Next Offaly Senior Hurling Manager

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Keyser Soze
Intermediate
Club: S Club 7

Re: Next Offaly Senior Hurling Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Cheddar Plunkett?
NIall Rigney?
John Leahy (KK)?
Ollie Canning?
Conor Gleeson?
Raymie Ryan?
Liam Hodgins?

Other than Leahy, I can't think of many internal candidates. Perhaps a return for Pat Fleury.
Presume Joe McKenna isn't interested!

Someone ambitious, intelligent and in a geographical position to do the job properly!
Avoid the journey men at all costs!

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Leahy? No thanks.
I’m sure Sam from Kinnitty (or was it Kinnity or Kinitty) would only love for Danny Owens to get it.

I’d say Fleury is happy in his role with T na G.
Good Luck

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Would like to see a bit of a mix in terms of modern hurling knowledge, local hurling knowledge, coaching experience and some sport science / coaching knowledge.

Of all those listed there are a few I would certainly steer away from. Conor Gleeson was a coach under Eamonn Kelly in both Laois and Offaly and I wouldndt be entirely convinced. Not so sure or up to date on calibre or otherwise of others mentioned....

I would love to see a team involving likes of Francis Forde, Ken Hogan, maybe Martin Hanamy, Brendan Murphy / Rory Hannify or someone of that ilk and backed up with young progressive thinking coach. John Leahy could add something but he'll have bigger eye on what might be coming down tracks in politics. Shane Hand could be link into u20s while likes of Eunan Martin could also offer something in that dept. I'd be more concerned about the bases the team might cover as a group rather than the actual qualifications / experience of the head man. There are some good people out there but if they don't try sorting it soon, progressive clubs will have people pinned down for next year.........
jimbob

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

It’s a wonderful opportunity to build a team and for a manager to lay foundations playing in the 3rd tier. No real pressure, we are at a low ebb at the minute. Great chance to lay out a plan and make targets for the next 5 years. On reflection it’s not nice to drop the way we have but in reality we might be better off trying to develop something rather than hanging on avoiding what was going to happen at some stage! We probably need an established man at the wheel, we have tried relatively inexperienced managers before and it didn’t work out.

Alloutbarthegoalie
Junior B
Club: Edenderry

Post by Alloutbarthegoalie »

Give Joe Dooley the job.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

its a bit like ex politicians now being chairman of this and that, or being a barrister representing the state in a prosecution, it shouldn't be allowed that existing referees and players commentate on both club and county matches...for example, if you criticize another referee during a game you are commentating on for not giving a card, sending off etc. and then in a few weeks you are reffing a game involving that same team/player and something happens, if you are unsure of what happened, are you not going to be influenced by your views weeks earlier in another game, of course you would be...likewise existing players commentating saying things like "player X is after striking player Y, if its seen hes in bother"...is the commentating player then not going to go out with a prejudiced view of the player in both their teams meet...of course he will..knowing Ireland its probably who you are to get these gigs commentating, Ime sure R3 are getting into OCP for free...I am sure there are plenty of ex county hurlers who would be willing to take on the R3 gig...current referees and current players shouldn't be at this at all I always believed...Regarding Gary Cahill, ah I don't know, too much connected to the existing set up...will all players come on board with an inside manager?...I doubt it..give out about Kevin Ryan, but he was never accepted by the fans, and worse still he knew it, the only thing about an outside man is he should come with no baggage, and no one should have any gripes, if lads opt out then they are only doing so because they don't want to commit, go inside for a manager and lads who wont commit will blame the manager for this and that..so I personally think outside, and a decent big name is the way to go...and of course in the meantime address all our other issues locally too..but if we could get back to Leinster hurling and remain there and be competitive, young lads will want to hurl again..

GAHMAD
County player
Club: Over 50's club

Post by GAHMAD »

I agree, Ex player looking to keep his profile up with newstalk and situation v Wicklow last year was shameful with our ref commentator contributions.

Keyser Soze
Intermediate

Post by Keyser Soze »

GAHMAD wrote:I agree, Ex player looking to keep his profile up with newstalk and situation v Wicklow last year was shameful with our ref commentator contributions.
What did Gavin do?!

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Joe Quaid is now out of a job so should he be got at all costs or should someone else be in line for it?

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Could you please tell me why would he be got at all costs ?????

Keyser Soze
Intermediate

Post by Keyser Soze »

Killeighman wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:48 am Joe Quaid is now out of a job so should he be got at all costs or should someone else be in line for it?
I think "at all costs" might be the relevant terms here!!!! Joe don't come cheap!

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

He’s becoming a journey man going around the midlands, he wouldn’t be my choice at all. Do we build a fresh team with a fresh faced manager or do we go down the road of splashing the cash on a Davy type manager. We have tried managers with little or no experience before so I’m inclined to go with splashing the cash, but there’s not to many available and playing in the Christy Ring isn’t to appealing either!!

Keyser Soze
Intermediate

Post by Keyser Soze »

Didn't Quaid wait to be told he hadn't got the Laois job before taking the Westmeath job?
Himself, Eamon Kelly, Kevin Ryan etc seem to be much of a muchness.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I think we could do a lot worse than Joe Quaid, a journey man?..Ime not totally up to speed with all his various jobs but my main memory of him in management is his latest job with Westmeath prior to that Kildare and Limerick camogie some time back, that's hardly a journey man managerial wise, Offaly would be expecting (not necessarily the case I must point out) to have more talent at their disposal than Kildare and Westmeath so if Joe Quaid can lift Westmeath to a decent height with their resources, is he not worth a punt with a county which would expect to have a bit more raw talent available. From memory, I think they (Kildare) gave Offaly an almight run for their money in Walsh cup game or other a few years back..so I wouldn't be dismissing him. I can see the argument for going a different route I suppose, give out about the cost of having a name like Davy Fitzgerald, the fact of the matter is Wexford are Leinster champions and in an All Ireland semi final (which they have a more than realistic chance of winning) their supporters are out in huge numbers at games, pitches are peppered with purple and gold jerseys at half time with youngsters pucking about...that cannot be a bad thing at all...I would be going after Joe Quaid before some of the names on the original posters list further up this topic..

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

At face value it would seem confusing that Quaid was let go. There must be a story there.

He did pretty well with Kildare, Westmeath seemed to be a decent next step.

Decent enough year there and gone in a flash with little explanation(?).
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.