NFL Division 3 2019

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Tullman
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Re: NFL Division 3 2019

Post by Tullman »

Down 0-9 Carlow 0-8 this isn’t good for the heart

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

1-10 to 13 injury time.
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Down 1 up.
1-10 to 14

Draw 4 mins into added time

1-11 to 15 FT Down win.
We live to fight another day.
Good Luck

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Will we beat Sligo away?..they have nothing to play for but will surely want to go out with a good performance as they will be idle now til championship...Offaly got 0-15 which was decent scoring considering I am constantly giving out that they dont score enough...Interesting to see how this game goes...Ide say Laois will fancy taking Carlow..not sure where that game is but if its in Carlow it will be a tricky one for Laois...probably in Laois though as Laois were away yesterday and Carlow were at home V Down...

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Fairplayalways wrote:Will we beat Sligo away?..they have nothing to play for but will surely want to go out with a good performance as they will be idle now til championship...Offaly got 0-15 which was decent scoring considering I am constantly giving out that they dont score enough...Interesting to see how this game goes...Ide say Laois will fancy taking Carlow..not sure where that game is but if its in Carlow it will be a tricky one for Laois...probably in Laois though as Laois were away yesterday and Carlow were at home V Down...
Will we beat Sligo away? That's the question. Laois should be interested in pushing for promotion, but Carlow has played tough the last few outings.

Fingers crossed. This is a good level of play for us (Division 3)
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Kevin wrote:
Fairplayalways wrote:Will we beat Sligo away?..they have nothing to play for but will surely want to go out with a good performance as they will be idle now til championship...Offaly got 0-15 which was decent scoring considering I am constantly giving out that they dont score enough...Interesting to see how this game goes...Ide say Laois will fancy taking Carlow..not sure where that game is but if its in Carlow it will be a tricky one for Laois...probably in Laois though as Laois were away yesterday and Carlow were at home V Down...
Will we beat Sligo away? That's the question. Laois should be interested in pushing for promotion, but Carlow has played tough the last few outings.

Fingers crossed. This is a good level of play for us (Division 3)
Game is in Collooney on Sunday. Carlow only need a draw to stay up. We must win, and then hope Laois beat Carlow, could be a long wait.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

A few near misses this season.

Best wishes to the team who know a win is imperative. On top of that a small bit of luck would be nice.

Go get'em lads!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Good Luck

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

We survived just

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

The great escape!
I doubt there has been a team that had so many results decided in injury time during a league campaign.

Well done to all. Fully deserved survival.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Never a dull moment in division 3!

2016: missed out on promotion to division 2 due to score difference.
2017: saved from relegation on the last day with win over Laois in that 7 goal thriller.
2018: saved on last day after beating Westmeath who put out a 2nd string side as they had nothing to play for.
2019: Saved again today with a scrappy win over a Sligo team with nothing to play for, oh and a favour from the neighbours....thanks lads.

Niall Mc proved his worth today. Had he been available and used from round 1then there would be two more wins on the board.
So next year will see Cork and Tipp join division 3 along with Derry and Leitrim.
Cork being a non traditional football county look to be returning to their level now as Mr. Cusack would say :lol: :lol: :lol:

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Good Luck

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I think it's fair to say that while in 2018, we were charmed to escape relegation - I don't think anyone would have said that we were better than Derry over the course of seven games - this year the panel proved time and again that Division 3 is their level. Six of seven games decided by a goal or less, and they were every bit as good as Down for half the game in Newry as well, even though the final margin didn't suggest anything of the sort.

To do that with so many players unavailable, with a couple of other key lads making their way back from injury and then the Nigel Dunne affair in the middle of it all, would genuinely indicate that there is upward momentum there to build on. Of course it's entirely possible that the team could play well in Navan and still get nothing from the game, and they could then end up getting an away trip to somewhere like Cavan or Fermanagh, but even if it's two strikes and out in the summer, there's already something to show for this year. I'm delighted for the lads, they played well enough to earn their survival, even though it might have been taken out of their hands.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Survival was all that mattered but still the performance standard is still very very low. A few of the more senior players are not performing well and really need to pull their socks up.

Correct me if I am wrong but yesterday, no player from Edenderry, Ferbane or Clara started. 3 of the biggest clubs in the county and town clubs at that. Edenderry and Ferbane have been consistently very strong at underage and schools levels over the last decade and then they are contributing nothing to the senior county team now. Is there a big fall off of players giving up GAA when they get to college or after college? Or why are these successful underage players not able to step up? Something does not add up.

You go back to the noughties and Shamrocks, Clara, Edenderry and Gracefield were very strong clubs. Of them clubs, now only a goalkeeper is the 1 player currently on the county team. Why are all these clubs failing to produce quality county standard players?

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

timber wrote:Survival was all that mattered but still the performance standard is still very very low. A few of the more senior players are not performing well and really need to pull their socks up.

Correct me if I am wrong but yesterday, no player from Edenderry, Ferbane or Clara started. 3 of the biggest clubs in the county and town clubs at that. Edenderry and Ferbane have been consistently very strong at underage and schools levels over the last decade and then they are contributing nothing to the senior county team now. Is there a big fall off of players giving up GAA when they get to college or after college? Or why are these successful underage players not able to step up? Something does not add up.

You go back to the noughties and Shamrocks, Clara, Edenderry and Gracefield were very strong clubs. Of them clubs, now only a goalkeeper is the 1 player currently on the county team. Why are all these clubs failing to produce quality county standard players?
If I am right a number of players were asked in and either refused or could not commit. Also a lot of players while playing at a so called bigger club might be good club players but no where near county level. From Edenderry as I see it Sean Pender is probably the only player that would start at county level and he didn’t join the cause tis year. The success of Schools football in St.Marys has been down to a lot of Kildare ballers in the past but I do agree their should at least be one or two decent players coming from these teams that would contribute to Offaly. The lads that are there now are what we have and fair play to them and the management for keeping the heads and battling hard to survive after 2-3 set backs in the early games. Championship is up next let’s get behind the team, all roads lead to Navan.