Offaly U20s Football

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
LooseCannon
All Star

Offaly U20s Football

Post by LooseCannon »

There’s the fixtures.
Good Luck

GAHMAD
County player
Club: Over 50's club

Re: Offaly U20s Football

Post by GAHMAD »

Anyone care to venture how this might progress?

I hear they are going well and pretty good squad.

League for this starting in a couple of weeks which consists of 3 games and a week after it finishes they play Carlow in the first round of championship! Bit mad to think you could prepare a team in 3 weeks, GAA yet again burying their heads in the sand.

Hugely important that 4 or 5 players of calibre emerge to bolster the Senior squad.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Any news on the panel?

Tullman
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Tullman »

Drew with Cork last weekend 3-12 to 1-18

feirmeoir
Intermediate

Post by feirmeoir »

any word on the team / panel

GAHMAD
County player

Post by GAHMAD »

Very good display of football last night. Very balanced and plenty of quality up front.

Limerick were very limited though but good to put up a decent score and move on to next match.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

GAHMAD wrote:Very good display of football last night. Very balanced and plenty of quality up front.

Limerick were very limited though but good to put up a decent score and move on to next match.
That's good news. What was the score?

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

The decision to have players like Cian Farrell and Cian Johnson stick with the unders 20's will pay off long term. This is ideal for them in my opinion. We've seen some hurlers rushed through the system to play senior intercounty and one wonders if the best has been got from them as a result?

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Would either player make the senior team

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

greenairfield wrote:Would either player make the senior team
Fair question. Honest answer is it's open to opinion. I'd fear a situation would develop whereby they'd end up starting games here and there and then been taken off early making little impact. Don't underestimate the pressure young players put themselves under to perform and a few poor showings could rattle their confidence.
I believe both Farrell and Johnson will be regular starters for Offaly seniors in 2 years time. Offaly footballs medium term future is in decent shape I reckon.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

I agree with the posters above that long term it will be a good thing that these two are playing Under 20's only right now.....they are been allowed develop at their own age group.

but cripes almighty I'm still thinking back to that meath game in Navan......run the two of them in with 10 mins to go.......
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

GAHMAD
County player

Post by GAHMAD »

Good win again yesterday against Wicklow, 2-13 to 0-07 I think was the final score.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Tullman
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Tullman »

Was at the game. Offaly played really poorly in the first half but picked it up in the second says a lot that they didn’t play anywhere near their potential and still won by 12 points down in aughrim Farrell and Johnson 0-3 from play each linked up nicely together , Cathal Donoghue has a serious engine in midfield. Ciaran Donnelly was good at wing back. Wicklow played a full time sweeper in front of Johnson from start to finish which left room for other offaly players. 2/2 positive start for offaly albeit against average opposition you’d imagine Clare and Westmeath will provide tougher tests but Offaly can certainly win the Liam O,Connor cup