Next Offaly Senior Hurling Manager

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Next Offaly Senior Hurling Manager

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

It was a shocking incident, and the club had the opportunity to make a statement that thuggery would not be tolerated. Instead, the club opted not to back the existing management. Quickly appointing Liam Hogan, the club announced via twitter they were "pleased to announce" the new appointment.

By their actions shall they be known.
greenairfield wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:03 pm Disgrace what happened in Coolderry the player should be banned for life
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:48 am It was a shocking incident, and the club had the opportunity to make a statement that thuggery would not be tolerated. Instead, the club opted not to back the existing management. Quickly appointing Liam Hogan, the club announced via twitter they were "pleased to announce" the new appointment.

By their actions shall they be known.
greenairfield wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:03 pm Disgrace what happened in Coolderry the player should be banned for life
Would somebody mind giving a brief, non-defamatory overview of what is going on please? I have read a couple of the comments here and a comment or 2 on twitter, but each one is more cryptic than the last, which only leads to speculation and the rumour. From what I can rather, something happened in Coolderry and now there is a new manager in Coolderry. May seem a silly question, but who was the incumbent?

Also, this is genuine request for information.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

theres a lot being said here about this incident, and all sorts of speculation can be inferred, without naming any individuals can someone give an over view of what went on..if its that sensitive that it cant be (mentioned here) I don't think anyone should then be on here or other media forms discussing it, its not fair on either parties involved, as it is, its a very one-sided story, and maybe it is, but as its been discussed here is unbalanced..just in fairness to fair debate and all that...

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Coolderry played a challenge match v upperchurch a coolderry player struck Joachim. This led to the management resigning.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

good man, thanks for that..jaysus if that happened its rough..no need for it...Coolderry not going well at all..seen them against Rynaghs, they just never really done enough to deserve to win that game, particulary in 2nd half..Rynaghs were themselves, hurling well in parts, not convincing but just good enough to win the game out...interesting to see the "discussion here" about the Coolderry incident, there was a disgraceful mass brawl at the Belmont/KK game last week in Banagher (I was at the game), 30 plus players in it, only Cillian Kiely got a red card, NOT ONE OTHER player from either side got even a yellow at the end of the brawl which lasted Ide say 3 minutes or more (it just wasn't a few seconds!) one Belmont player I seen ran into it after maybe a minute swinging punches left and right and I thought he was certainly a gonner but amazingly no....give out about Cillian Kiely all we like (if one does) but he can feel very very aggrieved over his red card...amazingly no one came on this form discussing the matter all last week..we seem to be "topic picky" by times...

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Fairplayalways wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:06 pm good man, thanks for that..jaysus if that happened its rough..no need for it...Coolderry not going well at all..seen them against Rynaghs, they just never really done enough to deserve to win that game, particulary in 2nd half..Rynaghs were themselves, hurling well in parts, not convincing but just good enough to win the game out...interesting to see the "discussion here" about the Coolderry incident, there was a disgraceful mass brawl at the Belmont/KK game last week in Banagher (I was at the game), 30 plus players in it, only Cillian Kiely got a red card, NOT ONE OTHER player from either side got even a yellow at the end of the brawl which lasted Ide say 3 minutes or more (it just wasn't a few seconds!) one Belmont player I seen ran into it after maybe a minute swinging punches left and right and I thought he was certainly a gonner but amazingly no....give out about Cillian Kiely all we like (if one does) but he can feel very very aggrieved over his red card...amazingly no one came on this form discussing the matter all last week..we seem to be "topic picky" by times...
Just on that. I’ve heard from people from both sides of the Belmont KK brawl. The common consensus was that Kiely shouldn’t have got the line. Apparently, a county player from Belmont can consider himself lucky for a wild pull. That’s coming from both sides.
Good Luck

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

a Belmont player kicked int on Conor Mahon on the ground, in the lead up to the first of the 3 throwins that preceeded the mass brawl...Mahon was putting himself about all evening, but you don't put the boot or foot in on any player on the ground, that's what lead to the throw ins, Mahon got up and retaliated somewhat, hence the throw in and after each throw in timber flew in the air, resulting in another throw in, eventually throwing it in on the sideline infront of both benches was stupid in my view, once it kicked off then, subs and all were nearby to get dragged in...Belmont and KK had some very young players on the field and as a parent, I wouldn't want my or anyones child subjected to the carry on in that brawl..the midland tribune report during the week had it spot on...Kiely, if guilty at all, certainly wasn't the only one, ide say 4/5 could have been put off...

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

greenairfield wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:40 am Coolderry played a challenge match v upperchurch a coolderry player struck Joachim. This led to the management resigning.
Thank you for clarifying the situation. I'll reserve comment apart from saying that I hope J Kelly is alright.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Allegedly the punch knocked Joachim out.
Last edited by frankthetank on Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Allegedly is a great word......would always advise using it, even if seen with my own two eyes! :D
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Any hint of news in getting a new manager.? I'd say it's going to be very difficult.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

The Galway management team have stepped down…
Good Luck

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

I doubt we will be fishing in the same pond
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

joe bloggs wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:56 am I doubt we will be fishing in the same pond
I wasn’t referring to the main man, and even at that, yes it’s a stretch. You never know!
Good Luck

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Francis forde is the now obvious choice. Problem with that is he takes no crap, which there will be plenty. Because he takes no crap he'd probaly walk during his tenure. Going from a set up like Galway to the other end of the spectrum is not going to be a wise choice for a smart man. Wonder will forde take over Galway himself?