Leinster Under 20 Hurling Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
LooseCannon
All Star

Offaly U20s Hurling

Post by LooseCannon »

There’s the fixtures.
Good Luck

chimbonda
County player

Leinster Under 20 Hurling Championship

Post by chimbonda »

Any word on this years team? Who are the key players?
Any challenge matches recently.
Disappointing that championship is starting Monday and there has been little or no preview / discussion that I aware of.

Killeighman
All Star

Re: Leinster Under 20 Hurling Championship

Post by Killeighman »

This 20s team is supposed to be decent enough and as good a 20/21 side Offaly have had for the past number of years. Last years minor team provides a lot of players. Conor Langton and David Nally are to come in from the seniors. Duignan and Ravenhill from Ballinamere are two good lads. Oisin Murphy from Birr is on the panel. Young Cillian Sampson from Shinrone and Cathal Kiely will be part of the forward line I can imagine. Joey Keenaghan will feature. The panel was printed in this weeks Tullamore Tribune.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

What are the details of this game? Venue etc..

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Hurling Westmeath in Mullingar at 7pm on this Monday, 27th. Winners play the winners of Carlow v Antrim (who play on Saturday at Abbotstown). Winners of that advance to a quarter-final meeting with Dublin.
private joker wrote:What are the details of this game? Venue etc..
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Saw the team that was announced. Best of luck to the players and mgt. Tough one vs westmeath who will be smarting from the senior defeat and be on high alert. Looking at the club represented, you really have to ask questions about where the hurling is. One south Offaly club? All the rest north. The "football country!!" have the whole team practically. Where are the lads from birr , coolderry etc? Not that it matters but when you have lads arguing about birr vs tullamore look at this team. Where are these young lads spiritual home? It aint birr!!.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I wish that team all the luck in the world against westmeath...but to be honest I'm worried about where we are at hurling wise.

There is very few south hurlers on the team and people have to start asking the question what has happened?

For me taking hurling out if birr has had a knock on affect whether some lads like it or not.

Worrying times

Sharpshooter10
Junior C

Post by Sharpshooter10 »

greenairfield wrote:I wish that team all the luck in the world against westmeath...but to be honest I'm worried about where we are at hurling wise.

There is very few south hurlers on the team and people have to start asking the question what has happened?

For me taking hurling out if birr has had a knock on affect whether some lads like it or not.

Worrying times
I have to disagree with this statement , the clubs in north Offaly have been putting in far more effort than those in the south. For example Na Fianna and Ballinamere have won a minor title recently so it is understandable that they have 6 starters on the team between the two clubs and a few more lads that could make an impact off the bench. I think football has a big impact on this as the north lads have higher fitness levels.
As for the statement about playing in Birr, it doesn’t matter where Offaly play they are not at the standard that is acceptable in this county! We could play in Birr , Tullamore or Pullagh the result would be the same.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Lads complaining about very few from the south on the team should really take a step back and ask themselves what the hell are the traditional hurling clubs doing so. Maybe its time they got the finger out and put in a real effort in developing the players.

It is worrying that the likes of birr, coolderry, clareen etc are producing very little on this evidence. We would all like to see more players coming through from these clubs.

And lets be fair to clubs in the north, a lot of them dual senior clubs trying to balance playing senior football and hurling championship week on week over the years. Not an easy task and in reality a big disadvantage when meeting a hurling only club. But they have competed well. And that may be the question. Why have they competed well against lads training fully for hurling only.

And please will the idiots on here who keep bringing up the birr v OCP debate, please give it a rest. That has absolutely nothing to do with the state of performances our county teams are putting in.

Just get behind the U20's and support them. And then look at what can be done in your clubs to get things up to scratch.

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

I see Shinrone are one of the only clubs in south offaly with more than one on the team with 4 in total on the panel even though they have been relatively poor at underage over the last few years.
I thought Birr would have more as they were strong at minor / under 21 over the last few years.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Birr would have one on the team in Oisin Murphy who i believe was dropped from the panel as he didnt comit.. and Rory Carthy would have alot to offer but he concentrated on his leaving cert.

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Best of luck to all this eve, I expect a good win based on potential of this crew, with serious strength in depth, and westmeath being annihilated by all comers two years ago at Minor U18 level. These lads are a good bet for a run in Leinster especially with Galway and Kilkenny on the other side.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

greenairfield wrote:I wish that team all the luck in the world against westmeath...but to be honest I'm worried about where we are at hurling wise.

Worrying times
Maybe if Birr and others stopped worrying about having matches played in Birr and concentrated maybe on developing their underage we might be in a better place.

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

Worrying times
Please just play hurling....please just play hurling.....please just play hurling.

Birr is one of the most fabled clubs in Ireland. Offaly needs a strong Birr club at all levels from U14 up through the ranks to minor and U21 right through to Senior. We need St Brendans CS firing in the Leinster schools. The side shows across the county need to addressed from the Liam Hogan report, that is agreed....but please just concentrate on playing and developing hurling at every grade in the Birr club. The other country clubs that surround Birr and throughout Offaly will have good and bad teams at various grades but numbers are much tighter and it comes in waves as most of these clubs only have a small national school.... but with population and a history that all clubs envy, Birr should be competing for county titles at every level. They used to backbone every team at every grade when I was in school and that seems to have stopped.

I actually think with many more football traditional clubs supplying a huge amount of players to underage squads is great....if we can strike a balance and get the traditional strongholds to supply underage talent in the manor we were used to in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s it might not take as long to adjust our trajectory as many believe.

Please please please just play hurling. I'm tired of SBP/OCP discussions for the moment. Again.....just concentrate on hurling.

Best of luck to the lads tonight. They seem to have started well so far. Hopefully it'll give hurling throughout the county a much needed shot in the arm

#Esto Fidelis
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Big win tonight. Well done to all.