NHL Division 1B 2019

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Re: NHL Division 1B 2019

Post by kaiserchief »

"Make your own bed, so you have to lie in it"

Shane Stapleton form off the Ball highlighted should Offaly have the right to sit at the top table for what they achieved 25 years ago.

We are still dependent on the same lads who are now 30, 31, 32 and more to come back and anchor the ship. The likes or Bergin, Dooloey, Mahon, Egan..

Offaly hurling is in a really bad place. So that lads from Shinrone and other clubs have chosen commit to the club before the county. And could you blame them really.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

So I got out a pen and paper today as I wanted to see who all these Offaly hurlers are, given Kevin Martin could put out almost a new team against Antrim last year, yet there were so very few from either team who lined out against Waterford.

I discovered that 42 different hurlers have played in the league for Offaly since 2018’s first round. That is an astonishing number. Added to that, six of Offaly’s unused subs last Sunday still await their debuts. So that could, in theory, rise to 48 by the end of this year’s league campaign.

In a county with (I think) 21 clubs who have hurling teams (8 Senior A, 8 Senior B, Clara and B-K were Intermediate last year, while Crinkill, Gracefield and Raheen are Junior). If we just take the Senior A and Senior B clubs for the purpose of this demonstration, that’s 16 clubs with 240 players. If 48 men have played county in the last 12 months, that’s one in five club Senior players. That is barking mad!

It shows the prospect of ‘playing in a competition where there is a chance of winning something’ is not an incentive for players to get out and play for their county.

Quite the opposite, it now seems. Now, we all know the coaching and preparation in Offaly has ranged from poor to non-existent for two decades now, but Offaly hurling could do without the coffin screws in the shape of exclusion from their own province.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

I think that hurling in Raheen ended with the formation of Clodiagh Gaels, with Raheen players getting permission to play with them.
Good Luck

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

You're right. For the purpose of the calculation of the 1 in 5 thing, I excluded the Intermediate and Junior clubs as none of them had anyone involved with Offaly. But there's 20 hurling clubs then, not 21.
LooseCannon wrote:I think that hurling in Raheen ended with the formation of Clodiagh Gaels, with Raheen players getting permission to play with them.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

It shows the prospect of ‘playing in a competition where there is a chance of winning something’ is not an incentive for players to get out and play for their county.
I am not so sure that I would make the same mental jump as you on that one Plain. You are essentially saying, Offaly are not in leinster, therefore lots of players don’t want to play. Do you have any evidence to back that up? By evidence I mean - a list of players that were asked to play but said no and cited not in Leinster as their reason.

Win the joe Mc and you are one step away from an All Ireland quarter final. Our handiest chance in years of making it that far. Surely that would have the players knocking down the door to play.

My main point is - let’s not jump to conclusions and really try to understand why the turnover from year to year is high. Is it Kevin Martin just trying to experiment, is it trying to give everyone a chance, is it realizing that who was there last year didn’t cut it so something new needs to be tried, is it no interest from players.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

llkj wrote:
I am not so sure that I would make the same mental jump as you on that one Plain. You are essentially saying, Offaly are not in leinster, therefore lots of players don’t want to play. Do you have any evidence to back that up? By evidence I mean - a list of players that were asked to play but said no and cited not in Leinster as their reason.

Win the joe Mc and you are one step away from an All Ireland quarter final. Our handiest chance in years of making it that far. Surely that would have the players knocking down the door to play.

My main point is - let’s not jump to conclusions and really try to understand why the turnover from year to year is high. Is it Kevin Martin just trying to experiment, is it trying to give everyone a chance, is it realizing that who was there last year didn’t cut it so something new needs to be tried, is it no interest from players.
I’d tend to agree with POTH on this one. Although those who aren’t playing this year for one reason or other may not have indicated our relegation from Leinster as a reason as to why they aren’t playing this year, it’s hardly pure coincidence.

I might put up a list this evening.
Good Luck

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Quite the opposite, it now seems. Now, we all know the coaching and preparation in Offaly has ranged from poor to non-existent for two decades now, but Offaly hurling could do without the coffin screws in the shape of exclusion from their own province.
Who is the coaching officer responsible for Hurling in the county? (Genuine question)
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

True Red wrote:
Who is the coaching officer responsible for Hurling in the county? (Genuine question)
Martin Cashen I believe or so it says on the Offaly Gaa website http://offaly.gaa.ie/county-committee/c ... ee-2017-2/

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Sorry, I meant the actual coach that works with clubs and schools etc?
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Conor Clancy and Michael Cleary were involved in that end of things

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Was over in faithful fields during the summer on a number of occasions at different games...
While I was attending the games there was some training sessions been doing with some of our squads by the above named coaches...on one occasion there must of been 30 players I think U15 and one coach training them...the level and the pace these guys were playing at was like something you would do at under 12 club level..and then we wonder why our lads aren't up to mark.

You can blame the club all you like but you would imagine when these lads get called into the County they have the best training available to them and from what I seen that is not the case what so ever.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Youth Players spend the vast majority of their time, training with their clubs. They have to enter the development squads at a reasonable standard. Both physically and skill wise. In Offaly they don't meet those standards yet. The little time they spend in the faithful fields isn't going to help too much in the long term.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

The new All-Ireland eighth-final is a waste of time. Teams coming from the lower division have as much chance as a snowball in an oven of competing with the third placed team in either Munster or Leinster. Coming from a lower level, they are lambs to the slaughter. Their hurling would be way too slow. There might be some chance in a mudbath, but in midsummer conditions? No chance.

If the All-Ireland eighth-final was the "handiest chance" to launch an All-Ireland campaign coming from the McDonagh (or Cooney or Connolly or whatever Galway hurler you like), there'd be relegation from the Munster championship. There isn't, and there won't be.
llkj wrote:Win the joe Mc and you are one step away from an All Ireland quarter final. Our handiest chance in years of making it that far. Surely that would have the players knocking down the door to play.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Totally agree POTH. If these tiered competitions were so good for the development of hurling then why no relegation from Munster? What have they to fear? Or why wasn't it leveled up and the bottom team in Leinster given the chance to play of against the Ronald McDonald winners? Mind you Offaly would have been well beaten in that game last year if it had taken place but that's not the point.

The root cause of all this is Galways inclusion in Leinster. It should never have happened. Now that their underage teams are in Leinster as well it leaves the likes of Offaly and Laois with no chance of reaching even a Leinster final. Whats in this for the Leinster counties? The GAA don't want us or Westmeath, Laois, Carlow etc. involved. Ideally they want only their big 9 teams playing week in week out but I tell you the familiarity of these teams taking on each other every year will slowly take the edge off the games and the All Ireland will become even more irrelevant and bastardised than it is currently if that's possible. Actually no it's not possible.

The super 8's as they call it in football has finally killed the All Ireland football championship but wait til they break the earlier rounds up into groups as well.
One word describes the championships now and that's "boring". The leagues are more enjoyable.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

bracknaghboy wrote:Totally agree POTH. If these tiered competitions were so good for the development of hurling then why no relegation from Munster? What have they to fear? Or why wasn't it leveled up and the bottom team in Leinster given the chance to play of against the Ronald McDonald winners? Mind you Offaly would have been well beaten in that game last year if it had taken place but that's not the point.

The root cause of all this is Galways inclusion in Leinster. It should never have happened. Now that their underage teams are in Leinster as well it leaves the likes of Offaly and Laois with no chance of reaching even a Leinster final. Whats in this for the Leinster counties? The GAA don't want us or Westmeath, Laois, Carlow etc. involved. Ideally they want only their big 9 teams playing week in week out but I tell you the familiarity of these teams taking on each other every year will slowly take the edge off the games and the All Ireland will become even more irrelevant and bastardised than it is currently if that's possible. Actually no it's not possible.

The super 8's as they call it in football has finally killed the All Ireland football championship but wait til they break the earlier rounds up into groups as well.
One word describes the championships now and that's "boring". The leagues are more enjoyable.
Really, what tripe!!! It's Galways fault!!! Offaly getting hammered week in week out ,is because Galway were put into Leinster? Not because of A useless county board?, lack of investment underage development within the county?. No, root cause is Galway. Your post sums up everything wrong within Offaly. Making fun of A competition Offaly will find hard to win, what the GAA wants, which is in every sport, is teams who can compete against each other , playing each other. No point in having a relegation play-off between a Munster team and a bottom Leinster team. It would be a hammering.