Offaly Hurling 2020

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
frankthetank
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurling 2020

Post by frankthetank »

For the 2020 club championships 40% of the starting team either didn’t win a game or were hurling Senior B championship. That stretches to 54% if you take the 26 into consideration.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Match results of their respective clubs wouldn't really be a factor here. It might if selecting 15 individuals, but the reality is they are selecting a team. You can't be picking a county team based on a quota system. It's not the All Stars.

I'd prefer to see a ream who fits the plan, and vice versa. The plan on a very basic level should involve how they deal with restarts and how they make space for their forwards. It should also consider how they deal with the opposition's threats. There's plenty of recent video footage of Derry online.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Maybe, but I feel it shows that this management haven’t managed to get the best available players in the county to commit.

And then when you do get the best players for a certain position i.e Goalkeeper, and leave him on the bench for the biggest game of the year it’s hard to have faith.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

https://derrygaa.ie/christy-ring-derry-v-offaly/

On the matter of team selections and clubs etc, it’s interesting to note Kevin Lynch’s have 7 starters for Derry while Slaughtneil only have 4.

And a small piece here on Offaly and Derry’s previous championship meeting in 2000

https://the42.ie/5257922

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

frankthetank wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:25 pm Maybe, but I feel it shows that this management haven’t managed to get the best available players in the county to commit.

And then when you do get the best players for a certain position i.e Goalkeeper, and leave him on the bench for the biggest game of the year it’s hard to have faith.
What players are you referring to?

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Job done in Newry, onto the semi final now.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

32 points to 1 -12. Big win and should be similar results in all offaly matches this year in the christy ring.
Last edited by private joker on Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Good win for Offaly today. Important to get the right result.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

well done to all good win scoring o-32 points id say thats a first time to hit that many points .

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Fennely mentioned in his post match interview that 9 players were left at home today as they could only bring 26.

Anyone know whom these 9 compromise of? Interested to see the full extended panel.

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Down it is in the semi final.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Alot commenting on the match, did many actually watch it on the stream...I did, and while we won and scored 0-32, it wasnt pretty viewing. We hurled more like 15 individuals than a team (not all now) There was a bit of intensity to be fair in the game, from Derry. Offaly just hurled what I would call a very loose and individual type of hurling, basically our 15 were better than theres, not in all positons I might add but over all. Not one goal, or even the hint of one, not that we really needed any, but if we did I couldnt see where one was going to come from. And thats all very well saying we didnt need them, but cannot switch on a tap in bigger games when we do need goals and expect to get them, if we arent scoring them in games like this.

I am not upto speed with Down in recent times, I know they were a decent side back in the mid 1990s...if they were watching Offaly yesterday, they wont be terrified of playing us, We had players in positions yesterday for the sake of it from what I could make out, Eoghan Cahill (playing probably unaware his uncle had passed away and I am mindful of that) was excellent from his frees and I think he got one or two from play, but is he a midfielder?? other than frees I didnt see anything from him, we will have bigger battles ahead and will need a bit of cutting from midfield up. Cillian Kiely and Ben Conneely (the latter not his normal leading performer) are the only two that I seen had a bit of go about them, David King battle hard too..maybe yesterday was just about getting result and moving on in this competition, if so, grand, but the game I watched leaves me very very worried about tougher tests ahead, if we get far enough to meet the tougher tests. Nothing personal against anyone involved at all, its just my observations after watching the full game. no goals, and no threath of them, (regardless of needing them or not) does not show a ruthless streak, needed to survive...

Liam2020
Senior
Club: Kinnity

Post by Liam2020 »

A win is a win, its all about getting back to Joe mac.
That team wouldn't beat st rynagh or kk but it's about promotion and blooding young guys. this year.
We seem to be playing a running game , I think half our scores came from free which is a worry and we didn't score a goal.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

zero intensity, and that is something you just cannot turn on the day you are facing a stronger team, look at Laois for the last few years may not have won too much but by God there is an intenisty there every day almost...no goals is a fierce worry...

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

A few thoughts, having watched it again.

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Really impressed with Offaly’s movement in attack. Very un-Offaly, and a welcome addition. Nobody stood still, lads positioned on the left showed up on the right and vice versa. The space to make the runs was created by Offaly’s half-forward line coming well outfield.

That movement meant there was almost always an option for the man in possession. And a moving target at that. Some of the support play was top class, leading to passes being swiftly exchanged. Used the full width of the pitch. Ben Conneely’s support run to collect the pass and take a score in the first half was memorable. Again, very un-Offaly like, and a welcome addition.

Previously, Offaly would have been severely discommoded by an opposition playing with a seventh defender. But on Saturday Offaly took charge. Played the ball well out of defence. Didn’t drive it down the neck of the sweeper and didn’t allow Derry use the extra man to create overlaps. Indeed, it was difficult to tell who the Derry sweeper actually was. Offaly forced Derry to clear down to Cillian Kiely. And forced Derry to change plan at half-time. Again, very un-Offaly like, and a welcome addition.

Where does David Nally get his energy from?

Colm Gath’s pace is a useful asset.

Naturally the Derry sending off had a bearing. But you can’t go swiping with the hurl at lads like that.

Offaly are probably better off without a crowd in attendance, growling “drive it” with every handpass, and cheering every skied clearance before it lands in the grateful hand of an opponent.

That said, some of the handpassing needs to be sharper. And it is frustrating to see Offaly waving the hurl at balls dropping from the sky. Those need to be grabbed at the first time of asking. The Derry goal came from one such ball not being dealt with.

Naturally Down will have taken careful note of Offaly’s strengths and weaknesses. But Offaly have a process now (again, very un-Offaly like…). Having that process will add consistency to their game. If they stick to the plan the results will follow. The old ways of depending on being underdogs, depending on the opponents being off colour and depending on shouting and roaring are the cause of Offaly’s traditional inconsistency. Naturally, Down will bring its own challenges, but if Offaly trust the plan they will get there.

A good day’s work.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.