Minors 2019

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Re: Minors 2019

Post by greenairfield »

I think you right it was the same last year when players were playing from shannonbridge..
As far as I'm aware the crinkle hurler doesn't hurl for CRC

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Doesn't hurl for CRC? Then how can he be picked on an Offaly minor team?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

frankthetank wrote:Doesn't hurl for CRC? Then how can he be picked on an Offaly minor team?
Don’t tell me that it’s another case of don’t play for a year and change address, thus allowing a transfer to Birr, is it?
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Not sure to be honest..but sure if he wants to hurl for who ever he wants to hurl for let him off

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Lost by a goal hard luck lads

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

greenairfield wrote:Not sure to be honest..but sure if he wants to hurl for who ever he wants to hurl for let him off
The transferring has to stop. I’m not targeting Birr here, but it does. There is potential if Crinkill are let have the players in their area.

I notice that Crinkill have more success at underage with CRC than what Birr have. A very simple idea should be implemented. If you want to hurl for Birr at adult level, hurl underage with them. If you hurl with CRC then you hurl with Carrig and Riverstown or you hurl with Crinkill. It’s fairly simple. It’s for the greater good.

Perhaps hurling would be brought back to Birr if Crinkill were allowed to blossom, with the aim of climbing up the ladder to intermediate, senior b, and see how far they can go. Mar a dúirt mé cheana, it’s for the greater good.
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

How would you be targeting Birr anyway?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

I don’t know. I didn’t want the wonderful people of Birr to think so in my previous post.
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

When you noticed CRC been more successful than Birr on what grounds do you say that..? One county final they contested v each other is it ?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

greenairfield wrote:When you noticed CRC been more successful than Birr on what grounds do you say that..? One county final they contested v each other is it ?
CRC Gaels won the u15 A title last year, beating Birr.
Birr did look to be stronger at u17 level.

Perhaps they’re not necessarily stronger at all levels, but they certainly are at some. I’ll concede on not knowing the full facts. My apologies but I do believe that they were at Féile last year.
The point is simple. If you want to hurl at adult level with Birr, play underage with Birr. If you want to hurl with CRC, then hurl for Crinkill or C&R. It’s for the greater good. CRC should not be used as a vessel to develop players for Birr.

On a separate point, are Birr doing anything at underage for football? There’s potential for underage players from all over south Offaly to play with Birr. I know that some play underage football with St Rynagh’s, but are then expected to play adult level with Birr. In the bigger picture, it’s beneficial to neither club. I’m not trying to deliberately have a go at Birr, but there’s potential there if it’s tapped into.

There appears to be a lack of ash trees at the other end of the county! Gracefield to their credit are and have continued to field teams. I note that Anton Sullivan sought permission to play with them. Meanwhile in Edenderry, unfortunately there’s no adult hurling. They must be praised however for their work at u7, 9, 11 all the same. Hopefully it continues and the fruits of the club’s labour will ripen in the years to come.
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

They were at the feile last year but they won the b or c in Offaly they were far from the top guns in Offaly at that age group.
K/K represented us at the competition.

I believe there should be parish rule in Birr it's not the case but that's a story for another day.

Birr are fielding a football team in the U13 championship and they have played some games I think there is also an U13 team.

This would be the first year in a few we have entered football at underage level.

No doubt clubs this end should try come in and play with Birr it would be great to have a team competing at underage in Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

I vehemently disagree with the parish rule, particularly for a relatively big town like Birr.

On the football, that’s fantastic. Hopefully they stick with it. The more young players playing football and hurling, the better.

A long term ideal situation would be where Birr could have their own team, perhaps with Crinkill and C&R, with the rest of south Offaly forming South Offaly Gaels or something of the like. Drumcullen, Seir Kieran, Coolderry, B/K, Shinrone. Wishful thinking at the moment, but a little bit of optimism isn’t a bad thing.
Great news.

I believe that the Celtic Challenge team are playing as I type this.
Good Luck

GAHMAD
County player
Club: Over 50's club

Post by GAHMAD »

And not one report on the match, the team or how they played?
Jaysus!

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

GAHMAD wrote:And not one report on the match, the team or how they played?
Jaysus!
Feel free to post your report anytime you wish.

GAHMAD
County player
Club: Over 50's club

Post by GAHMAD »

I used to log on here when a topic on the minor hurlers might consist of someone talking about the match that they attended. But instead I see the thing descends into Crinkle v Birr, why are adult clubs named? and why isn't there a South Offaly football team.

IlKJ, I wasn't at the match but thought someone might have been? Clearly not!