Leinster Club Hurling

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Re: Leinster Club Hurling

Post by biffinbanner »

id be fair minded about refs but since we got rode in the leinster football final against dublin in 06 it seems to have continued every year..football hurling club and county. refs seem to always give the decisions to the bigger countys..

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

By the sounds of it nothing Coolderry were going to do would be enough as this referee was hell bent on ensuring Ballyboden were not the losing side yesterday. This time keeping is doing my head in. We are seeing different types of shite going on. Intercounty games now have 8 or 9 minutes added for the referee to play around with and even still most of this is spent by teams spoiling the play. Other sceanio's we see is a board with 3 or 4 minutes being held up but the blatantly ignored by the official. The rules are already there in relation to time wasting so just implement them and get on with the game. Ladies football style clock and hooter anyone? Actually women's sport is way less cynical then men's and there is less of the messing going on.....I've no doubt the great minds on the sidelines would corrupt even the big clock for mens games!

Anyways back to the game.....giving away 2 goals as the opening 2 scores was always going to be a killer but it was clearly an extraordinary comeback. It's hard to ignore the 5 red cards over the course of the 2.5 games.Its excessive and unnecessary. Loss of one man for the last few minutes of that extra extra time period would be a killer but to be down 3 you can forget about it.....it also broke up the course of the last few minutes play. Still when all is said Coolderry have put in an incredible year and should be nothing but proud of themselves.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Been a Birr man it's rare I would give Coolderry to much praise but warriors like Carroll, Brady,Teehan etc deserve huge credit they have performed at a very high level for nearly 15 years....
One thing I would say after just watching the highlight all 3 were sending offs so there can't be arguments on that.
Carroll is not a dirty player but I can't say the same for Kevin Brady how many times now has been send off for digging/striking with the hurl ?
Anyways hard luck to Coolderry I am sure they won't be too far away next year for Sean Robbins

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Agreed. All 3 were sending offs although Stephen Corcoran’s one needs a bit of clarity. Was it for abusive language towards the referee?

Kevin Brady sent off 2 games in a row for striking. Far from ideal when games are in the balance.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Ok the Sending off. The back came knees down on the back of Carroll Dangerous play he should get a red as well.
Brady get 3 strike from 2 different players. If the Ref gives the penalty then it from a strike so bye bye.
I can't say anything about Corcoran. he hit the head and it red.

Boden 4 goal, The player must take 16 steps add that to the two point that were wide.
“Common sense is not so common.”

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Brady stroked the goalie across the head..a player from boden did not touch off him until after the blow had been given and players reacting then to his totally cowardly stroke is fine by me.

I dont know what game you were looking at.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

It was really hard to tell what Carroll or Keaney did in the initial incident to warrant a red and yellow card respectively. Similarly with the 2nd yellow for Keaney. both can judge themselves unlucky to get sent off and probably have a case to appeal.
Brady did strike and it was the right call.
Keeper - again hard to tell. Looked like he was just aggressively shoving a player off of him to free up some room to get his clearance away. Happens 20 times in every game. Very strange decision to give a straight red. However, considering that it was in the last play of the game, it made no impact. Definitely a case to appeal.

On a related note, what were the grounds for the Coolderry midfielder getting his red card in the semi final overturned? Seemed a straight forward strike to me when I saw it initially, so I was surprised there were grounds to appeal and then that the appeal was successful. But then again, the GAA rule book/appeals process is perplexing at the best of times.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

I think what saved Mark Bergin in his appeal was he threw up the ball and hit it while breaking the hurl off the MLR players leg. Only thing I can think of

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Anything to do with the current Vice-Chairman of the Leinster Council I wonder?

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Carroll drove the hurl into # 2's ribs. Straight red card.
Brady clearly pulled across the keeper. Straight red card.
Corcoran threw a punch at the Ballyboden players head as he was coming out with the ball. "To strike or attempt to strike". It was harsh but technically straight red card.

No point in lads trying to make excuses for any of the above.

If somebody wanted to take a red card they should have made sure that Colm Basquel accidentally walked into a piece of stray bit of ash.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

I looked at the replay again and you are right in all 3 cases bracknagh.
Carroll did drive the butt of his hurl into #2 and the keeper did swing a wild left.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

bracknaghboy wrote:Carroll drove the hurl into # 2's ribs. Straight red card.
Brady clearly pulled across the keeper. Straight red card.
Corcoran threw a punch at the Ballyboden players head as he was coming out with the ball. "To strike or attempt to strike". It was harsh but technically straight red card.

No point in lads trying to make excuses for any of the above.

If somebody wanted to take a red card they should have made sure that Colm Basquel accidentally walked into a piece of stray bit of ash.
Chatting a few people who were at the game. They say Carroll was getting hit off the ball plenty. there was constantly a hurl being pushed into his back, ribs or back of helmet.

Most of us here have played the game and most of us have got plenty of digs and worse off the ball. What do you usually do. stand there and say please stop. No, you walk back into the aggressor, and let him know your not taking it. What has changed from what I see is these hard men aggressors, then drop to the ground like they got shot. Play acting. This is what happened. Carroll most likely based on what I am hearing gave a little tip back and the aggressor, dropped. I have zero time for lads playing to get lads sent off. If that's what it takes to win, then its pretty shameful.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

"Aw look, myself and Conal Keaney clashed and another guy came in and I kind of pushed a guy off me aggressively into the ribs...Keaney got a yellow and I got a red...Strange decision, that he got a yellow and I got a red. I couldn't understand that decision to be honest..."
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/descended- ... ime-185407

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Coolderry are Coolderry

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Only getting back to this now. Of all the things Coolderry have reason to be aggrieved with, most of all they can feel aggrieved by a system that demanded a winner on the day. Not just because, if the match ended after normal time they have a replay to look forward to this Sunday, and if the match ended after 20 extra minutes, they’d have a replay. But because it is wrong. Problem is that too many observers were quick to paint the scene of a classic. And reactions like that will see that the multiple extra-times and freetaking shootouts are going to become more commonplace. Those same observers equate high scoring with quality. It ain’t necessarily so – the best match I recall was 0-5 to 0-3 at half-time (that’s 1995’s intercounty Leinster Final, by the way).

Prolonged extra time is alright in a league competition or a tournament where the winner is required to play the next week, and losing a league quarter-final or semi-final is no massive deal. This was a championship fixture: by the time of the end of normal time last Sunday (probably around 3.20pm) six clubs remained in the race to Croke Park. That’s a big deal. Players were cramping up yet trying to compete for the ball on their hands and knees. Great commitment, but not how you want to see the Leinster championship decided. These are club players, for chrissakes. Brian Carroll has pointed out how on that podcast how he fluffed an extra-time goal chance due to cramp.

With passage of time, Coolderry will come to realise what they achieved last Sunday. They went two goals behind in the second minute, gave away a howler of a goal after recovering, went nine points behind after 45 minutes, they lost their full-back who hobbled off, their centre half-back had to go up to the full-forward line, they went into extra-time with five men over 35. And yet they refused to lie down. The spirit of ‘we’re Coolderry’ never served them so well as it did last Sunday.

A peculiar thing, extra time. Ask anyone and they’ll tell you extra time favours the fitter teams. During the break last Sunday as we awaited the first round of extra time, I stood up I the seat to let a BSE supporter return to his seat. “It’s all down to fitness now”, he remarked to me - he must have recognised the big country head on me. But a lot of the time, extra-time favours the team who do their hurling by standing up and moving the ball on. Teams who hurl direct can do that for longer; teams who rely on fitness train for 60 (or 70 minutes if it’s inter-county) minutes and are bet if they have to go further. Remember Birr beating Clarecastle in extra-time in 1998, defying logic by doing so? That was the day I first developed that theory.

Now, Coolderry were fit anyway. They had prepared well under Martin Bennett’s instruction. Look at his facebook page – how he favours boxing to running around muddy fields to develop stamina, aerobic fitness and mobility. Astute.

Coolderry put their bodies on the line. The long puckout to Joe Brady paid dividends for them. And the way they kept the ball alive in the lead to Brian Carroll’s goal was a stand out. Kevin Connolly scared the home side so much they repeatedly fouled him. The Dublin champions, a county that places such an emphasis on catching, went well into the second half before making a clean aerial fetch. Barry Teehan and Brian Kelly were outstanding throughout. David King had a great second-half on the stand side. Their discipline in the first 80 minutes was actually quite admirable with relatively few frees conceded. The eventual ‘free to make a draw of it’ was never a free either. If Basquel, with Senior intercounty strength and mental preparation with Dublin wanted to, he would have burst his way through the tackle. But the unwritten rule that if there is a point in it with time up, the team in arrears shall be given the chance to equalise, is probably as old as the GAA itself. Thing is, BSE got their chance with the ’65 and Ryan blew it. And in all the kerfuffle, it is forgotten that Heffernan actually handled the first 63 minutes well.

So that’s it – no Leinster Final for Coolderry to end the year. Next year, they’ll be a year older, maybe some veterans won’t be back. They’ll be down the list of likely winners. Other hand, Eoin Ryan will be back. And Coolderry will still be Coolderry.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

I get the point you are making that there are only 6 teams left so what’s the harm in a replay but I really think that dragging the club championship out for 3 more months needs to stop. In the long term it means clubs have no break as they have to jump straight into 2019 championship next April locally. It gives no opportunity for players to break into the county setup or strips the county of some important players for the league. It also overlaps with college hurling unnecessarily.

If the gas is to improve the calendar then the replay will have to become more or less phased out for most games.

Also, personally I’d like to see club games at senior level move to 35 mins. 30 is short. Players are well able for 35 with the increasing fitness levels. More game time, less waiting around for competitions to be played will only improve the games