Club Managements

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Club Managements

Post by Tmacmahon »

Baker is a great appiontment . Might be whats needed although one wonders have belmont missed the chance over the last few years. they semmed so close at times.

Cappincur
Shamrocks
Edenderry
ferbane : loads of names being brnaded around

any word ?.

Birr hurlers? had chedder, who now?

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:59 pm a cop or two on the Belmont squad probably opened up the door for Baker as he is guard in Tullamore, interesting to see how he does with Belmont, they have gone back a little on the form which almost got them over the line the last few years, be it this years championship was stop/start etc..problem for them now is they are gaining one or two new players but probably losing the likes of David Kenny and Colin Egan over the next couple of years...if not this year..
Ollie Baker is Garda Inspector in Tullamore. He might arrest their apparent slide😊

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Brendan bulger over birr

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

private joker wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:47 pm Brendan bulger over birr
Is that Brendan Bugler, former Clare hurler?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

interesting appointments, in Belmont and Birr, Birr in particular will feel they have the talent (outsiders have quesitoned this over the last few years I know) but they are still always there or there abouts come the last 2/4 each year...Bugler is abit like Michael Fennelly taking over Offaly experiece wise...an interesting decision and while not a Birr man wouldnt it be great if a team could come out of Offaly again and really give the club a go, infairness, Coolderry and KK have knocked at the door of AI Club success....a few Leinster Clubs would surely benefit Offaly hurling...

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

"a few Leinster Clubs would surely benefit Offaly hurling"

The question is what these guys will bring to the table in developing the atitude of the huring fraternity in these areas re the transition of the game from the time when we were winning a "few Leinster clubs"?
What are they going to bring that a local coach won't, what are they aiming to change, develop?

I don't know anything about Bugler as a coach but he was a fairly committed player in his day.
I'm not against the outsider philosophy at all and I think that it is useful in many cases. My fear is that when it is done without due diligence as to what is expected and the ability of the person to deliver.
I'm not in anyway casting any doubt on either of these appointments, just a general observation.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

SearingDrive wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:46 pm
Yeah thats him..from Scariff....a good hurler he was too...

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:19 pm
Last edited by Fairplayalways on Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Sur lookit wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:46 pm "a few Leinster Clubs would surely benefit Offaly hurling"

The question is what these guys will bring to the table in developing the atitude of the huring fraternity in these areas re the transition of the game from the time when we were winning a "few Leinster clubs"?
What are they going to bring that a local coach won't, what are they aiming to change, develop?

I don't know anything about Bugler as a coach but he was a fairly committed player in his day.
I'm not against the outsider philosophy at all and I think that it is useful in many cases. My fear is that when it is done without due diligence as to what is expected and the ability of the person to deliver.
I'm not in anyway casting any doubt on either of these appointments, just a general observation.
I hear what your saying, but I would understand a county going to see where they go by bringing in such and such a coach, a club in general is a smaller fish to speak, and it is probably just about getting the best out of what talent is at that club as opposed to planning big time going down the road as I would put it...that said, he (Bugler) was involved in the Davy Fitszgerald set up (in Wexford I think) so I suppose he is another one cutting his own teeth now in management, and they have to start somewhere, and I think a club, especially as sucessful as Birr, is good starting point, they all have to start somewhere and I am sure he was asked by other clubs too..with the Fitzgerad involvement its all about optics when being looked at to take over any job...I would say Offaly jumped bigger into the unknown with Michael Fennelly than Birr did appointing Bugler....Fennellys is a bigger chalice (and alot more poision in it as he knew comming in) Birrs, a big job, but it wont define Bugler as a manager if he fails, he will have to be unsucessful with a few for him to be deemed a non sucess...somehow I think he will do ok with Birr, no doubt he will have his own team with him plus a few locals...interesting again to see how it goes, Birr will be looking for someone to get the extra 20% or so they have been lacking in the last few years, they wont be planning too far ahead....steady as she goes as they say....I do take the point about the bigger picture overall, but as I say, a county final is what most Offaly teams want, but with Birr if they get one, it could lead to a Leinster they are that type of club....

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I agree with the point also but I do realise clubs like Birr and Belmont appointing big names as such think that might bring hem to the next level and get that county title which they have came short of.
When Barry Whelahan stepped down as manager Birr were always going outside the county as I do not think anyone within fitted the bill.
They wanted a big name and came within a whisker of Cheddar been appointed.
So when they met Bugler and heard what he brought to the table the must of been very impressed as that was the calibre of manager they wanted. I think it is a good appoinment and hopepfully one that can get them over the line in the next year or two.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

He certainly isn’t from Scariff. He’s from Whitegate.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

frankthetank wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:29 pm

He certainly isn’t from Scariff. He’s from Whitegate.
Correct, Bugler is from Whitegate and was one of the main players with Clare for 10 years or so until he retired. A steely centre or wing back who won it all including 2 all stars and one in a year when Clare were not successful. If he was from Tipp or Kilkenny and had more success during this time, he would probably be considered one of the all time greats.

He is young and new enough to coaching at adult level but would have been heavily involved at schools level in St Flannans where he has developed a strong reputation and hence the reason that Fitzgerald brought him to Wexford.

He will need a lot of good inside people around him if Birr are to win but there is no doubt but that he has the players capable of winning a championship if they apply themselves. It was a shame they threw it away last year to St Rynaghs and Whelehan has done a very good job in reasonably short space of time with them.

On another note, I think Trevor Fletcher has done a fantastic job with Belmont. They really were on the edge of winning a championship and should have at least played in one final in last 3 or 4 years. Is it true he has moved on to another club?

Any other new appointments Shinrone Coolderry Clareen, Ballinamere?

Baker seems like a good appointment for Belmont.

On football front, have Ferbane same management as previous or are there changes?
jimbob

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Fair play to Brendan for volunteering his spare time to help out a club like this.
Volunteerism is the cornerstone of the GAA and always will be. Others would do well to follow his lead.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

He obviously really got a taste for volunteerism while making the journey from Clare to Wexford for training.

I wouldn’t agree with the previous poster’s assessment of his hurling ability but that’s neither here nor there.

On the coaching front, he was a staunchly loyal lieutenant of Davy Fitzgerald (once heard that on the way home from a league match that the Clare bus stopped at a shop. Tony Kelly went in on and bought sweets and chocolate and Bugler rang Davy about it as Davy wasn’t on the bus!) so I’d consider thats the main reason he was brought to Wexford to be quite honest.

On a factual point actually, St Flannans haven’t won an All Ireland colleges in 16 years, havent competed in one in 15 years and have only won one Harty Cup in 15 years. So how successful has his coaching career really been in Flannans as the previous poster alluded to?

A lot of that post smacks of hyperbolic fan boy BS to me.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

Sean Dempsey is gone from ferbane . gone to st.johns ballinteer in Dublin .