National Foothall league Div 2 predictions

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Re: National Foothall league Div 2 predictions

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Worst case scenario for us really with both teams drawing in navan

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:06 pm Worst case scenario for us really with both teams drawing in navan
Unless we beat them both. Who knows?
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Lot of focus on Meath and Down but Cork are also in trouble. All 3 are on just 1 point after 3 games.
Cork still have to play both Meath and Down so points could potentially be shared around and thats where that Meath/Down draw could come back to hurt Offaly.

This game on Saturday afternoon against Meath is a must win. The way I see it Offaly need 4 points from a possible 6 from the Meath/Down/Cork games. Score difference isn't looking good now either and you'd expect Galway to make that even worse in a couple of weeks time in the refixture.
You'd be hoping Cork could take the max from Down and Meath but by looks of it none of them are any good so hard to say how them games will go.
Offaly have Cork at home on the last day and to be fair the lads having done some last day Houndini acts recently to stay in Division 3 so I'd take a last day shootout.

It might be a good thing that the Derry and Clare games were so poor. We don't actually know what this Offaly team is capable of in terms of attack but theres no option now on Saturday but for a plan to be put in place to get the scores to win this game.
If no effort is made again to attack on Saturday then I honestly think the county board may have to start asking questions.
Hopefully the extra weeks rest will have its benefits on injuries and will give time to prepare a meaningful game plan.
All anyone that pays into these games wants to see is a genuine effort to win after that whatever happens happens.
Meath are dodgy at the back, it's the kind of game Niall Mc could do serious damage as long as he's not on the half back line chasing back.

Conclusion
It's winnable Saturday. C'mon the lads :D

pigeon house biffo
All Star

I for one want to see more of niall mcnamee scavenging around his own half back line :wink:

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

When is Cian Farrell due back?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Allianz Football League Division 2 round 4 - Saturday:
Offaly v Meath, Bord na Mona O'Connor Park, 2.30pm - A crunch game for both sides - will Offaly have a go here? lets hope so, Meath arent exactly shooting the lights out either but can score goals - Meath 1-10 Offaly 0-08 (hope Ime wrong - a draw you know is very possible - no good to Offaly though)
Cork v Galway, Pairc Ui Chaoimh, 5pm - form would suggest Galway, Cork are stuttering along somewhat - will be closer than most think - Galway 2-12 Cork 1-12
Down v Roscommon, Pairc Esler, 5pm - both drew last day out, Down like Cork stuttering along somewhat - Roscommon drew with Clare in the Hyde _ think Down at home might surprise Roscommon - Down 1-11 Roscommon 1-09 (a draw very possible here)
Clare v Derry, Cusack Park, Ennis, - Sunday 1pm - form suggests Derry, but Clare are certainly more than minding themselves - Derry should have enough fire power over all - Derry 2-14 Clare 1-12

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

JimBwobb wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:36 am When is Cian Farrell due back?
Not exactly sure but at this stage it’s fair to say he’s Offaly’s best forward so sooner the better.

But I think he’s touch and go for championship from my vague recollection of his injury timeframe.

pigeon house biffo
All Star

Do or die today. Anything but a win is no use, let the shackles off, meath are nothing worth playing defensive for.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Some sickner. Anyone see a video of square ball incident. I thought the lad who caught the ball initially was in the square.
Doon exile....

italia90
Junior A

Post by italia90 »

An improvement today for Offaly. Goal at the end was a sickener. It looked to be a square ball. We had possession prior to that and gave it straight back. Meath created 5/6 goal chances. We had two. Our goal was very well worked. Paddy Dunican had a great game in goals. James lalor and deccie Hogan impressed. Colm Doyle had a good game. Midfield held their own and contributed in open play. Dylan Hyland finished with four from play I believe. He's far from the finished article but that's seven from play in our last two outings. Ruairi created more today. Jack Bryant showed well without being a threat. Niall mc had some very good moments.
Meath are very poor it has to be said. But have to commend Offaly. Only a point up at halftime after playing with the breeze, they showed a lot of composure at times in second half. It's an improvement. Pity we didn't hold on but at least we've a point on the board. Can't fault the effort, moments of quality mixed in with mistakes and turnovers but a very good effort into that breeze in second half.

pigeon house biffo
All Star

From listening on radio laz molloy was saying colm doyle was very poor?

Thought pearson would have been worth a run based on recent form

Faithful follower
Junior B
Club: Dublin

Post by Faithful follower »

Very disappointed today we had the game won and poor game management let us down . Paddy was outstanding save our bacon a good few times over all we did well but what we’re management doing , bringing in small forwards to defend a lead against a hardy meath team, someone thought this game was in the bag and they went for a razzmatazz finish with the introduction of the u20 stars , Meath on the other hand had other ideas , where was the leadership it started with a free we won on the forty yard line that was kicked into touch and panic ensued until the end . Someone needs to be call out here if this happened in underage there would be words .

pigeon house biffo
All Star

I think the current management are on the wind down.

Expect to see a change after this summer.

Questions about O’Ses role abound, hard to see how he’s had any influence at this point

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Could have been better, could have been worse.
At least Cork and Down lost heavily so there are 4 teams scrapping it out at the foot of the table.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:21 pm From listening on radio laz molloy was saying colm doyle was very poor?

Thought pearson would have been worth a run based on recent form
Maybe looking for a spot for his own club man who was taken off very early - wouldn't surprise me at all. Doyle is a good player, nothing Flash but does basics well and is clever in possession.

Disappointing re result given where we were but only for Dunican in goal, Meath could have had lead at that point. Wasn't there but from listening on radio, Dylan Hyland seems to be having real impact in forward line which is great. Fairly sure most would not have foreseen this level of impact given it is his first real run at Co senior. With Horan having stepped away, Hyland intro fills a void that was left quite well.

Think we are too dependent currently on young lads who are not yet ready. Yes we won an u20 but Jesus lads, perspective is needed. Huge jump to Co senior from u20. Too many being fired in before time in my opinion. All should be left with 20s bar those overage for 20 this year. Cormac Egan is only 18. Should be left alone.

Read that our 20s were hammered by Clare today as a result. Their priority should be winning another Leinster at u20 level. There are lots of chaps over 20 good enough to carry the load for now at senior. Where have likes of Carl Stewart and Jack Quinn gone? They are 2 lads considered good enough to play championship last year.

Physically, are Bryant and Pearson up to senior inter county football just yet or would they be better served by staying with 20s? May be better served by working on getting stronger for a year. Bryant has scored only 1 point in the league to date while Pearson's pace gives him an extra edge but neither are any more than 19 yrs of age. They should be left with u20s.

Was Donnelly injured or what?

Beyond that, I sense that this will be JMs last year. I just hope that if and when it ends, that we have a better succession plan than giving the role to Tomas O'Se, someone who is extremely inexperienced when it comes to management experience.
jimbob