to be pictured in Croke Park when the under 20's won in August last year might be bothered to come out and support these lads over the next 2 weeks?
Oh and don't give me this talk about the cost involved etc., I can assure you if the Offaly footballers were in the Divison 2 league final there would be 15,000 up in Croke Park that day and the cost wouldn't be an issue.
They honestly deserve our support and we should be able to have 3,000 in Tullamore for each of the next 2 games........not the same old 4 or 500 of us freezing our scrotum's off every time.......The ladies get cold as well but I'm far too polite to get into descriptions :lol: