Additions to County panels Football and Hurling

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
jimbob17
All Star

Re: Additions to County panels Football and Hurling

Post by jimbob17 »

Ferbane will walk home in final IMO. Nothing will get near them.

As for nature of thread, it is interesting that there is nobody from Edenderry, Clara, Ferbane, Gracefield that has featured in league for Offaly this year. There are at least 10 players between the 4 clubs that are good enough! Small margins when it comes to relegation and promotion and we somehow, rarely look at the margins that are within our control. Fair enough, the team playing is close to a potential championship team but our strength in depth in general leaves us exceptionally weak for any county with any aspirations of promotion - in fact we are as weak in our non starting 15 as I have ever seen from an Offaly senior squad!
jimbob

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I can understand why it is not attractive to hurl for Offaly...but the footballers results have been okay over the last number of years everyone should be mad to play for the county.

Who are the 10 players who would be good enough for a matter of interest.

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

greenairfield wrote:I can understand why it is not attractive to hurl for Offaly...but the footballers results have been okay over the last number of years everyone should be mad to play for the county.

Colm Doyle, Carl Stewart, Graham Guilfoyle, Ross Brady (Clara)

Joe Maher, Oisin Kelly, (Ferbane)

Sean Pender, Rodge Hanlon, Sean Doyle (Edenderry)

Jack Walsh, Jamie Evans (Gracefield)

Just a few off the top of my head...

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

What a shame these lads won't go in with the county or have not been asked..
Offaly would be a strong side in division 2 if we had everyone on board.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

NewEra wrote:
greenairfield wrote:I can understand why it is not attractive to hurl for Offaly...but the footballers results have been okay over the last number of years everyone should be mad to play for the county.

Colm Doyle, Carl Stewart, Graham Guilfoyle, Ross Brady (Clara)

Joe Maher, Oisin Kelly, (Ferbane)

Sean Pender, Rodge Hanlon, Sean Doyle (Edenderry)

Jack Walsh, Jamie Evans (Gracefield)

Just a few off the top of my head...
Colm Doyle is injured and is currently on the Offaly football panel. Carl Steward would be a good lad to have pushing Johnny Maloney for centre back as we know he can get forward. Graham Guilfoyle was never a fella who stood out to me when he was playing. Would Ross Brady have the legs for intercounty football? He’s been a long time gone now.
As for Oisin Kelly he’s with the hurlers which is his preferred code so that switch will be very unlikely.
Joe Maher was told the panel was closed for the league when he expressed an interest. Hopefully with Nigel Dunne gone that frees up a place for Joe to come into the panel.
Jamie Evans came onto the panel last year when Paul Rouse took over and Jack Walsh was always knocking around for league games.
Pender is a big loss to the backline of Offaly. If Sean Doyle could get a consistent run of games under the belt I think he would be a good one to have. What’s happened Rodge Hanlon at all? He was refused a transfer to Tyrellspass back last year or two years ago but I have not seen much of him. Is he playing regularly with Edenderry? Richie Dalton would strengthen up the midfield nicely.

feirmeoir
Intermediate

Post by feirmeoir »

was at U20 final today

Johnston kicked a few points but edenderry held him well overall - he very left sided

Didnt appear to have a problem with his ankle
Last edited by feirmeoir on Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

True, not true, rumour or otherwise, it is no business of anyone on this forum what any player is doing in their private life and you should remove your comment.

Tullman
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Tullman »

As I said in my earlier post he was playing through injury that he’d still be worth something at club level he kicked 0-3 from play and 0-2 from frees he was fouled for, also drew in 4 edenderry defenders and slipped the pass for the all important goal their decision to play him has obviously paid off as they’ve just landed another title.

That college comment is inappropriate and needs to be removed

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Well, they’re back around now. Shout.
Good Luck

Offalysupporter10_
Junior C

Post by Offalysupporter10_ »

Footballers back training last Monday. For me who has travelled to the later games of championship and league final/Leinster this year, why is Joe Maher not with the footballers? is there a issue here or does Joe not want to be apart of the set up. I personally think he's our best player at the moment and think he will get Player of the year after standing out throughout scoring freely and setting the tone to lead Ferbane to Dowling win. Do we have a better centre forward or free taker at the moment? And if he's not going into football, has he been approached by hurlers? I know he hasn't played inter county in few years but we need him to get out of division 3. Any clarify on this? :?

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Joe Maher is nowhere near good enough to be on any Offaly senior hurling panel.
He might be a good footballer but come off it now throwing his name into the hat for the hurling panel.

Tullman
Intermediate

Post by Tullman »

Joe Maher player of the year? Did you miss Cian Johnson getting man of the match in the quarter final semi final and final with 2-14 from play with no wide?😂

Offalysupporter10_
Junior C

Post by Offalysupporter10_ »

Tullman wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:53 pm Joe Maher player of the year? Did you miss Cian Johnson getting man of the match in the quarter final semi final and final with 2-14 from play with no wide?😂
I'm not doubting Cian had a fantastic year playing inside. Joe played centre forward so completely different position. Can't compare scores. Also Joe found Cian for most of his points from play remember. Cian got MOTM aright for his scores but in the semi final and final Joe was the best player on the field for me. Only for him in 1st half vs Rhode Ferbane were in serious trouble. I don't want a debate on who wins it but it will be close. I think Cian will get u20 player of year. As an Offaly supporter its John Maughans job to find and field the best in the county. Offaly can't afford to leave out a player of Joe's ability. I'm just curious to know is it player not interested cause it has to be.

Tullman
Intermediate

Post by Tullman »

Not denying joes ability at all 100% should be on the county panel don’t know much about the situation myself

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Offalysupporter10_ wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:33 pm
Tullman wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:53 pm As an Offaly supporter its John Maughans job to find and field the best in the county. Offaly can't afford to leave out a player of Joe's ability. I'm just curious to know is it player not interested cause it has to be.
your right Offaly need every player with the talent Joe has but don't need bad attitudes

I think you just answered this question. Past stories have it Maher has a brutal attitude to training and attendance. Maybe acceptable at club level but not inter county.

I'm not saying this is the reason he is not in there now but there is some mumbling that he was called in last year and told Maughan he wouldn't be available until after the winter (school and music commitments) and then got in contact with Maughan himself in Feb to join the panel and Maughan told him where to go.

If true I would think it is the reason he is not in this year.

If true I agree with John Maughan. The same could be said for Nigel Dunne. There isn't too many better forwads than Nigel in Offaly but Maughan made a decision. We don't see what goes on week in week out. He is the manager, book stops with him.

Biggest thing we need to find is a midfield. Haven't replaced Niall Smith or Alan McNamee. Need 2 or 3 guys that will catch ball, especially with the new rules. Delighted to hear Conor McNamee and Micky Brazil are back on the panel.