DIV 3 NFL predictions and general chit chat.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Re: DIV 3 NFL predictions and general chit chat.

Post by greenairfield »

On what grounds can people say we wont beat tipp? Ridiclious statement considering we are around the same level as them.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:59 am I hear where you are comming from relegation wise, not sure whom the teams below us have in their last games but we have Derry and Tipperary, and realistically will struggle to get even a draw against Tipperary, we wont beat Derry, so if the other teams have wins we could be in bother...whatever about not letting Cian Johnston in against teams if we were in Div 1 or 2, surely he deserves a full gig in a game in Div 3...they will stay messing about with him now and he will leave altogether...I assume he is towing the line at training etc...
Tipperary with 3 points are up next, they need another win to be safe, and play Leitrim away in the last game, probably a relegation decider. Tipperary lost to Cork by a point, and put up a big score losing to Longford.
Tough one for Offaly, as is the home game v Derry. In my opinion, Offaly need to win one of their remaining games, just to banish the threat of relegation. A big ask.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

greenairfield wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:09 pm On what grounds can people say we wont beat tipp? Ridiclious statement considering we are around the same level as them.
its may be incorrect to state we wont beat tipp, time will tell, it is not rediculous to say we may not, total score of 74 points for Tipp (includes only 3 goals scored) conceded 73 points in total - admittedly a massive 7 goas conceded...on the other hand, Offaly combined scored 73 points - including 4 goals made up of two each against the basement teams - 2 against Leitrim came when they went down to 11 players to the best of my memory. conceded 77 points - admittedly only 2 goals conceded V Louth - whom again are basement team)

So as you can see its very very finely balanced, personally I cannot see us scoring enough to beat Tipp, they have one point more scored for them than us, and we are simply terrified to shoot so I think Tipp defence will have a good day if we dont start shooting for scores..
Last edited by Fairplayalways on Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Very poor performance on Sunday. We need a win the next day. We need to see Cian .

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

if he is good enough now he has to start..its div 3 of the NFL for fs sake..let him cut his teeth...

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Niall Mc Namee returned to the pitch v Limerick in a challenge game at the faithful fields within the last week..... great to see him back on the pitch :D

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

anyway, for what its worth, heres my take on this weekends Div 3 fixtures:
FL Division 3 round 6
Down v Leitrim, Pairc Esler, Sat 14th March 7pm -Down to win by 7/8 points one would think, Leitrim may have a spring in them after win last day.
Cork v Louth, Pairc Ui Chaoimh, Sun 15th March 2pm - Cork will surely do the biz here, at home, and by 6/7 points
Derry v Longford, Celtic Park,Sun 1th March 2pm - Derry have home advantage, Longford have scored well in most games, hard to see them win here though.
Tipperary v Offaly, Semple Stadium, Sun 15th March 2pm - Offaly badly need a win to keep any chance alive while hoping for slip up in teams above them, very hard to see the slip ups happening, if Offaly can throw off the cautious shackles when they get within 20-30 yards of goal they would win this game, problem is I dont think they will do that. Great if Niall McNamee and Cian Johnson were to start at least and play maybe a full half and see how they go, but neither probably will. I am going for a Tipp win or even a draw.

Tullman
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Tullman »

Any chance of us lining out with ruairi mcnamee Anton Sullivan panda Niall mcnamee and Cian Johnson all starting? All great forwards who can get a score and for the opposition which one do you man mark? I know it’s unlikely but why not? What have we got to lose

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Tullman wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:50 pm Any chance of us lining out with ruairi mcnamee Anton Sullivan panda Niall mcnamee and Cian Johnson all starting? All great forwards who can get a score and for the opposition which one do you man mark? I know it’s unlikely but why not? What have we got to lose
Who knows, but I like the idea of our opposition sweating through decisions like that.Forcing them to react to our strengths for a change. Putting them under pressure before the throw in. Seems like a positive thing for our side.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Would cian farrell not fall into that bracket ?

Tullman
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Tullman »

Yes he would but he’s out injured at the moment

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

very hard to see any opposition fretting about what team we put out, they know and most on here know there is little difference in standard, I personally would be like poster above and go for it with a potentially score getting forward division and give a bit of a buzz to the squad, and the subs then comming in would surely tap into the positiveness...chances of that happening now are slim to put it mildly...

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

looks of things the league is over

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I was just thinking earlier, we had snow or rain or something one weekend last year and the whole system nearly crashed such was the timeframe of games...no games now for a few weeks at the very earliest, interesting to see how this pans out, here Ime saying go back to the knockout championship for this year:))

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

The National Football League resumes this weekend, Offaly are away to Tipperary, unless the country goes into Level 4 or Level 5. Tipperary will have a number of players back, who opted out of the panel ahead of the original fixture. Offaly are on 5 points, Tipperary are on 3 points.
Any thoughts on the match?