Offaly Hurling 2020

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurling 2020

Post by Fairplayalways »

I must look at the recording again...the game I watched Saturday was poor in my view..some team play but alot of individual performances...Down will be a tougher task, I think, we will win, I think, hopefully the performance will be better as the one I seen was mediocre, and thats as much as I would call it..

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

I'd tend to agree with most of POTH has said, (albeit it can get a bit tiresome of "driving" home the same points).
We worked the ball really well, maybe this was assisted by the quality of the opposition, but there was a plan and an ambition.

How is it fair to have to travel north of the border again though? Should this not be a neutral venue?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Thanks for that, S.

Just on the venue. Derry were due to be at home to Offaly due to being first out of the hat, but as there were >130 miles between the counties, it reverted to a neutral venue. I presume there was a bias towards Derry as they 'lost' their home fixture, leaving Offaly with a longer 'drive'.

Down are at home in the semi-final as they came in the front door, so to speak. Technically Offaly lost their first round to Kildare, requiring Offaly to 'drive' to Newry. On the same basis, Kildare are at home to Roscommon in the other semi-final.

It could be worse, the match could have been fixed for Ballycran, leaving Offaly with a ferry trip as well as the longer 'drive' to Strangford. All that driving would kill ya!
Sur lookit wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:30 pm I'd tend to agree with most of POTH has said, (albeit it can get a bit tiresome of "driving" home the same points).
We worked the ball really well, maybe this was assisted by the quality of the opposition, but there was a plan and an ambition.

How is it fair to have to travel north of the border again though? Should this not be a neutral venue?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

A big weekend for us and i know we will be fancied and should win with a little bit to spare, i think this year might be a blessing in disguise for the guys and the management. a little time to rebuild without huge prssure . time to work on different idea's and gameplans , it can be worked on in an almost training like atmosphere within a competiotn we will win.
the challenge will come next here but if the sructure are correct we should be able to make that step up with a solid foundation beneath us.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

The best formline we have is that Down beat Derry by a goal and Offaly ran out more comfortable winners against the same opposition.

Remember though, with 15 minutes left Offaly were 7 points ahead of Derry, so it wasn't a trouncing at that stage. They pulled away in the end right enough, which is easy to do when a team becomes demoralised.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

interesting to see what team we go with, I might not have been overly impressed with the Derry performance, but look,maybe we need to give lads a second go in a knock out game and see how they fare...we should win, but I dont think we will win by a huge score..1-22 to 1-17 or something like that, or knock off the goals maybe...

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Offaly ---Christy Ring Cup SH v Down

Stephen Corcoran
Ciaran Burke,
Ben Conneely,
Paddy Delaney;
Damien Egan,
Cillian Kiely,
David King;
Eoghan Cahill,
David Nally;
Shane Kinsella,
Jason Sampson,
Peter Geraghty;
Colm Gath,
Oisin Kelly,
Liam Langton.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

That's an interesting development. I wonder were the Offaly management expecting Derry to play with just five forwards, and so picked just two who would be recognised full-back line personnel, but now revert to an orthodox formation on Saturday, expecting the hosts to line out with six forwards? I haven't watched Down, but no doubt Offaly have.

A tough challenge tomorrow, made all the more challenging by lads having to travel individually by car to Newry. But in a year dominated by Covid-19, such are the obstacles to be overcome. Offaly can't afford another round of close contacts.

As for the match: Trust the plan. The plan will work.
Tmacmahon wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:34 pm Offaly ---Christy Ring Cup SH v Down

Stephen Corcoran
Ciaran Burke,
Ben Conneely,
Paddy Delaney;
Damien Egan,
Cillian Kiely,
David King;
Eoghan Cahill,
David Nally;
Shane Kinsella,
Jason Sampson,
Peter Geraghty;
Colm Gath,
Oisin Kelly,
Liam Langton.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

As far as I can make out, included in the nine who didn't travel last Saturday are Conor Langton and Joey Keenaghan (both of whom travel tomorrow), while Shinrone are sending well wishes to Michael (presumably Cleary), Killian (presumably Sampson) and Éamonn (presumably Cleary) who are on the panel, while Kinnitty have two Paddys on the panel, so Paddy Rigney must be there too.
JimBwobb wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:23 pm Fennely mentioned in his post match interview that 9 players were left at home today as they could only bring 26.

Anyone know whom these 9 compromise of? Interested to see the full extended panel.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Offaly to win by 15 points or more.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

winning by 15 points is being optimistic, it could well happen, we could and should but might not either, we finished 3rd in Division 2A, behind Antrim and Kerry, and to be honest, finishing behind them two, you are in the bracket of teams like Derry, Down (in recent years) and Meath and Kildare etc. so we are where we are, the tables are below, and we have no devine right to beat Derry (although we did) and Down tomorrow, they wont be terrified of Offaly, I dont think Down ever feared Offaly in hurling and beat us in league one time many moons ago...I am glad to see the Shinrone lads getting into the team last two games to see how they go, Oisin Kelly needs to be consistent now too, lads saying his as strong as an OX and can run at defences, but we need to see that consistently and on the score board...he is our marquee forward but has had a few games too where he was barely noticeable on the field, he is an excellent hurler but needs to be making his name now at this level, the higher we go hopefully, the standard will be higher, and this level is where, 2 or 3 goals and a couple of points at the very least would be expected from players of hsis calibre, he has the ability and talent of that there is no doubt, lads comming on saying he made this score and that score etc. brilliant, and he does that too, but he can do both, make scores and score himself, so we need to see that, especially in games like these to get abit of confidence going...I would be giving him a few close in frees to "kick start" him abit scoring wise...most other counties marquee players are free takers too, it gets them into the game and confidence grows and players react then to them playing well..., Cillian Kiely while excellent at CB, wasted back there, his energy and drive I think would be a massive plus from midfield up, including carrying the ball into the forward line for Kelly and others to peel away and make space...but anyway...Pairc TV are streaming it so for €5 well worth the money, I think we will win but by what I dont know, I will go with Offaly though...here is how both sides finished up their respective leagues... as I say, we are near enough in ranking to them in ways..Good luck to all tomorrow and I think we will put in a good performance..and win!

Allianz HL 2A 2020 P W D L Dif Pts
Antrim 5 4 1 0 63 9
Kerry 5 4 0 1 27 8
Offaly 5 3 1 1 48 7
Meath 5 2 0 3 -26 4
Wicklow 5 1 0 4 -38 2
Mayo (R) 5 0 0 5 -74 0

Allianz HL 2B 2020 P W D L Dif Pts
Derry 5 4 1 0 33 8
Down 5 4 0 1 53 8
Kildare 5 3 1 1 61 6
Roscommon 5 2 0 3 -30 4
London 5 1 0 4 -33 2
Warwickshire (R) 5 0 0 5 -84 0

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

fairplayalways wouldn’t agree with you on cillian kiely comment, i think centre or fulback is the place for him played a good bit minor for county and club in the backs . i remember him hurling minor i think he was only 16 at the time again carlow in portlaoise at number 6 he was outstanding. anyway best of luck to the players and backroom team . last weeks game will bring them on offaly by 10 points.

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Is Shane Dooley apart of the set.up this year?

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:14 pm winning by 15 points is being optimistic, it could well happen, we could and should but might not either, we finished 3rd in Division 2A, behind Antrim and Kerry, and to be honest, finishing behind them two, you are in the bracket of teams like Derry, Down (in recent years) and Meath and Kildare etc. so we are where we are, the tables are below, and we have no devine right to beat Derry (although we did) and Down tomorrow, they wont be terrified of Offaly, I dont think Down ever feared Offaly in hurling and beat us in league one time many moons ago...I am glad to see the Shinrone lads getting into the team last two games to see how they go, Oisin Kelly needs to be consistent now too, lads saying his as strong as an OX and can run at defences, but we need to see that consistently and on the score board...he is our marquee forward but has had a few games too where he was barely noticeable on the field, he is an excellent hurler but needs to be making his name now at this level, the higher we go hopefully, the standard will be higher, and this level is where, 2 or 3 goals and a couple of points at the very least would be expected from players of hsis calibre, he has the ability and talent of that there is no doubt, lads comming on saying he made this score and that score etc. brilliant, and he does that too, but he can do both, make scores and score himself, so we need to see that, especially in games like these to get abit of confidence going...I would be giving him a few close in frees to "kick start" him abit scoring wise...most other counties marquee players are free takers too, it gets them into the game and confidence grows and players react then to them playing well..., Cillian Kiely while excellent at CB, wasted back there, his energy and drive I think would be a massive plus from midfield up, including carrying the ball into the forward line for Kelly and others to peel away and make space...but anyway...Pairc TV are streaming it so for €5 well worth the money, I think we will win but by what I dont know, I will go with Offaly though...here is how both sides finished up their respective leagues... as I say, we are near enough in ranking to them in ways..Good luck to all tomorrow and I think we will put in a good performance..and win!

Allianz HL 2A 2020 P W D L Dif Pts
Antrim 5 4 1 0 63 9
Kerry 5 4 0 1 27 8
Offaly 5 3 1 1 48 7
Meath 5 2 0 3 -26 4
Wicklow 5 1 0 4 -38 2
Mayo (R) 5 0 0 5 -74 0

Allianz HL 2B 2020 P W D L Dif Pts
Derry 5 4 1 0 33 8
Down 5 4 0 1 53 8
Kildare 5 3 1 1 61 6
Roscommon 5 2 0 3 -30 4
London 5 1 0 4 -33 2
Warwickshire (R) 5 0 0 5 -84 0
A tough game ahead in Newry, Offaly will need to impose themselves early. Down are at home, and will not fear Offaly as quoted. Offaly to win facing a strong home challenge.

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Offaly 1.09 - Down 1.08 at Half Time

Miserable day in Newry for hurling. Let's start with the negatives:

Too much wayward shooting
Too many fouls
Hurling as individuals
No gameplan

Now on to the positives: