DIV 3 NFL predictions and general chit chat.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
frankthetank
All Star

Re: DIV 3 NFL predictions and general chit chat.

Post by frankthetank »

Joe Maher is a total embarrassment. How many championship matches has he won with Offaly? And he's releasing "statements". Lord God.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

ah I wouldnt be getting to bogged down on how Joe Maher issued his views..its all online now etc. if he gave an interview to local paper people would be giving out about going that route, I seen him hurl with Belmont and he is a decent enough hurler too as well as being a good enough footballer, I think its a personal thing with the management or one the management, if it isnt Maughan himself, Maughan is the manager, and if Joe Maher is good enough to be on the Offaly panel Maughan should ask him, I personally think he is good enough, he is as good as whats there at the moment, accepting Mahers own word, he couldnt commit to early part of last season, when he was then available, accepting Maughan and Tommy Byrnes intervention, the panel was finalized "Good luck with your sporting career" etc...fair enough last year, this league is a new ball game again, she should have been asked back, possibly yes. I hear people on about Nigel Dunne should be back on the panel, he should, but if he has openly removed himself from the set up, thats that then. I will balance up the Joe Maher view above, and not mentioned here Shane Tierney issue (similar to Mahers) for them to be brought on at any stage, start, middle or end, of campaign, someone else is going to be dropped. I am sure the lads in there have given 100% commitment so you have to give credit for that too...who would be a manager...pity Maher isnt there, seen him in both codes and good ball winner and able to pull a score when needed, his play making is very good...if people are asking and "giving out" about him possibly not playing for Offaly, maybe he felt he had to issue some sort of statement to put his side forward...just saying...

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Did Shane Tierney make a statement as well?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

he was pictured also on Midland Tribune this week, and both players gave their accounts on not being involved with OSF this year.

Tmacmahon
All Star

Post by Tmacmahon »

can I ask what both players said or what was the context?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

ah both more or less said the same, they werent asked back this year in October approximately, both said they texted and rang Maughan to see what they needed to do and not one call/text was answered (paraphrasing this for both) Tierney said some senior players told him that Maughan had no time for him (Tierney)...its all there in the Midland Tribune...

Tmacmahon
All Star

Post by Tmacmahon »

Thanks for that. I dont know what to make of all this tbh. I'm a little torn.
LS give us your tuppenceworth :D

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

every county has this situation, didnt Lee Brennan drop himself from Tyrone squad this year, it happens, only we notice it more given how limited we are, but so be it, realistically, in either hurling or football, you will not get every good player on board, personalities of both management and players alike, alright saying "get them on board"..there is no getting around some people and Ime talking both sides on that...Niall McNamee has had plenty of days when he pulled offaly over the line, and also plenty of days when I wondered was he on the field at all..they are human at the end of the day and can only do so much..you need 2/3 of the "Niall McNamees" and thats why one or so can have an off day and it wont be missed too much..if you only have one, and he is double marked etc...he isnt superman...

Tmacmahon
All Star

Post by Tmacmahon »

There is definitely a growing questioning as to why so many of our best players are absent from the panel. People are rightly asking questions. In one way its great Shane and Joe made statements, but I can also see why people think it’s ridiculous considering they would not maybe have done enough in the game to justify making statements. They probably feel that rumours keep going on as to why they are not there.

Joe: fell out with O Malley when they worked together with Ferbane regarding a WhatsApp message Joe sent into the group questioning O Malley’s training.
Maughan took exception to Joe not making himself available straight away when asked in last year.
Joe released a statement since outlining the situation. Joe is better than most in there. The statement is perhaps a little embarrassing and cringy, the fact remains he is better than a lot of what’s in there. Get him back in john Maugham

Shane Tierney: Was he dropped? Presumbly so, then Tried to make contact to find out why, Maughan ignored all contact.
Has since aired his views on the paper. Is in the best 30 players in Offaly and should be on the panel, especially looking at some of the subs. Some guys are not regular on their club teams.

Dunne: left the panel for personal reasons last February or March. Depending on who I have spoken to I hear a completely different story. Our best forward when on song. No word from Nigel.

over the last few years its very common that tyrone players have dropped themselves off panels only to be welcomed back the following year with a clean slate. Mickey harte has a lot of people cutting thr back off him, but that is egoless from him. maughan would never put offaly first , he can not loose face perhaps. either way its all very sad.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

I love the way they think they have a right to be on the panel, this is shit stirring. If Maughan asked him in and he refused to go at the time well then it’s his own fault. As someone said it’s embarrassing to releasing a statement more or less saying pick me I am a great lad. What good do they think putting a statement out will do, if he brings them back in it will be for the wrong reasons just because they released a statement, he is the manager he is in control of the team, if I remember rightly when Maughan took over he said he will asked everyone in and if they are not on board he will go with the players who will commit from the start and give all they can to the jersey.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

As a matter of interest, can anyone on here think of any player that didn’t make themselves available and/or was dropped off any of the successful Offaly teams of recent years.

1994 and 98 hurling
97 Leinster football
1998 league

I think possibly James Grennan was working away (possibly London) around 1997 but totally stand corrected on that (maybe someone from Ferbane can confirm). He wasn’t on the panel early in the year but I think he came on in all Ireland semi v Mayo.

It’s always easier to keep people involved with successful teams.

John Ryan was dropped by tommy Lyons for having 2 pints after training one night - must have been 1997 as he was full back in league final in 1998.
Doon exile....

Tmacmahon
All Star

Post by Tmacmahon »

James Stewart? Wasn't there in 97 but was in 98

Tmacmahon
All Star

Post by Tmacmahon »

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

around the 2000 All Ireland or so didnt Hubert Rigney remove himself (be it temporary) from county panel and club over some disciplinary issue I think around John Troy..

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Back to the football predictions for this weekend Round 3:
Derry v Tipperary, Celtic Park, 1pm - verdict Derry by 3
Longford v Leitrim, Glennon Bros Pearse Park, 2pm - verdict Longford by 4
Louth v Offaly, Gaelic Grounds, 2pm - verdict Louth (Louth need a win badly and we dont score enough - hope Ime wrong -pushed more could be a draw)
Cork v Down, Pairc Ui Chaoimh, 2pm - Verdict Cork by 3

Derry should account for Tipp who are travelling,
Longford should have too much at home for Leitrim (a draw maybe possible here too, hard to know with Leitrim?)
Louth are desperate for points, they are at home, Offaly just seem to struggle for scores, Louth win, knowing Offaly it could be a draw either.
Cork at home should have a bit too much for travelling Down, home advantage to swing a tight game for Cork, just about.