Walsh Cup 2019…ish

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Tullman
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Re: Walsh Cup 2019…ish

Post by Tullman »

Good to see Connolly in , anyone know who done the scoring vs Dublin?

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

Cant really blame the clearys having being overlooked last year in favour of their younger brother who has yet to establish himself on the Shinrone team.

I don't think the Doughans have the pace required for inter county hurling

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Conor Doughan is the only guarnteed starter out of them. Still just weakens the players we have on the bench.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Sean and Michael Cleary were in great form this year for Shinrone and could have brought something to the squad. I wonder is this influenced from Arien Delaney? When he was over Camross very few went into the Laois Senior hurling panel. Also I heard Shinrone were back training in October

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Does not bode well for 2019. Even if not starters, they be needed for training and in house matches. Bringing on others aswell as themselves.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

greenairfield wrote:I feel really concerned about what we have in with the county at the minute...I think we are really going to struggle this year.
We lack quality!

I know it's early in the year but I worry for us this season.
Have to say I agree with this assessment. I'm expecting a relegation play off between Offaly and Laois to decide who will be playing in division 2A of the league in 2020.
As for the Joe McDonagh, it's too early to say but wouldn't be overly surprised if Offaly go on to win it and equally i wouldn't be surprised if we are in Tralee on the last day looking for a win to avoid relegation.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Am not surprised. They seem to face a bit of an identity crisis.
To be fair to Martin, Ciarán Cleary showed some promise towards the end of last year, so I wouldn’t blame him for that.

If they don’t want to play, it’s their decision, although there appears to be something fishy about it.
By the way, they’re quarter finalists, not county champions. We’ll have to make do with players that want to commit.
Seir Kieran were county semi finalists in 17 and relegated in 18. Shinrone could easily end up in a relegation playoff next year.
Good Luck

Tullman
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Tullman »

Anyone know who played well vs Dublin? And who done the scoring?!

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

David King is not involved this year

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Who’ll be on frees?
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

No KK lads on match day panel. Gorman and Enda Grogan played v Leix. Are they still on the panel? They could be injured.
Good Luck

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

2 18 to 18. Carlow win. A lot of wides, 18 in total.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Footballers beaten yesterday, hurlers beaten by six today, both to Carlow. No disrespect to Carlow but doesnt it just show how far we have fallen. More is the point that if this happened 10 years ago there would be a public outcry.

Now it is just accepted. While Carlow have shown to have got their house in order in both codes, and have improved significantly, it is worrying that we are being beaten by teams that would generally be considered as minnows by majority of people.

Playing for county team no longer has the appeal it once had i think. Any lad now under 27 would have no recollection of any county success of late nineties, either in football or hurling.

I just wonder how long itll take to get back to McCarthy cup level. With Westmeath Antrim Laois chomping at bit, not to mention a resurgent Kerry and Kildare, it is not inconceivable that we could find ourselves in relegation battle to stay in Joe McDonagh like Laois did last year. I know we were down a few so called big guns today but Carlow were probably also trying out lads with view to league. It certainly is a worry.
jimbob

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Carlow just need to find 4 more points...