Meeting In Tullamore

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
oneshot
County player

Re: Meeting In Tullamore

Post by oneshot »

private joker wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:44 pm Michael Duignan really wouldn't be a good move.
Moving games back to Birr would be such a backward step and keep the county in denial over what are the real issues. Its not 1994 anymore, just because lads won an all Ireland doesn't mean we should follow what they say. Little more to it than that.
why would moving huring back to birr be a backward step. i know its 2006 since the county finals were played there but over the years it has its part to play in the decline of offaly hurling. i think is a good idea that Duignan and Sid and seamus darby are getting on board to lift offaly gaa out of the state it is in over the last ten years or so. as you said the real issues how long are the county board talking about them over the last few years and nothing done .

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

greenairfield wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:04 pm Who said anything about hurling back to Birr there is bigger issues on the table.?
common knowledge that is on the agenda for the hurling die hards.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

oneshot wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:34 pm
private joker wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:44 pm Michael Duignan really wouldn't be a good move.
Moving games back to Birr would be such a backward step and keep the county in denial over what are the real issues. Its not 1994 anymore, just because lads won an all Ireland doesn't mean we should follow what they say. Little more to it than that.
why would moving huring back to birr be a backward step. i know its 2006 since the county finals were played there but over the years it has its part to play in the decline of offaly hurling. i think is a good idea that Duignan and Sid and seamus darby are getting on board to lift offaly gaa out of the state it is in over the last ten years or so. as you said the real issues how long are the county board talking about them over the last few years and nothing done .
I was there in birr when offaly struggled to beat KKu21 side and i was in birr when kerry came to town and won. The pitch location is a distraction from far more important issues.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

was in tullamore when we went down to division 2 B .was in tullamore when we went of of the leinster championship was in tullamore when we went out of the Joe mcdonagh cup be in tullamore watching Christy Ring cup hurling next year. was in tullamore watching are underage teams lose laois,DUblin, westmeath, carlow, . but on the other hand can rember been in birr from 1980s to 2006 watching some wonderful times and wins and county finals.look as you said its not the answer to all our problems but it would be a start if hurling could return there .

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

So we agree, the location of the pitch is irrelevant. 2006 is 13 years ago. I don't think it would be start to move but if it removes another excuse from the real issues then let it be done. Regardless, 2020 Offaly should win christy ring as it of a very low standard.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

greenairfield wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:33 pm Lone Shark it seems I was right about the committee they will contest positions...

Michael Duignan going for chairman which is great
Yep, I'm delighted to hear it. When I talked to Dervill Dolan he didn't give any indication that this group planned to run candidates, so I had to take that on faith, but now that it's been established that they plan to do so, I'm looking forward to talking to Michael and others about their plans and policies. Definitely it's great to see that the clubs of Offaly will have real choice as to who fills the key seats at the top table, and hopefully the candidates will be happy to put their views and beliefs on record so club members have something to talk about at their club committee meetings.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

This 'bring the hurling back to birr' idea is old news and a waste of energy. BNM O'Connor Park is the county ground, and the HQ for Offaly GAA.

Move on FFS.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

True Red wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:31 am This 'bring the hurling back to birr' idea is old news and a waste of energy. BNM O'Connor Park is the county ground, and the HQ for Offaly GAA.

Move on FFS.
Fully agree with this statement.

If that's the detail Michael Duignan and Brian Gavin we will be going backwards and we haven't got much room to do so.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

True Red wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:31 am This 'bring the hurling back to birr' idea is old news and a waste of energy. BNM O'Connor Park is the county ground, and the HQ for Offaly GAA.

Move on FFS.
Totally disagree with this post. It's high time the county final was brought back to Birr. And also 54% people in a poll currently being run by @OffalyTracker also disagree with you.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

What are the plans and timelines in terms of the redevelopment of the stand in Birr? It's currently not fit for purpose for a huge game like a county final that will attract 5,000 - 6,000 patrons. Also we are led to believe that a huge amount of "supporters" who haven't attended a county final since 2006 will flock through the gates meaning we could be looking at 7 or 8,000 trying to get into Birr which would be ridiculous.
Look we have an incredible stadium in OCP and our 2 Senior A county finals should always be showcased there. This 'return hurling to Birr' tripe is the backward, regressive, narrow minded "us v them" mentality that is one of the reasons Offaly hurling is in the gutter.
All we hear is the atmosphere isn't there in Tullamore and the like.....we'll theres nothing stopping you shouting for your team and creating an atmosphere there. The drawn Junior C football final was played there 3 weeks ago and there was around 150 people there and a great atmosphere was created as the small crowd got behind their teams.
This 'high powered group' need to be challenged on their plans to try and hijack hurling and take it out of the county ground and move it to a club ground. It's nothing short of scandalous. Who do they think they are?

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

The stand in Birr isn't fit for a county final? Ah come on. First it was the grassy banks and now that they have been replaced its the stand now?

If Pairc Tailteann can host county finals then Birr definitely can.

And also it was interesting to note all the people stand on a grassy bank at the Antrim county final 10 days ago on TG4. I often think we are the only county that ever adhered to H&S for our grounds. It was a handy excuse for many though.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

frankthetank wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:14 pm The stand in Birr isn't fit for a county final? Ah come on. First it was the grassy banks and now that they have been replaced its the stand now?

And also it was interesting to note all the people stand on a grassy bank at the Antrim county final 10 days ago on TG4. I often think we are the only county that ever adhered to H&S for our grounds. It was a handy excuse for many though.
It would be like someone having a fine big house with all the modern comforts you can imagine but deciding to live in the shed at the back of the garden instead. Pairc Tailteann is about to be bulldozed and replaced with a modern facility......also the stand there now can hold a sizeable crowd whereas the stand in SBP would barely be able to cater for a third of the crowd at a county final. So because Meath have a shite venue for their county finals we should leave our brilliant facility idle and use a much lesser ground instead. I genuinely don't understand your logic here Frank. Is this to show some sort of solidarity with Meath or what? OCP could hold everybody in the stand if the weather was shite for the final. Also did you not see the state of SBP pitch during the county semi final? Yes the conditions were bad but the pitch was in bits after it. Ah lads for feck sake it's hard to believe we still need to have these debates but since the 'high powered' group are pushing this agenda and are essentially hijacking hurling and dictate where it will be played I guess the debate needs to be had.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

bracknaghboy wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:01 pm What are the plans and timelines in terms of the redevelopment of the stand in Birr? It's currently not fit for purpose for a huge game like a county final that will attract 5,000 - 6,000 patrons. Also we are led to believe that a huge amount of "supporters" who haven't attended a county final since 2006 will flock through the gates meaning we could be looking at 7 or 8,000 trying to get into Birr which would be ridiculous.
Look we have an incredible stadium in OCP and our 2 Senior A county finals should always be showcased there. This 'return hurling to Birr' tripe is the backward, regressive, narrow minded "us v them" mentality that is one of the reasons Offaly hurling is in the gutter.
All we hear is the atmosphere isn't there in Tullamore and the like.....we'll theres nothing stopping you shouting for your team and creating an atmosphere there. The drawn Junior C football final was played there 3 weeks ago and there was around 150 people there and a great atmosphere was created as the small crowd got behind their teams.
This 'high powered group' need to be challenged on their plans to try and hijack hurling and take it out of the county ground and move it to a club ground. It's nothing short of scandalous. Who do they think they are?

i know agood few from the football stronghold who say football games in tullamore are a joke and are like a morgue. as for as you say offaly hurling in the gutter, its not doing offaly football any good either good few years in the gutter to.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

bracknaghboy wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:43 pm
frankthetank wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:14 pm The stand in Birr isn't fit for a county final? Ah come on. First it was the grassy banks and now that they have been replaced its the stand now?

It would be like someone having a fine big house with all the modern comforts you can imagine but deciding to live in the shed at the back of the garden instead. Pairc Tailteann is about to be bulldozed and replaced with a modern facility......also the stand there now can hold a sizeable crowd whereas the stand in SBP would barely be able to cater for a third of the crowd at a county final. So because Meath have a shite venue for their county finals we should leave our brilliant facility idle and use a much lesser ground instead. I genuinely don't understand your logic here Frank. Is this to show some sort of solidarity with Meath or what? OCP could hold everybody in the stand if the weather was shite for the final. Also did you not see the state of SBP pitch during the county semi final? Yes the conditions were bad but the pitch was in bits after it. Ah lads for feck sake it's hard to believe we still need to have these debates but since the 'high powered' group are pushing this agenda and are essentially hijacking hurling and dictate where it will be played I guess the debate needs to be had.

birrs ground is well able to hold the county final alot of work has been done on the terrace and behind the goals. as for crowds were you in at any county finals in the late 80s or 90s to see the crowds that came from around to see them. when was the last time you were in birr .

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

oneshot wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:18 pm when was the last time you were in birr .
5th of October 2019. Next question?