Junior A Football 2018

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Who will win the Junior A football championship?

Ballinagar
11%
Ballyfore
6%
Birr
6%
Clara
No votes
Clodiagh Gaels
28%
Clonmore Harps
6%
Durrow
No votes
Edenderry
No votes
Kilclonfert
28%
Lusmagh
11%
Rhode
6%

Total votes: 18

Killeighman
All Star

Re: Junior A Football 2018

Post by Killeighman »

mickey wrote:Edenderry 1.05 rhode 1.16 I didn't see any matches but going on scores it looks like clodaigh gales,kilclonfert rhode and Clara would be the top 4 but I'd expect Clara and rhode to loose a few lads before then.
I didn’t actually know that game was on so soon. Good win for Rhode. I don’t think Edenderry are as strong as a few people on this page made out in their predictions. They may have lost a few to senior already I don’t know. There was some talk of discontent in Clara between the seniors and juniors a number of weeks ago. I don’t know who Clara juniors would have to lose to senior but some lads who played junior last year have been playing senior since the start of this year. Clodiagh Gaels are training hard and Kilclonfert are doing the business with the Mangans to the fore. It will be an exciting championship come the last 4. Rhode will be there abouts as usual and I wouldn’t be surprised if experience gets them over the line.

mickey
Senior
Club: ferbane

Post by mickey »

What's going on in birr?I thought they would be in the shake up this year?

mickey
Senior

Post by mickey »

I seen fixtures today.has edenderry to play twice in a week?surely this isn't right?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

mickey wrote:I seen fixtures today.has edenderry to play twice in a week?surely this isn't right?
Sure intermediate teams had to play two games in five days, except Tullamore and Shannonbridge, who had to play 2 games in 4 days.
Good Luck

Geansai Gorm
Senior
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Geansai Gorm »

Heard rumours this week of an objection by Ballinagar into their defeat at Clonmore Harps, as it is "alleged" Harps fielded an U17 player under a different name!
How this came to light is the player in question was personally known to many of the younger Ballinagar players who knew he was too young to play adult football.

Hope this is wrong because it would be a colossal F-up for a club to do.
Or maybe Ballinagar are clutching at straws given their dismal start to the championship so far. :?:

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Result from last night.

Clodiagh Gaels 7-14. Ballinagar 1-9

Geansai Gorm
Senior

Post by Geansai Gorm »

Kilclonfert 4-19 Harps 1-05

That's Kilclonfert and Gaels into Semi's from that group. No surprises there.

Looks like Rhode & Clara in the other.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

As far as I’m aware 1st in each group to semi finals and 2nd and 3rd are in a quarter final. Kilclonfert and Rhode top the groups

mickey
Senior

Post by mickey »

Only team through to a semi as far as I'm aware is kilclonfert,teams guaranteed quarter final at minimum is Clara,rhode,clodiagh gaels and clonmore harps.edenderry and ballyfore decide the last spot.

Geansai Gorm
Senior

Post by Geansai Gorm »

mickey wrote:Only team through to a semi as far as I'm aware is kilclonfert,teams guaranteed quarter final at minimum is Clara,rhode,clodiagh gaels and clonmore harps.edenderry and ballyfore decide the last spot.
You are spot on,..only top 2 in JuniorB. My mixup.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Tullamore Tribune report.
Top team qualify for semi finals, second and third in quarter finals.

Group 1
Leaders Rhode 8 points, Clara 6, and Edenderry 4 points. 1 round of games to be played.

Group 2
Clodiagh Gaels top with 7 points, Kilconfert 5 points,Clonmore Harps 4 points. Ballinagar no points, have a appeal pending over game v Clonmore Harps. Lusmagh have conceded walk overs.

Clodiagh Gaels and Kilclonfert through to knockout stages.

mickey
Senior

Post by mickey »

What's appeal in ballinagar?

Geansai Gorm
Senior

Post by Geansai Gorm »

mickey wrote:What's appeal in ballinagar?
"Allegedly" Clonmore played an U17 player under another eligible players name in the match V Ballinagar.
Came to light straight away as the said player was well known to some of the Ballinagar team/supporters through school, who knew he was underage.

mickey
Senior

Post by mickey »

Was there ever anything done regards to this?or was it ballinagar clutching at straws?

Geansai Gorm
Senior

Post by Geansai Gorm »

It's with Tommy Byrne & CCC as it will decide who goes into play-offs between both teams.
Saying a team played a guy under a different name and that this guy was also underage is one thing. Proving this is a completely different thing. It may be the truth, and by all accounts it is, as the player was a schoolfriend of some Ballinagar supporters who kept calling him by his 'real' name! :lol:

I don't think there was a video or if anyone has photographic evidence. It's one of those things, it probably goes on all the time, but proving it is a different ball game.