NFL Division 3 2019

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Re: NFL Division 3 2019

Post by pigeon house biffo »

LooseCannon wrote:The state of play at the moment.
Hopefully some sort of result against Laois and a win against Sligo will be enough

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Sligo being already relegated helps. Though I have seen teams in a similar situation put in a big effort in their last league game to try and improve the mood for championship.

A two way tie with Carlow is fine as Offaly trump them on the head to head. If Longford don't pull away and they finish on the same points as Offaly and Carlow, that's not ideal. The 8 point scoring difference dent suffered at the weekend could be costly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Nigel Dunne put out a statement. Felt isolated and unwelcomed in the set up.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

private joker wrote:Nigel Dunne put out a statement. Felt isolated and unwelcomed in the set up.
No making plans for Nigel then?

pigeon house biffo
All Star

SearingDrive wrote:
private joker wrote:Nigel Dunne put out a statement. Felt isolated and unwelcomed in the set up.
No making plans for Nigel then?
A case of what could have been...

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

SearingDrive wrote:No making plans for Nigel then?
We only want whats best for him.

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

Dunne has form for throwing his toys out of the pram, says he felt unwelcome in the camp, does he want a hug before or after training, let him on, he's not fit too lace Niall mcs boots, even now.
great history hoping for a better future

hamstrings
Junior A

Post by hamstrings »

I think dunne is a great player and a huge loss to the set up but I think he is maybe sensitive to any constructive criticism. He feels aggrieved he is not starting but doesn't mean you have to go make a scene ,if he feels he should be on the team which I gather what's going on he's not doing himself any favours walking away. He should be telling himself right I'm goimg to convince this management team I'm good enough to be on this team and I'll leave no stone unturned to be on it instead of throwing in the towel

If he has problems in his life im sure offaly gaa will accomadate in anyway they can to help him but somehow his history tells he can't take anything on the chin one person isn't greater than the team.

pigeon house biffo
All Star

hamstrings wrote:I think dunne is a great player and a huge loss to the set up but I think he is maybe sensitive to any constructive criticism. He feels aggrieved he is not starting but doesn't mean you have to go make a scene ,if he feels he should be on the team which I gather what's going on he's not doing himself any favours walking away. He should be telling himself right I'm goimg to convince this management team I'm good enough to be on this team and I'll leave no stone unturned to be on it instead of throwing in the towel

If he has problems in his life im sure offaly gaa will accomadate in anyway they can to help him but somehow his history tells he can't take anything on the chin one person isn't greater than the team.
whilst id agree to an extent, the idea that Nigel Dunne needs to prove himself is a bit of a stretch. He's been consistently one of our best forwards for the past couple of years and has played at a high level in Dublin football meaning he has had a regular exposure to high level opposition that many of our players don't have. This is supplemented by the fact that he has won back to back senior b player of the year as well as leading his club on a Leinster campaign this year. He's as close (if not the closest) to an elite level inside forward that we have and as far as im concerned he should be the first name on the teamsheet.

Whilst he has had in the past issues with management i'm sure he hasn't given up tracts of his life to play intercounty just to then turn tail and scarper at the first sign of conflict. I don't know anything about the lad but if the slog at county level is as hard as its painted players would surely persevere through all and sundry in order to make an impact, particularly at this time of the year when the playing field is so competitive.

Nigel has stood up when hes needed to in this campagin and previous, i'd back him as good as most in his position, definetly in this division if not the two levels above. It may be a case that he doesn't react to certain forms of feedback in a positive manner but i believe that its management teams responsbibility to get the most out of him. Hes never had issues with pat flanagan when he was here to my knowledge? Its been the last two outside managers, as well as an inexperienced emmett mcdonnell where hes fallen foul.

Just my thoughts on it, happy to stand corrected of course. Certainly not meant as being critical to any party and i do enjoy engaging on this forum.

pigeon house biffo
All Star

How are we feeling going down the home stretch?

A win against Sligo? a draw against Laois? Would this be enough to keep us up? We have a favourable head to head with carlow so as long as our results dont differ from theres we should be ok!

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

[quote="pigeon house biffo"]How are we feeling going down the home stretch?

A win against Sligo? a draw against Laois? Would this be enough to keep us up? We have a favourable head to head with carlow so as long as our results dont differ from theres we should be ok![/quote
Offaly are favourites for relegation, they will have it all do to beat Laois, and then travel to Sligo looking for a win.
This is the third year in a row that Offaly are facing a relegation battle, going into the last 2 games, not a great sign of progress.
There is nothing guaranteed, and of course I hope Offaly win next Sunday, and the following Sunday, it is in our own hands.
Time will tell. A second relegation in 6 days would be a real downer.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

SearingDrive wrote:
pigeon house biffo wrote:How are we feeling going down the home stretch?

A win against Sligo? a draw against Laois? Would this be enough to keep us up? We have a favourable head to head with carlow so as long as our results dont differ from theres we should be ok!
Offaly are favourites for relegation, they will have it all do to beat Laois, and then travel to Sligo looking for a win.
This is the third year in a row that Offaly are facing a relegation battle, going into the last 2 games, not a great sign of progress.
There is nothing guaranteed, and of course I hope Offaly win next Sunday, and the following Sunday, it is in our own hands.
Time will tell. A second relegation in 6 days would be a real downer.
Just on that, match is on @2 in OCP on Saturday as Sunday is St Patrick’s Day.

Carlow have Down in Carlow on Saturday and Leix in Portlaoise the following Sunday.

Poacher, being a Down native will of course be looking to get one over on his native county. I can envisage, to paraphrase Ger Loughnane, pure constipated football. Putrid stuff twill be. A low scoring affair, no doubt.

Carlow do appear to have a mental block that prevents them from beating Laois. At the same time, Laois are a better team, although Carlow possess a strong midfield with the two Murphys.

Back to ourselves, victory v Sligo should be enough to survive, but at the same time, I’d like to see us take something from the Leix game. Eoin Rigney on Evan O’Carroll, with perhaps McConway on Kingston. Keeping those two quiet would go an awful long way on the path to victory. Easier said than done of course!
Good Luck

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

LooseCannon wrote:Back to ourselves, victory v Sligo should be enough to survive
Oh I don't know about this LC. That would leave Offaly on 5. Longford will be on 7 after beating Sligo so I guess they'll be safe enough with the possibility of getting something from the Westmeath game in the last round as well. So that leaves Offaly and Carlow battling it out and we'd have to hope Carlow get nothing in either of their last 2 games so we'd survive on the head to head. Hmmm hopefully but I'd be concerned about relying on that. For me the Laois game Saturday is must win. Also expect Sligo in the last round to be dangerous at home with nothing to play for teams can let cut loose. Lets hope it all works out and Carlow are relegated for their crimes against football.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

‪Offaly team v Laois ‬
‪1 Paddy Dunican‬
‪2 Declan Hogan‬
‪3 Eoin Rigney‬
‪4 David Dempsey‬
‪5 Cian Donohoe‬
‪6 Johnny Moloney‬
‪7 Paul McConway‬