Next Offaly Senior Hurling Manager

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
LooseCannon
All Star

Next Offaly Senior Hurling Manager

Post by LooseCannon »

Just said I’d open the floor so to speak. Two names spring to my mind, one insider, one outsider. I shall throw them out after a few posts. The insider is fairly obvious, while the outsider would be quite obscure to many, perhaps.
Good Luck

private joker
All Star

Re: Next Offaly Senior Hurling Manager

Post by private joker »

Francis forde.
Shane hand.

white grass
Junior B

Post by white grass »

Jamie Wall is not obscure

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

white grass wrote:Jamie Wall is not obscure
He hadn’t entered my mind. Not the obscure one!
Good Luck

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

gotta be babs

Pat Mustard
Junior A

Post by Pat Mustard »

What needs to happen now is stop paying managers stop throwing good money after bad plenty of great hurling people I'm sure willing to take it on and the money normally paid to manage our Senior hurling team invest it into coaches and promoting the game among children and helping out clubs

GAHMAD
County player
Club: Over 50's club

Post by GAHMAD »

So Pat, you want a manager to take on the role in Offaly at an all time low and expect nothing in return?

We will struggle to attract a high profile manager anyway given where we are. But whoever gets the job and there should be a trawl now to find someone that fits the bill of working over a 3 year period to turn around how our county team goes about its business, should be rewarded for their efforts in an appropriate manner.

In the meantime, it is incumbent on all the key stakeholders to sit down once and for all and look at the development plan for Offaly hurling and start asking the hard questions.
1) Does such a plan exist?
2) If it does, how is it being rolled out
3) What are the measures of success and lets be honest here, losing to Kildare in the minor and Derry in the Celtic Challenge are pretty poor results.
4)If one does not exist, dust down the F..king plan that was drawn up and look at a group of people who can oversee the delivery.

All the talk in the world won't help us unless there is a plan, and I would ask that whatever happens with Tommy Byrnes position in the coming months, this is an area that he should endeavor to kick start as soon as possible.

Finally I go back to the point that I have made here continuously, unless ye get involved, actively , and there is always something you can do for your club, (an hour a month would make a difference, even pay up bloody membership), then opinions here are not worth a ball of goat shite!
Go and ask a about your club facilitating a discussion on the state of hurling in the county and the club and what can be done locally and that to ensure the delegates are mandated to vote in agreed manner in relation to future decisions.
Some of above might sound like pie in the sky, but as the saying goes," if you always do what you've always done"...well ..I'll let ye fill in the blanks yerselves!

Wingforward
Junior B

Post by Wingforward »

What about Gary Cahill? Wasn't he originally tipped to take over from Kevin Martin on an interim basis according to RTE's sources!! Also, if the u20's do go well next week its highly highly likely in my eyes.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

While not dismissing his credentials, from talking with members of this via PM, the feeling is that we would be better served if Gary was in his current role for another 2 years at least.
Good Luck

GAHMAD
County player
Club: Over 50's club

Post by GAHMAD »

We need a bit of quality and continuity at underage, and I include U20. Declan Kelly for example has done great work with the 20s and another year there might set him up nicely to be ready for a crack at the Seniors after John Maughan.

Similarly if Gary gets a bit of momentum with bringing through guys ready to step up to Senior in 2021/22, and builds a reputation for himself, then it might lead to a higher chance of success? I don't know much about Gary as a coach but I think lads need to be careful about jumping into the Senior role too soon.

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Gary Cahill has already been part of recent senior mgt set ups, has been with Gracefiel juniors to so big buds with our chairman, but has already done a stint with Kevin Ryan and his predesessor.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Gary Cahill has done noting as a manager so putting him in as a senior manage would be a move to madness.

We need someone who is going to get the best talent in the county to come in with us and someone who has the experience of training a county team.

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

greenairfield wrote:Gary Cahill has done noting as a manager so putting him in as a senior manage would be a move to madness.

We need someone who is going to get the best talent in the county to come in with us and someone who has the experience of training a county team.
My point exactly, apparently he was Kevin Ryans right hand man which says it all really.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Guessing it won’t be Brian Carroll anyway going by his interview with RTE

He rightly calls out the ridiculous badly timed comments by a certain attention seeking ex player.
Empty vessel.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

allstar2010 wrote:Guessing it won’t be Brian Carroll anyway going by his interview with RTE

He rightly calls out the ridiculous badly timed comments by a certain attention seeking ex player.
Empty vessel.
It's clear that said attention seeking ex player had intended to destabilise the situation and he clearly succeeded. Shame on Radio 3 for giving him a platform after the match and not properly call him out on his outrageous carry on the day before the game. Although that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone with their head screwed on. It's strikingly similar to the issue last year after the Wicklow game when an attention seeking ex referee ran to the national media to try and paint a bad situation even worse than it was...again he was never called out on it either. Does anyone else think that as a county we are our own worst enemy these days?