U21 Hurling

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: U21 Hurling

Post by bracknaghboy »

Bord na Mona man wrote:A damp dreary night and a low tempo game was exactly what Galway wanted.
I'm not sure about that. If it had been a fine night with a bit of tempo to the game I've little doubt they'd have put up 5-25 or the like.
Watching these beatings is becoming demoralising even for the hardened supporters, this was another shambles tonight and yet again we see an Offaly team with no visible style of play and no discernible game plan.

Much has been made of the recent relegation. Some believe that Offalys touch and speed on the ball will suffer in the Joe McDonagh, whilst others think playing at lower level may help improve things slowly and then get promoted. I believe both views are wide of the mark. The basic skills of most Offaly players are so far short of what is required that what happens in the matches themselves is largely irrelevant to Offaly players. Touch and speed on the ball cannot be improved much in games but rather it needs to done to death in training. Training drills need to be done at 100mph for the full session, but the trainer needs to know what they at. Night after night of this kind of work and then you take this and apply it in the matches. When a reasonable level of skill and speed are acquired in training then what happens in the matches matters and you can bring yourself up to the pace of the bigger teams. Even the Offaly warmups for matches look like they are being done in slow motion. Dublin really upped the ante in terms of warmup 10 minutes prior to throw in 2 weeks ago in Parnel Park.....in contrast our lads were having a leisurely puck about.
Something is going terribly wrong on the training grounds in Offaly. No way should the basic skills be so lacking.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

greenairfield wrote: Things will only get worse from here on in...work has to be done all over the county specially in the south because if lads down here can't start ahead of some them lads it doesn't say much.
Big man picking on the players that were good enough to start. How about asking yourself the question why there is only a handful of players from the South good enough to get on the team. Obviously too much time spent cribbing about O' Connor park and not focussing on developing the hurling skills required.

There has always been an arrogance from some of the older Fraternity in the south towards hurlers from the north. Some lovely folk in the south as well but there has been some bad eggs who have had far too much involvement and pull in Offaly hurling down through the years. A total ignorance to how the game has evolved.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Timber you ran your mouth off before the match and you ate your words last night when we seen some of the level of skills of players on show.

I don't have an ignorance to north folk I think we should always have a few faces on every team from the north because the reality is we are a small county and bar ballinamere/ durrow football is the first sport of most other clubs.

The issue i have is when the north start taking swipes at the south when things aren't going well...at the end of the day if we don't get things right down the south hurling will never recover because it's traditionally the counties strong hold for hurling down this end.

I don't think people are putting there energy into the whole SBP debate it's an argument by a small group of people who want some games back here.

Birr had 3 on the panel last night and one other would of started but didn't comit to the cause.

I can't speak for other clubs.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Given the way some of the underage championships have gone in Offaly in recent years, it was always likely that there would be a strong Clodiagh Gaels presence on this team. The problem is not that there was a pro-north or anti-south bias in the selection, since I'd have a fair degree of confidence in this management team doing things the right way and picking what they believed to be the best team available to them.

The problem is that this was the best Offaly had, and Galway made absolutely bits of them - it was utterly one sided, and that was with Galway never having to extend themselves. That's a big problem for every club in the county - North and South.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Lone Shark wrote:Given the way some of the underage championships have gone in Offaly in recent years, it was always likely that there would be a strong Clodiagh Gaels presence on this team. The problem is not that there was a pro-north or anti-south bias in the selection, since I'd have a fair degree of confidence in this management team doing things the right way and picking what they believed to be the best team available to them.

The problem is that this was the best Offaly had, and Galway made absolutely bits of them - it was utterly one sided, and that was with Galway never having to extend themselves. That's a big problem for every club in the county - North and South.
To be honest, I think that Kevin McDermott would be on it, but he’s with the footballers.
Good Luck

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

I watch these hurlers over that last few years they not as bad as showing last night.
What was Bad was the team set up, Galway look like rugby players we looked like Long distance runners.
instead of try to avoid going into the tackle we ran straight into the biggest of the Galway players.
We won no ball on the ground cause Galway twice the size of us. that not the players fail that a management not think things through.

The game plan look like something from Angry birds. when the defence got the ball it was hit straight up the field, straight untop of our smaller players. no cross field balls.
who we're getting bully by there bigger marker. If your going to line out with smaller players they need space.
That means two corner forward need to almost stand of the sideline to make space for themselves.

Last night reminded me of a Eamonn Kelly team selections and game plan. Copy from a Clare team that was both Good, unique and Very Very luck.
Worked in 2013 hasn't work since and has been abandoned since.
The thing is Galway we're not good last night.

I hope Kevin Corrigan doesn't have a full page article about Oisin Kelly Discipline Issue like the bullshit he wrote earlier this year.
“Common sense is not so common.”

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

greenairfield wrote:Timber you ran your mouth off before the match and you ate your words last night when we seen some of the level of skills of players on show.
Greenairfield what words exactly did I eat. Asking why some of the main hurling clubs in Offaly have not produced anybody to make the team. You're statement is a bit bizarre.

On the game, I don't think there was any shock around the result. Wasn't this squad well beaten by Dublin and lost to Laois by 10 points at minor grade. Galway won the minor all Ireland with this team. I don't think expectations could have been too high from the public.

If you are trying to deflect from the fact that some clubs who are concentrating fully on hurling (Not playing hurling one week then football focus the next), and still not having anybody good enough for the team. There has been a massive issue with coaching in the county. I just think its a very bad reflection on the clubs and development of players. Ive seen lads on county minor teams only playing for their 2nd and 3rd choice adult club teams and struggling in these junior grade games.

Before we go down the road of blaming results on the conditioning of players. It's not the problem. Hurling skills and the pace and intensity Offaly clubs and county teams hurl at is far too pedestrian. The poor lads who hit the field for the county get a cruel shock when they enter a game played at an intensity they are not use to.

Anybody who has experienced hurling senior in offaly over the last 20 years and compare it to the intensity of colleges and intercounty games they may have played in. Different planet.

Loan shark is correct in his comments. The players who were out there were the best players available in the county. The standard in the county is not up to scratch.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Under 21 hurling fixture tomorrow, Friday evening - Drumcullen/Clareen v Cúchulainn Gaels at Rath at 7.15pm.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Straight knockout game at the home venue of one of the participants???

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

U21 hurling is played on a home or away basis up to and including the quarter-finals. That's been the way for several years now. I don't think it's a factor, it's not like you're going to Galatasaray, or even Ennis, and I don't expect Rath will play on the minds of the Lusmagh and Kinnitty lads this evening.
frankthetank wrote:Straight knockout game at the home venue of one of the participants???

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

A win for Cúchulainn Gaels yesterday evening, coming with two late points for a 1-16 to 0-18 win. The Kinnitty / Lusmagh combination had led 1-8 to 0-8 at half-time.

The revised draw for the first round proper is as follows: -
Na Fianna v Cúchulainn Gaels
Shinrone v Coolderry
Tullamore v Shamrocks
Kilcormac-Killoughey v Clara

Last year's semi-finalists, St Brendan's, Ballinamere, Belmont and St Rynagh's enter the championship at the quarter-final stage.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

A twist in the tale of the U21 championship. Kilcormac expelled and Ballinamere restored following an objection to a suspended player. The latter will face Clodiagh Gaels in Saturday's semi-final.

Belmont awaiting the winners in the final. None of the final three have won the competition before (though Ballinamere won it in 2011 when joined by Brosna Gaels and Clara). This in a championship that has seen seven different winners in the last 10 years.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Do you have any details about what happened here Plain?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

See Michael duignan got 3 months suspension from the KK vs ballinnamere game.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

That’s his form as a mentor. He’s toxic on the sideline.