Meeting In Tullamore

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
private joker
All Star

Re: Meeting In Tullamore

Post by private joker »

Just on Birr, dressing rooms are too small. Having to do a 5 minute walk to the boys school to share a tiny school pitch to warm up on with the opposition is a joke.
Even during the first game last week the side line under the stand was very soft.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Just to clarify this group want what's right for Offaly GAA.

Some people here seem to be terrified that there main objective is to bring hurling back to Birr and noting else ?

Seems alot of you guys are very bitter towards hurling in Birr and that's what your trying to turn this into.

Now to the stupid ignorant comments.

The dressings rooms were just redeveloped during the summer and are not too small.

The field was in bits last saturday as would OCP be if it was played last Satuday did you see the rain that fell that day ?

The warm up area is a short walk from the pitch I do not see an issue with it.

Finally the attendance of Birr GAA is just under 10,000 I do not know where you are making up your figures from Bracknagh boy.

This topic is about that meeting in Tullamore not Birr V Tullamore.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Look it, there’s legitimate arguments on both sides. Could we not just alternate it year on year?
If you think that where a county final is played is up there on the list of problems........
Good Luck

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

The arguments about where games get played is one issue. Personally I'd like to see certain league games and Walsh Cup games in Birr (and possibly elsewhere in Offaly), but championship matches and county finals should be in the premier county ground.

The idea that leaving Birr in 2006 caused a downturn in Offaly's fortune is total bunkum. There is no supporting evidence, no stats, no correlation.
The underage production line and senior team started to falter a decade before that. Offaly's All Ireland win in 1998 was with a declining team and the Babs Keating fallout helped wring out the last of the juice.
Offaly's all time greatest humiliation, a 31 point defeat to Kilkenny in 2005, occurred when we were still supposedly benefiting from Birr voodoo.

The people who claim a correlation are often people who are in denial about how hurling has evolved on the field and off the field with preparations in the last two decades.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

This debate will go on forever and a day.

The way I see it. Being from Belmont it would suit me to travel to Birr to see a game. But would not stop me going to see it in Tullamore. If this is the reason for moving it back to Birr. Why? and in general why?

OCP is now the home of Ofally GAA, not Tullamore GAA. SBP is Birr GAA. Players facilities are better, pitch is better, warm up area, stand is better. I don't see why would go back to Birr. For what reason?

Be looking for the Tullamore Show to be in Birr next.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Hurling was destroyed when it went to OCP north offaly folk dont care about hurling.keep it in Birr for the better.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:54 pm The arguments about where games get played is one issue. Personally I'd like to see certain league games and Walsh Cup games in Birr (and possibly elsewhere in Offaly), but championship matches and county finals should be in the premier county ground.

The idea that leaving Birr in 2006 caused a downturn in Offaly's fortune is total bunkum. There is no supporting evidence, no stats, no correlation.
The underage production line and senior team started to falter a decade before that. Offaly's All Ireland win in 1998 was with a declining team and the Babs Keating fallout helped wring out the last of the juice.
Offaly's all time greatest humiliation, a 31 point defeat to Kilkenny in 2005, occurred when we were still supposedly benefiting from Birr voodoo.

The people who claim a correlation are often people who are in denial about how hurling has evolved on the field and off the field with preparations in the last two decades.
Offaly do not have the players at present to compete at the highest level, regardless of the venue. Some notion that playing games in Birr, a nice ground with a special atmosphere, will lead to an upturn is misguided.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

greenairfield wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:13 pm Hurling was destroyed when it went to OCP north offaly folk dont care about hurling.keep it in Birr for the better.
now that's an ignorant comment.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

It was in retaliation to most of the ignorant comments about SBP. :lol:

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

private joker wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:10 pm
greenairfield wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:13 pm Hurling was destroyed when it went to OCP north offaly folk dont care about hurling.keep it in Birr for the better.
Didn't take long for the bile to emerge.

Back to the 'high powered 'group. Have been speaking to people about this development. General consensus seems to be that our county board needs stability not wholesale changes with inexperienced people whose aims remains at best unclear. This sort of populism isn't working out well in the political world and could cause untold damage at a time when the county is starting to actually get things together. Lets look closer:

Senior Football
A decent manager is now in place. A right rattle at division 3 is on the cards in a few months. Panel is relatively settled. Cian Johnson and Cian Farrell are genuinely exciting talents for the future. U20's have been decent recently with settled management. All told things look well. Senior management are happy that everything they have requested is in place unlike previous years.

Senior Hurling
Exciting new management team in place. It almost feels like a new beginning for real again. Yes it's Christy Ring next year but it is what it is now and the only way is up. This is Fennellys big chance and he'll leave no stone unturned. The u20's were promising last year. Steady progress can be made now. Maybe when we do return to the Leinster Championship proper in a few years it'll really mean something.

Offaly TV
This was a good little service last year but this year it is now exceptional. Serious amount of games full length in high quality for 50 quid. Excellent development. Surprised more hasn't been said on here about it.

Facilities
One of the biggest issues was lack of training facility for our county teams. Faithful fields solved that and we now have a great facility for the future. Our county ground is the envy of many counties and we never have to worry about games not going ahead due to health and safety. The sponsorship of BNM (whether you agree or disagree with it) has brough in much needed funds.

Weekend passes
It took a while but this finally arrived. This has been great and saves cash over the weekend and in fact encourages attending plenty of games to get your moneys worth.

Coaching
We've gone from having the least qualified number of coaches in Leinster to one of the highest. A look at the CB twitter page shows the tireless work that is going on day and night across the county in both codes.

Look it's not perfect but things are starting to look up in terms of getting the right people and resources in place. We have the facilities now. I'd say no county board in Ireland has learned as much and made as many improvements in recent years than our own.
There plenty of reason to be optimistic about.

I don't like all this talk of such a place being the home of hurling and so on. We are all Offaly. The chap in Birr who wants to play football is as important as the senior footballer in Rhode. The football supporter in Lusmagh is as entitled to to go and support his team as much as the lad from Edenderry.

The hurling supporters in Daingean are as important as the hurling supporters from Coolderry. Nobody, no club and no area owns our games or should be claiming to be the home of this or that.

"United we stand, divided we fall".

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

bracknaghboy wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:52 pm
private joker wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:10 pm
Didn't take long for the bile to emerge.

Back to the 'high powered 'group. Have been speaking to people about this development. General consensus seems to be that our county board needs stability not wholesale changes with inexperienced people whose aims remains at best unclear. This sort of populism isn't working out well in the political world and could cause untold damage at a time when the county is starting to actually get things together. Lets look closer:

Senior Football
A decent manager is now in place. A right rattle at division 3 is on the cards in a few months. Panel is relatively settled. Cian Johnson and Cian Farrell are genuinely exciting talents for the future. U20's have been decent recently with settled management. All told things look well. Senior management are happy that everything they have requested is in place unlike previous years.

Senior Hurling
Exciting new management team in place. It almost feels like a new beginning for real again. Yes it's Christy Ring next year but it is what it is now and the only way is up. This is Fennellys big chance and he'll leave no stone unturned. The u20's were promising last year. Steady progress can be made now. Maybe when we do return to the Leinster Championship proper in a few years it'll really mean something.

Offaly TV
This was a good little service last year but this year it is now exceptional. Serious amount of games full length in high quality for 50 quid. Excellent development. Surprised more hasn't been said on here about it.

Facilities
One of the biggest issues was lack of training facility for our county teams. Faithful fields solved that and we now have a great facility for the future. Our county ground is the envy of many counties and we never have to worry about games not going ahead due to health and safety. The sponsorship of BNM (whether you agree or disagree with it) has brough in much needed funds.

Weekend passes
It took a while but this finally arrived. This has been great and saves cash over the weekend and in fact encourages attending plenty of games to get your moneys worth.

Coaching
We've gone from having the least qualified number of coaches in Leinster to one of the highest. A look at the CB twitter page shows the tireless work that is going on day and night across the county in both codes.

Look it's not perfect but things are starting to look up in terms of getting the right people and resources in place. We have the facilities now. I'd say no county board in Ireland has learned as much and made as many improvements in recent years than our own.
There plenty of reason to be optimistic about.

I don't like all this talk of such a place being the home of hurling and so on. We are all Offaly. The chap in Birr who wants to play football is as important as the senior footballer in Rhode. The football supporter in Lusmagh is as entitled to to go and support his team as much as the lad from Edenderry.

The hurling supporters in Daingean are as important as the hurling supporters from Coolderry. Nobody, no club and no area owns our games or should be claiming to be the home of this or that.

"United we stand, divided we fall".
THIS ☝️.
I’ll throw in my bit when I’ve sufficient time, but Bracknaghboy largely nails this. Well put. 👏💯
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Tommy put down your phone Duignan has it from here

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

greenairfield wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:44 pm Tommy put down your phone Duignan has it from here
Not Tommy I’m afraid. I’m not the same person as Bracknaghboy either. Duignan has nothing yet.
I see that Birr have 2 county finals. You must be somewhat happy?

Oh, and while you’re at it, list out all your grievances in a similar fashion to what Bracknaghboy has done. Then and only then will I take anything from you seriously.

Basically all you say on matters relating to the CB are bring hurling back to Birr, or something of that effect, or alternatively call for Tommy Byrne’s head on a platter essentially, given the disdain that you apparently have for him.
And if you don’t want to air your issue with him publicly, there’s a PM function on this.

Not once have you had any constructive piece of criticism for the CB, let alone anything positive to say.

“It’s better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.”
Good Luck

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Wow! Well said Bracknaghboy. A lot to be positive about and in fairness there has been a lot of very good work done recently by CB as listed by Bracknaghboy. Also you’d have to say fixtures have improved a lot in recent years.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Very good post Bracknagh. The one very positive for me in all of this is there has not been one word from any of the players, Galway are in turmoil, Clare players acting up. I never had much time for the county board but at this moment in time things seem to be heading in some sort of positive direction. I have no problem with a group putting forward their ideas or running for positions as long as it’s done correctly and does not upset teams or managers