O’Byrne Cup 2019…ish

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
jimbob17
All Star

Re: O’Byrne Cup 2019…ish

Post by jimbob17 »

You cant blame Maughan on this front. He doesnt know anyone of the footballers. What are his selectors doing- the local people. They are the people that know them or at least should do if they are county selectors.

How come Pat Flanagan was able to have majority of players needed in playing.

Johnson is U20 and should be playing at that level. Is he good enough for senior? I am not convinced he is just yet - no doubt would be if he developed physically.

Some of the lads not in there that I think could be included are listed below. Fairly sure a lot were asked but not too sure all of them were!

Ross Brady Clara
Ruairi Allen Gracefield
Jamie Evans Gracefield
Jack Walsh Gracefield
Nathan Poland Erin Rovers
Ronan McEvoy Shannonbridge
McPadden brothers Rhode
Ken Garry Rhode
Leon Fox Ferbane
Joe Maher Ferbane
Jack Cullinane Ferbane
Oisin Kelly Ferbane but most likely staying with hurling
Rodge Hanlon Edenderry
Sean Pender Edenderry
Sean Doyle Edenderry
Conor Dunne Ballycommon

Some other talented lads out there also deserve to be looked at given there are lads in there who struggle to make their own club team.
Some may have been in previously and some are younger players with some potential for future.
Egan chap from Edenderry
Rory O'Neill Clonbullogue
Peter Byrne Clonbullogue
Tom Mealiffe Ballycommon
Steven Conneely Ballycommon
Karl Dunne Ballycommon
Callum Boland Doon?
Pa Robilliard Tullamore
Dean Carroll Tullamore
Paddy Dunican Shamrocks
Johnny O Toole Green Shamrocks
Cian Farrell Edenderry - U20?
Cian Johnson Ferbane - U20
Foy lad from Clonmore who was very good co minor 5 or 6 years ago.

Surely one or 2 more between Ballycumber, Tubber, Erin Rovers, Clodiagh Gaels. There are over 30 lads mentioned there that are at least as good as the back end of the current panel.
jimbob

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Some of the players mentioned on your list, have been given a chance county panels before, and have played for Offaly.
For whatever reason personal, or not considered good enough they are no longer on county panels.

Tullman
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Tullman »

He surely knows who Cian Johnson is after last year he was all over national media. The performance he put in last year in Parnell Park hasn’t been seen since Niall mcnamee 0-6 from play at 18 and it’s just a shame he’s not on any Offaly panel at the minute a bigger county would not let that happen to one of their up and coming Stars. You say he needs to develop physically why don’t they let him gym with seniors? He won’t be developing at home

Nathan Poland and jack cullinan are still u20 Sean Doyle Sean Pender Leon foc and joe Maher didn’t commit that’s all I know of

Agree on local selectors they should be using their knowledge to the best of their ability to assist Maughan tough division 3 campaign but fingers crossed we can improve on last year

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Fair enough if the lads are U20 - that is the priority over senior for them and rightly so! In fairness, the county board took a strong stand and made a policy two years ago that those who are U20 are prioritised at U20 level. It is the right way to do it - to develop lads correctly and give them chance to get ready for senior. The question then re Johnson is why isnt he on the U20s? I am sure that the U20 team management would love to have him? There is 5 or 6 months to U20 championship so absolutely no reason he shouldnt be going in training with them unless it is his personal decision to choose not to make himself available - in which case, you would wonder if he even wants to play senior inter-county eventually given that U20 is a significant stepping stone?
jimbob

Tullman
Intermediate

Post by Tullman »

I’m not sure as to why he isn’t with the u20s all I heard is he is not on either squad right now I presume he’s pissed off with not being called for senior squad. He will play Senior in the future for sure don’t know the lad but from what I heard minds himself very well doesn’t drink which is rare these days! County board probably right with the u20 thing but there’s always a few exceptions like Clifford

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

The team:
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Beaten 3-12 to 2-14. Was a member of the Carlow management team acting like a *****?
Saw something about it on Twitter.
Good Luck

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

LooseCannon wrote:Beaten 3-12 to 2-14. Was a member of the Carlow management team acting like a *****?
Saw something about it on Twitter.
Wouldn't be a surprise. O'Brien and Poacher are a pair of egotistical clowns at best.
Looks like Carlow had a strong team out so a 1 point loss seems a credible result but we'll need to hear from someone who was it to be sure. I'll see what I can find out in the pub tonight and report back!!

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Carlow were comfortable for spells and got scores easier from play. We were reliant on lot of frees from Allen (who was excellent) and Tierney in first half. They got 3 goals - at least one of which was poor defending. We got two but left goals out there. Niall Darby missed a 1v1 in first half and at the end, Sullivan played great ball to Mark Abbott who was free 1 v 1 but effort was very tame.

Carlow were close to full strength and brought their best forward Broderick off bench to good effect at the end. We struggled in Midfield in 1st half but Dempsey went out and nullified Sean Murphy as best he could. Murphy best player on pitch by good distance and showed real pace and class and hurt us at times.

For Offaly, Rigney was good, as were Joey O Connor and McConway. Dempsey good through out game. New lad from Kilmacud (Nolan) started well when brought in but got turned over few times later on when running into traffic. Very athletic though and will be big addition once he gets tuned into lads around him and knowe how they play. Anton Sullivan carried world of ball but just needs to not take as much out of it as the ball going in was slow and allowed Carlow to get back and set up. That said, he was very good for us.

Moloney excellent I thought and needed some more direct ball in. Scored well and was capable of more damage. Allen excellent too and Tierney did well up to half time - surprisingly subbed (possibly injured?).

Of the subs, Jordan Hayes probably most involved but Higgins did fairly okay too. Ruairi Mcnamee and Conor Carroll didnt make much impact though i think Carroll might have fisted goal from full forward.

Overall, youd have to be fairly satisfied. Carlow were physically much bigger and further down the track than us. They were at full strength when we could say likes of Eoin Carroll, Cunningham and one or two more would improve us a lot. Also finished with weakened team with Cian Donoghue, Joe O Connor and others going off. Overall I was surprised we were as close as we were and could easily have won if chances converted. It wouldnt take a lot for this group to improve and challenge for div 3. Liked the way we tried to play football and moved ball well at times.
jimbob

Tullman
Intermediate

Post by Tullman »

I wouldn’t agree that Carlow were closer to full strength. Carlow were missing 5 of the team that lost to Tyrone in last years qualifier. How many of that Offaly team will start vs Meath in Championship? At least 10 so I would say teams were at equal strength today

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Tullman wrote:I wouldn’t agree that Carlow were closer to full strength. Carlow were missing 5 of the team that lost to Tyrone in last years qualifier. How many of that Offaly team will start vs Meath in Championship? At least 10 so I would say teams were at equal strength today
The point is that Carlow are into year 4 of their ugly defensive system under O'Brien so they are all working off the one sheet and know what they are expected to do. Offaly are 2 months into the Maughan regime so all involved must be just finding their feet.

Cheers jimbob for the report.

feirmeoir
Intermediate

Post by feirmeoir »

who's this mark abbott

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

feirmeoir wrote:who's this mark abbott
Smallish, light lad from Edenderry I think. I’m fairly sure that he’s who I think he is.
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

How did Jason Dunne play in the goals? Shot stopping? Distribution?
I’ve never seen him play.
Good Luck

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Dunne did okay. Distribution fairly okay off kickouts. Lost one or 2 they shouldnt have but id have seen it as receiver clumsiness rather than poor distribution. Did get caught out under one high ball but recovered by full back line. Conceded 1 goal he couldnt have done anything about. Replaced at half time by Barry Rohan from S Bridge. Rohan generally assured on kick outs - made one outstanding save before rebound scored on second goal I think. Felt he could have possibly done better on one of goals but not fully sure - i was long distance from it. He is probably the guy in posession of jersey as of now.
jimbob