Senior A Football 2018

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Who will win the Senior A football championship?

Rhode
52%
Clara
No votes
Gracefield
4%
Ferbane
26%
Edenderry
11%
Tullamore
4%
Cappincur
4%
Durrow
No votes

Total votes: 27

bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Senior A Football 2018

Post by bracknaghboy »

Very pleased to see Fintan Pierce has been appointed referee for the county final. Super young ref who is enthusiastic, up with the play, knows the rules and explains clearly what his decisions were. It's rare to see a ref garner respect among players but he has achieved that in the space of 2-3 years.
We need more young referees coming through. Best of luck to him.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

FaithfulFacts wrote:Jimbob first let me thank you, reading your very out of touch comments on here for the last while encouraged me to sign up.

First the constant slating you have done, on this and other threads, of any manager or management group that employs a modern responsible game-plan. If you want to live in an old idealistic footballing world good for you. But (and I speak from hands on experience) playing 15 on 15 all offensive football will get you beaten in any senior or county game. Hard work beats talent when talent stops working. Its a fact of football today. Sure we can talk about changing the rules to open the game up again, but that is a different thread.

Secondly to say Tullamore dominated that game is very misleading. Rhode missed 2 one on one chances ( Ncnamee and Darby) that on another day would be scored. I agree Tullamore were right in the mix and Maloney scored some beautiful points. But despite that and in my opinion a few harsh calls from the ref, Rhode never looked to be panicking.

Lastly Jimbob, Niall Mcnamee was very good again today ( A true oldschool talent) but to say that with him Tullamore win by 5 or 6 again shows to me how little you really know about modern football. Niall had a few important possessions but in general Paul McConway had his usual very good game on him. Id say Niall touched the ball half his normal amount for a senior championship game.

This was a battling team win for Rhode! Now I am really looking forward to Ferbane having a right good go at them. Ferbane are no doubt the coming force and have no shortage of inspiration after the way 2016 and 2017 finished for them. If a few things go differently they could be going for 3 in a row themselves.
Appreciate the condescending tone - does you no favours. Thread is for discussion with common sense and rational thought, not having a cheap shot.

Rhode were poor by their standards and capability. They were lucky to win. Paul Mac did well but what did Niall score? Without him what would Rhode score and with him what would Tullamore score? That is at least an eight point swing if you do the maths!

Totally disagree and not suggesting you need to be old school to not be negative. Dublin have shown that among others! Tyrone showed that when they dropped the degree of negativity this year. Ditto Monaghan after beaten in Ulster with negative approach and come out to play great stuff with positivity after!

Cooney has brought this terrible stuff down from Gallaghers Donegal. Look at Donegal this year with Bonnar v last year - no comparison!

Look at Shlaughtneil or Corofin. They are the bar and neither play this negative muck!

Rhode are better than the ball they are playing at moment. Steven Darbys team would hammer current team not because they were better players but because they played a much better brand of football. The way i see it and similar to last 2 or 3 years, Rhode are 10 or 12 points off beating a leinster champion but time will tell!

Kinnegad are delighted that Cooney got the Westmeath job. Need I say any more!
jimbob

FaithfulFacts
Junior C

Post by FaithfulFacts »

jimbob17 wrote:
FaithfulFacts wrote:Jimbob first let me thank you, reading your very out of touch comments on here for the last while encouraged me to sign up.

First the constant slating you have done, on this and other threads, of any manager or management group that employs a modern responsible game-plan. If you want to live in an old idealistic footballing world good for you. But (and I speak from hands on experience) playing 15 on 15 all offensive football will get you beaten in any senior or county game. Hard work beats talent when talent stops working. Its a fact of football today. Sure we can talk about changing the rules to open the game up again, but that is a different thread.

Secondly to say Tullamore dominated that game is very misleading. Rhode missed 2 one on one chances ( Ncnamee and Darby) that on another day would be scored. I agree Tullamore were right in the mix and Maloney scored some beautiful points. But despite that and in my opinion a few harsh calls from the ref, Rhode never looked to be panicking.

Lastly Jimbob, Niall Mcnamee was very good again today ( A true oldschool talent) but to say that with him Tullamore win by 5 or 6 again shows to me how little you really know about modern football. Niall had a few important possessions but in general Paul McConway had his usual very good game on him. Id say Niall touched the ball half his normal amount for a senior championship game.

This was a battling team win for Rhode! Now I am really looking forward to Ferbane having a right good go at them. Ferbane are no doubt the coming force and have no shortage of inspiration after the way 2016 and 2017 finished for them. If a few things go differently they could be going for 3 in a row themselves.
Appreciate the condescending tone - does you no favours. Thread is for discussion with common sense and rational thought, not having a cheap shot.

Rhode were poor by their standards and capability. They were lucky to win. Paul Mac did well but what did Niall score? Without him what would Rhode score and with him what would Tullamore score? That is at least an eight point swing if you do the maths!

Totally disagree and not suggesting you need to be old school to not be negative. Dublin have shown that among others! Tyrone showed that when they dropped the degree of negativity this year. Ditto Monaghan after beaten in Ulster with negative approach and come out to play great stuff with positivity after!

Cooney has brought this terrible stuff down from Gallaghers Donegal. Look at Donegal this year with Bonnar v last year - no comparison!

Look at Shlaughtneil or Corofin. They are the bar and neither play this negative muck!

Rhode are better than the ball they are playing at moment. Steven Darbys team would hammer current team not because they were better players but because they played a much better brand of football. The way i see it and similar to last 2 or 3 years, Rhode are 10 or 12 points off beating a leinster champion but time will tell!

Spare us the fake outrage at my "tone". You dont seem too worried about your own tone as you slate managers on this and other threads.

For example- You say Kinnegad are delighted that Cooney has moved on. Is this the opinion of the viewing Kinnegad public or the players? I cant speak for that whole group, but every player i know involved with one of his teams loves him. His commitment and passion are commented on by all.I feel it is often lost on some spectators that players enjoy winning matches over everything else. They give up 25-30 hours a week to the game. They don't really care how it looks.

On the style of play debate- I love when people hold up Dublin as the example of good modern day football. Dublin have the best player group by a large margin and even still play the most system based and responsible style in the country. In attack they will recycle the ball endlessly on loops until a free man is found in the designated scoring zone and in defense, although they dont employ a fulltime sweeper for most of the championship, they will filter back men with the play. They can often end up with 12/13 men behind the ball. Its completely risk free football, if you step out of the plan Gavin will put in the next man up ( Who else could afford to say a player like Connolly isn't needed).

Lastly, On the 2004-2006 Rhode team -Vs- the current team i'm conflicted. That was a great team. But the game has moved on a long way in the last 12/14 years. The mid 2000's team would be behind on strength, fitness and tactics. Rhode won a lot of championships playing a beautiful style of football. But after 2006 they lost just as many as they won. The current team (2016 - now) have a commitment, work rate and togetherness that in my opinion is as impressive as any of the past teams.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

FaithfulFacts wrote:
jimbob17 wrote:

Spare us the fake outrage at my "tone". You dont seem too worried about your own tone as you slate managers on this and other threads.

For example- You say Kinnegad are delighted that Cooney has moved on. Is this the opinion of the viewing Kinnegad public or the players? I cant speak for that whole group, but every player i know involved with one of his teams loves him. His commitment and passion are commented on by all.I feel it is often lost on some spectators that players enjoy winning matches over everything else. They give up 25-30 hours a week to the game. They don't really care how it looks.

On the style of play debate- I love when people hold up Dublin as the example of good modern day football. Dublin have the best player group by a large margin and even still play the most system based and responsible style in the country. In attack they will recycle the ball endlessly on loops until a free man is found in the designated scoring zone and in defense, although they dont employ a fulltime sweeper for most of the championship, they will filter back men with the play. They can often end up with 12/13 men behind the ball. Its completely risk free football, if you step out of the plan Gavin will put in the next man up ( Who else could afford to say a player like Connolly isn't needed).

Lastly, On the 2004-2006 Rhode team -Vs- the current team i'm conflicted. That was a great team. But the game has moved on a long way in the last 12/14 years. The mid 2000's team would be behind on strength, fitness and tactics. Rhode won a lot of championships playing a beautiful style of football. But after 2006 they lost just as many as they won. The current team (2016 - now) have a commitment, work rate and togetherness that in my opinion is as impressive as any of the past teams.

Not outraged at all. Probably more disappointed as most on here bar one or two are respectful of others opinions and debate an opposite point with a degree of rationality rather than cut and undermine in schoolboy fashion!

I'll always be objective and constructive in so far as I can and am far from unreasonable in anything I post.

You are obviously from Rhode and a former Rhode player and possibly even a current one. Two Kinnegad players (both team regulars) and more than a few supporters have stated to me off the record that they were disgusted with the way Kinnegad went this year in Westmeath - primarily down to negative style of play. A fairly talented group, they felt they were held back, never had a go and never got out of group as result. As far as I am aware they lost the last game they played against the weakest team in group by 7 points to 6! There are a lot of knowledgeable football people in Westmeath very apprehensive over the appointment of the new management for reasons stated and fact that they'd be known for such a negative style!

Are you trying to suggest Dublin are a negative team? Dublin like Rhode try to hold the ball, but they go at teams. They press up on teams and defend on the front foot. Donegal this year are a totally different outfit to what they were in Cooney's time involved! Do you watch the Sunday game? They were applauded numerous times this year for their good play and contrasting positive approach in comparison with the last few years! Ditto Monaghan and Tyrone after they abandoned negativity for most part earlier this year! Even look at Offaly this year post Wallace in comparison to with Wallace. Rouses and Darby's stamp was on it and the contrast was stark in comparison with Wallaces negative approach! I was at the Armagh league game where we had 15 inside our own 65 - need not say any more on that! Rhode the last day often had 15 inside their own half too let alone 12. They conceded kick-out consistently and invited Tullamore on. Dublin defend and have a system but it isnt a negative one that holds them back. They play on front foot! They dont concede kickouts and invite teams on!

The Offaly championship is very poor in comparison with likes of Kildare (Moorfield, Sarsfields, Athy, Laurences, Johnstownbridge and more) or even Westmeath (Likes of Garrycastle, Tyrellspass, Shamrocks, Athlone (though not this year) and even Rosemount are really challenging a very strong Lomans team for honours). Any player will tell you that! There are maybe 3 teams in Offaly capable of winning. Rhode were a fantastic team that people admired playing a great brand of football some years ago, myself included. They attacked, pushed up and really had a go. They dominated Offaly which was a much stronger championship at the time with much stronger Tullamore and Clara teams. They were a kick of a ball or less from winning Leinster and should have won it. I wouldnt be so sure that Offaly football supporters would say they enjoy watching the current Rhode team play!

Rhode are winning of late because there is no other team really consistently well organised and having a go. Some teams are organised sporadically - eg Tullamore this year after being a mess last year or more! Ferbane have talent but are they really well organised? I don't really know! Clara were a mess for a few years and have some stability the last two years or so but with little or no underage success in last 10 years they are just surviving at the high end of senior rather than challenging strongly as they did in years gone by! They just don't have the depth they once had!

Rhode are consistently organised and have no hurling to deal with like Clara, Tullamore and Ferbane have. They are inviting teams on and getting over the line on know how at the minute. Tullamore could and should have beaten them the last day. Edenderry owned the ball in their game, Tullamore should have won the group game too and even Cappincur gave them plenty of it. This happened because they were allowed to. Rhode sat in their shell in a Rory Gallagher esque shape inviting them on - similarly to last Sunday. Watch the game when you are doing your video analysis!

Rhode have better players than what they are showing at the minute! I loved how the old Rhode played even if I was on the wrong end of a few beatings along the way. I hate the way the current group play and I ain't blaming them! They are only doing what they are told!

You are right! The game has moved on. This trend was very fashionable about 5 or 6 years ago but the Dublins, New Donegals, Corofins and Shlaughtneils are able to pick their way around the negativity. It is only a matter of time before Ferbane, Tullamore and Cappincur do the same! Rhode showed how ineffective this style was the last few years in Leinster with some tame exits using the same negative style against teams that go out to play. Lets see how they go this year! Best of luck in Co Final! :D
jimbob

FaithfulFacts
Junior C

Post by FaithfulFacts »

First just to clarify I am not a past/ current player or involved with any team! Don't want my own personal thoughts being attributed to any group!

As I said I don't claim to know the all Kinnegad players thoughts or the particulars of the this years Westmeath club scene but it would have been my understanding that this kinnegad team had outperformed its expectations in recent years with Cooney involved in that! Open to correction on that as it wouldn't be my area!

On Dublin I never suggested they were a negative team. I said they play responsible and risk free football. Yes as you say they push up on kick outs but at the top level a team can only do that if they are capable of getting back every time they don't win that kick out. They have the supreme fitness levels to do that for 70 mins. Others dont.

If you remember Offaly tried pushing up on kick outs and in general play against Clare in the qualifiers and we were consistently opened up. Clare could have been out of sight at half time! They hit the bar and the post. We were lucky to be anywhere close. Yes it was exciting to watch but we were outplayed!

Lastly on the current Rhode team I think It shows your true perspective on Offaly football that you bend over backwards to put their recent successes down to poor opposition and again slate them for losing Leinster games.

Rhode lost to Edenderry in the 2015 county final. A great day for the Reds. A Derek Kelly goal that will never be forgotten.

The 2015 Leinster club final was between St.Vincent's and Portloaise. In the 3 years since the only 2 championship games ( and knockout league games) Rhode have lost were to those 2 teams. That's very hard to be critical of. But based on your previous messages I'm sure you'll find a way Jimbob!

NO55
Junior C

Post by NO55 »

Rhode V Ferbane

Rhode looking to extend there lead at the top of the honours list and Ferbane looking to bridge the gap back to 1994 when they last won it.
Many are billing it as a shootout between McNamee and Johnson but having watched both semi finals I think that's far too simplistic a stance to take. That's not to down play either player and there capabilities, I just don't feel either player can win this game single handily. Of course Niall has won many games for Rhode over the years and if Johnson reaches his potential he will no doubt do the same for Ferbane, but it will take more than one individual effort for either team to get over the line Sunday.

For Rhode, I think its crucial that Conor Mcnamee is fit. His mobility and engine is central to the Rhode system and also allows Alan Mcnamee to sit/link and lead in the middle of the pitch. Padraig Sullivan could fill the role at midfield if Mcnamee couldn't play or if his capabilities were diminished however, moving him from the 40 would be robbing Peter to pay Paul. Both Sullivan and Heavey on the 40 are often over looked when Rhode are been discussed but there workrate and team ethic is second to none. What I mean by team ethic is there willingness to put them selves through hardship by tackling/breaking ball/covering ground in order for others to excell. Aidan Keenaghan and Shane Nally both have the same team eithic for Ferbane. Unfortunatley for Nally and Ferbane we won't get to see either himself or Jack Egan on Sunday.

The loss of Nally and Egan for Ferbane can't be understanded and its particularly cruel for the individuals involved. Win or loose on Sunday both players have a tough few months ahead trying to rehab and hopefully come back stronger on the other side. No doubt that would be made alot easier if Ferbane were to get over the line Sunday and they had a Leinster campaign through the winter. If that is to happen Ferbane must come out on top in some key areas.

Firstly they must target the Rhode kickout. Rhodes go to kickout for what seems like an age now has been the short chipped kickout to an on rushing back. The majority of the time this is to one of the Darby brothers but id be fairly certain they also target certain lazy forwards who like to make it seem like they are trying to tackle but are not necessarily 100% committed to the job at hand. In my mind the best way to stop this is by the six Ferbane forwards committing to mark zonally, thus eradicating the big gaps Rhode like to create in order to ding the ball into. That's just my opinion though and I am sure Padraig Egan will have his own ideas on how to stop Ken Garry and his Rhode team mates building a platform from the back.

If they don't stop that platform Ferbane backs will have to have a heroic games in order to stop Anton Sullivan, Ruairi Mcnamee and Niall Mcnamee. Throw in the 3 scorable frees that Mcpadden wins every game and you have a really tall order. In the games I have seen Rhode play in this year one key thing that has stood out for me has been Niall Mcnamee willingness to go wandering out the pitch. When he does this, he generally brings the oppositions best man marker with him and leaves Anton and Ruairi inside to do the damage. If it happens again on Sunday Ferbane need to be awake to it and regonise that even though the best forward in the county is out around midfield, he is out there because both himself and the Rhode management are backing the lads left inside against the second and third best man markers ferbane have.

Having said all that, Ferbane must not forget the things that they are good at too. They bring a great physicality to there game, something that I don't think can be coached. Its just in them and may be attributed to there fondness for the small ball. When a team brings that physicality to the table and you couple it with the natural talents of Joe Maher and Cian Johnson they have the potential to win any game. Potential can only get you so far though, metality and bottle will get you the rest of the way. The afore mentioned have been big question marks hanging over this Ferbane team in rest years. They have the opportunity to answer them questions Sunday.

Its hard to believe now but Rhode once faced similiar question marks over there bottle. Even having won there first title in 23 years in 1998 there was still a doubt about them when they lost a big lead against Tullamore in a semi final and lost a final to Clara in 2002 and 2003 if my memory serves me right. However, once they started winning they haven't stopped for the last 15 years. If Ferbane win Sunday will we be witnessing the start of the next period of domination from one team and perhaps the demise of other. Only time will tell.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

I think that Rhode will win it.
I note that no one on here highlighted Stephen Hannon’s absence. In my opinion one of their better players last year who really helped them to link the play, while transitioning from defence to attack. Think he did his cruciate earlier on in the year.
Good Luck

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

Well done to Rhode, and hard luck to Ferbane. Rhode's experience at this stage of the championship, I'd imagine, was probably the key difference, but Ferbane will be knocking about for the next few years as the underage talent they've had grows and adjusts to the demands. Taking down Rhode any year is a tall order, and the loss of Jack Egan and Shane Nally was always going to hurt.
A bit like preseason training, where big strides are made in the short-term, the closer you get to the peak, the harder the inches come.
With Clara, Tullamore and Edenderry all capable, a competitive championship will hopefully keep all standards rising, and keep edging Offaly forward.

Square Cab
Intermediate

Post by Square Cab »

And so the records keep falling. What a wonderful performance by Rhode yesterday. Probably their most complete final performance since 2008. Just when you think father time might be catching up with them, they come out and dominate a relatively young Ferbane team who in all truth never looked like winning it. Their performance in the semi final against Clara should have set alarm bells ringing yet many were tipping them to beat Rhode. On yesterdays viewing they have regressed over the last few years instead of improving. Jake Kavanagh, Niall Darby, Ruairi Mac, Niall Mac, Anto Sullivan and the Macpaddens were all superb yesterday. Good forwards win games and Rhode had the best forwards by a country mile on show yesterday. Hopefully they can give Leinster a good rattle esp being on the ‘good side’ of the draw. I read some of the stats in yesterdays programme and what Rhode have achieved is truly remarkable. 7 finals since 2012 winning 5. They lost semi’s in 2007 and 2011 but have appeared in every final apart from these during that period. Alan Mac now has 11 senior champ medals and a good few more have 9 and 10. In terms of longevity and consistency of performance, they must be right up there in terms of being the best Offaly club team of all time.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Square Cab wrote:And so the records keep falling. What a wonderful performance by Rhode yesterday. Probably their most complete final performance since 2008. Just when you think father time might be catching up with them, they come out and dominate a relatively young Ferbane team who in all truth never looked like winning it. Their performance in the semi final against Clara should have set alarm bells ringing yet many were tipping them to beat Rhode. On yesterdays viewing they have regressed over the last few years instead of improving. Jake Kavanagh, Niall Darby, Ruairi Mac, Niall Mac, Anto Sullivan and the Macpaddens were all superb yesterday. Good forwards win games and Rhode had the best forwards by a country mile on show yesterday. Hopefully they can give Leinster a good rattle esp being on the ‘good side’ of the draw. I read some of the stats in yesterdays programme and what Rhode have achieved is truly remarkable. 7 finals since 2012 winning 5. They lost semi’s in 2007 and 2011 but have appeared in every final apart from these during that period. Alan Mac now has 11 senior champ medals and a good few more have 9 and 10. In terms of longevity and consistency of performance, they must be right up there in terms of being the best Offaly club team of all time.
Hard to argue with the above. I traveled to the game with great hope for a young Ferbane side and thought that this game had the potential to go down to the wire but unfortunately it was not to be. Absolutely taking nothing away from Rhode who had their tactics spot on and never needed to deviate from same. They just created acres of space for the inside forwards and yet seemed to seamlessly crowd out the space for Ferbane at the opposite end, forcing Ferbane to kick in high balls to their forwards on the few occasions that they did kick it in.

I know that Anton got the motm and I'm sure he was pushed close by Niall but I thought that Ruairi McNamee was sublime yesterday, especially in the first half. I think he got maybe 2 or 3 from play himself but some of the balls he played in were brilliant and his link play, passing and taking his own scores were a joy to watch at times.
Doon exile....

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

Ideal Leinster draw for Rhode now seeing as that the Wicklow Final ended in a draw and replay fixed for next weekend. Rhode not only will get a longer lead in time but will also get to view the replay. The Wicklow champs will only have a week to celebrate and get ready for Rhode

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

NewEra wrote:Ideal Leinster draw for Rhode now seeing as that the Wicklow Final ended in a draw and replay fixed for next weekend. Rhode not only will get a longer lead in time but will also get to view the replay. The Wicklow champs will only have a week to celebrate and get ready for Rhode
Home or away?

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

kingscounty wrote:
NewEra wrote:Ideal Leinster draw for Rhode now seeing as that the Wicklow Final ended in a draw and replay fixed for next weekend. Rhode not only will get a longer lead in time but will also get to view the replay. The Wicklow champs will only have a week to celebrate and get ready for Rhode
Home or away?
Away unfortunately, tough place to go

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

i was at the game yesterday . i havent seen rhode for a few years and i travelled in hope that febane might have "come of age" since 2016. sadly i was wrong rhode were absolutely superb yesterday and made ferbane look very very ordinary. i seen niall mcamee when he came on the scene as a 17 year old and marvelled at his skilll.he is still as good as ever and john maughan could do worse than try get him back.because hes the best forward i the county by a country mile.i dont care what age he is.he just has it. its definitely not out of place to call this rhode team the best ever offaly club side.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

have to say I was very impressed with Rhode's running game, they destroyed Ferbane on Sunday, it was attractive football, thought that the players were very fit, lean and everyone knew their job, roll on Leinster