Joe McDonagh cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Foxybaby
Junior C
Club: Tullamore

Re: Joe McDonagh cup

Post by Foxybaby »

Damien fox didn’t leave of his own accord the chairman rang him up without the knowledge of the manager and basically sacked him..any arse lickers anything to say about this

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Foxybaby wrote:Damien fox didn’t leave of his own accord the chairman rang him up without the knowledge of the manager and basically sacked him..any arse lickers anything to say about this
Yeah, that call to him was made about 12 months too late!

Foxybaby
Junior C

Post by Foxybaby »

So your backing the chairman on the way he conducted this.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

https://hoganstand.com/Offaly/Article/Index/297358

Who agreed a contract for a coaches services to end at the end of the league? A clueless agreement regardless of whether he walked himself or was pushed out when the contract elapsed.

As subtly pointed out earlier, Loughnan and the country see Offaly hurling as a laughing stock. Team management always gets held accountable to this but has the board ever been held accountable for how they have performed their duties?

Foxybaby
Junior C

Post by Foxybaby »

To me the people at the top of our county are not doing there job for the love of Offaly it’s for the love of an expense account and freebies..absolutely shameful carry on by this and previous county boards I’ve actually heard of players getting death collector letters from our lads not paying there bill shocking

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Foxybaby wrote:So your backing the chairman on the way he conducted this.
To be fair, this is a GAA discussion board - it would be beyond foolish for anyone to take as gospel anything that's written here. There are a handful of people who genuinely know what went on between the county board (presumably Tommy Byrne) and Damien. If any of those people want to go on record, they should, but if not, then we're very much in the realms of speculation. It may have happened exactly as you say, but you will appreciate that people are, and should be, skeptical - particularly of new posters who come on board for one topic.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Staying on the topic of the Joe McDonagh Cup. We are a month out from the start of it and still no confirmed dates for the games. I am expecting mostly Saturday games but it is still nice to know for definite.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Kerry GAA website has us down for a Saturday June 15th fixture in Tralee in our final game. No confirmed time.

Hopefully we’ll still be in the shake up at that stage.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Too true. For what it's worth, last year's JMcD fixtures were released on 13th April, the equivalent of which is this Friday.
Killeighman wrote:Staying on the topic of the Joe McDonagh Cup. We are a month out from the start of it and still no confirmed dates for the games. I am expecting mostly Saturday games but it is still nice to know for definite.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

http://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/297 ... y=National

Interesting to see Offaly are now perceived as being lowly ranked at 14. Below Laois, Westmeath and Kerry. Its probably hard argue with that to be fair. As sad as it is to say, but Laois and Westmeath are strong favourites for the upcoming games against Offaly.

No point really discussing how we got here, but agree its a hole Offaly need to find a way out of. I wouldn't agree with the other new contributor who's comments on the board are not in good taste but I would say they have to take responsibility for the poor performance of Offaly teams for a decade and a half or so.

I don't worry about Offaly not winning titles, but what drives me flippin mad is that we have been uncompetitive.

A big issue and I have said it before is the club game in Offaly. The standard of championship games is so far off the intensity of intercounty. I can understand why players find the transition so hard because it is a huge jump. Most games in the Offaly club championship are played at a pedestrian pace with very little aggression. Like a lot of contributors here, Ive experienced senior hurling games in the county when our county teams were a decent bit better than currently and even then, the club championship games were not something Id need a few days to recover from.

The argument might be that Coolderry and KK have been successful in Leinster and beyond but my point would be that they also played a lot of one sided games that were a bad thing for players then going into the heat of battle at intercounty intensity.

I dunno, maybe I am completely wrong. But that's just my 2 cents for what its worth. Fed up with it all really.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

There is talk that Ross King is back on the Laois panel. Offaly will have to hit the ground running in this one. They have picked up a few injuries from the club championship too so hopefully they return in time.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Killeighman wrote:There is talk that Ross King is back on the Laois panel. Offaly will have to hit the ground running in this one. They have picked up a few injuries from the club championship too so hopefully they return in time.
Ross King has far greater strength of character than I have if that's the case. It's one thing to get involved in incidents on the field of play when the blood is up in the heat of battle, but to go into a county panel alongside players who sent around social media messages mocking the fact that you were left hospitalised, out of work, badly hurt and out of pocket to the tune of thousands is another matter entirely. I'd struggle to look lads in the eye after something like that, never mind go into a team environment with them.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

I'd struggle to look lads in the eye after something like that, never mind go into a team environment with them.
Ross King should look them straight in the eye and don't blink until they do. He did nothing wrong. He is the victim and he should be very proud of the fact that he took his stance and highlighted the injury and insult that he received.

If he felt that he was now ready to go back in, then I am delighted that he took that decision and he should be applauded and supported for doing so. Don't let the bullies win Ross. Enjoy your hurling!

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

llkj wrote:
I'd struggle to look lads in the eye after something like that, never mind go into a team environment with them.
Don't kniw why anyone would think Ross Brady would struggle. He was the man wronged. I say the lads who did him will be the ones feeling uneasy and hopefully remorseful and embarrassed.
Ross King should look them straight in the eye and don't blink until they do. He did nothing wrong. He is the victim and he should be very proud of the fact that he took his stance and highlighted the injury and insult that he received.

If he felt that he was now ready to go back in, then I am delighted that he took that decision and he should be applauded and supported for doing so. Don't let the bullies win Ross. Enjoy your hurling!