Offaly Senior Footballers Championship Thread

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
first_touch
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Footballers Championship Thread

Post by first_touch »

I agree totally, and 'Super' didn't help matters with his tweet. This should be sorted out internally, if possible, and not blabbed all over the media.

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

I'd read Alan's tweet as that of any disgruntled supporter- a result like that would make anyone weep. I don't know whether Brian's statement that was heat of the moment in the immediate aftermath, or if it was later on. Either way, it looks like washing dirty linen in public. The dog on the street might know, or at least guess, that there was a set-too at half-time or after the game, but the reality is a team with shattered morale and a management team with a monumental task to restore belief is still in situ.
It's up to the board, the players and the management to get about fixing things. This needs to be done in-house and promptly- behind closed doors, and without being further undermined by ex-players, managers, referees or whoever.
This isn't junior B club, where you can concede the next game til the dust settles. The clock is ticking towards the qualifier draw. Saying the manager's position is untenable is no more than pub talk. If the players and management are going to pull together, then leave them at it. IF Wallace has 'lost the dressing room', then it's between the players and board if the players have no confidence in management. If that's the case, then change is necessary, but I can't imagine there'd be a queue of candidates jumping up and down at this point of the season. Changing horses midstream sometimes works in the premier league- at least in the short-term. Not as often in senior intercounty.
I've seen a lot of names thrown about: fact is most of those names haven't county management experience at any level, or in a lot of cases, much club experience. I understand the idea that a former great player might bring local passion to the table, but that would only bring so much.
In essence, it's between the board, Wallace and the players. The best that can be hoped for is a good draw in the qualifiers and a couple of wins. The players that are there are there, the players that aren't aren't. Hopefully something can be salvaged, and if it must be damage limitation for whatever is left of this season, then hopefully the damage won't linger into next year.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

I felt after o Byrne cup we might be on to something despite my reservations over squad weakness. What happened since is nothing short of abysmal. I saw a few league games and nothing about those performances impressed. While it's a tough job at times, your starting point is getting your best players in.

Let's face it, a good number of yesterday's panel would struggle to make the Rhode team! How can it be when a lad returns two weeks before a championship with no work done, he is picked for championship start. Couldn't believe it when I saw it and it's not a reflection on player but one on very weak management. What message does that send to Sean Doyle or Shane Tierney or any other forward for that matter that didn't start. Nigel not playing well and bring taken off is one thing, but bring pulled given what else was going on was another thing altogether.

Other things being revealed in media does not inspire confidence either, especially players not knowing team until an hour before match (if true). It seems there is a broken trust between players and management to me sounds like it might be irreparable.

It isn't just this week either or the loss. I sense it has been building over long period of time and the coach Billy Sheehan appears to be quite a divisive figure too. Have to ask if any of these backroom people were vetted or sussed out by board before management approval. A manager is only as good as the people he brings in around him.

In this instance, you'd have to question the county board in their approval of a management team with little or no knowledge of the talent available in the county!

The fall out from the whole episode will be watched with interest.
jimbob

hopper82
Junior A

Post by hopper82 »

It was evident to evryone in the stand there was unrest in the camp .Brian Gavin was stating the obvious , Nigel Dunne was furious leaving the field and didnt hold back when subbed . He had a shakey start but do you take off your free faker & top scorer after 20 minutes ?
The line looked lost & unsure what to do at times , the man who looked to be in charge spent alot of time looking into the stand for advice while communicating through an earpiece .
In my opinion after the 50 minute mark or so we should have buried Wicklow, 3 points but some silly errors cost us .
Missing the penalty was a turning point . We struggled to convert chances , we won a very kickable free about 30 metres out and we called up Mulhall to kick it and he put it wide . We have fowards well able to convert these frees but the confidence seemed to be lacking.
When we ran at Wicklow we caused them trouble , bernard allen , anton Sullivan and Shane tierney were starved of ball at times unless they came out the field to get it , okay this maybe down to wicklows defensive setup but if we cant navigate that what hope have we in games to come ?
Some players between the two 45s wernt willing to try and break the line , instead they kicked across the field and hoped someone else might get a break the far side , when you move the ball that slow you only allow teams organise , Cunningham , carroll and maloney are probably three of our best line breakers so we certainly missed them .
I hope the wallace thing dosnt drag on for weeks, a decision needs to be made very soon about his future . I fear we might loose more guys to the USA etc before we get anyback if Wallace stays at the helm .
Congratulations to Wicklow , it was nice to see what it meant to them to get that win .I fear for them big time against the dubs as Sundays game was so far out of Dublins League , but it will bring a buzz to wicklow football , its a pity Aughrum cant host the game but i wish them well going foward.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

There is a certain amount of quality players out there that either have not been considered or refused to go in for various reasons. I am not saying they would be the answer but with 6 months training they would have offered a lot more and or added to the panel. maybe some were in / injured etc - i dont know but they would have had something to offer!

Some of these players that would add to set up are Ken Casey, Gerry Grehan St Lomans, Ross Brady, G Guilfoyle & Colm Doyle (Clara), Johnny Maloney Tullamore, Richie Dalton, Derek Kelly, Rodge Hanlon, Edenderry, Jamie Evans, Jack Walsh Gracefield, Darragh Corbett Shannonbridge, Callum Boland Doon, Leon Fox, Joe Maher, Oisin Kelly, Ryan Heavin Ferbane, Joey O Connor, Sean Dolan, Niall Wynne St Rynaghs, Cathal Mangan Kilclonfert, Pj Daly Cappincur, Phillip Foy Clonmore Harps.

I am probably missing out on few here from senior clubs - surely more in Tullamore than Johnny Maloney. There would probably be one or two more from clubs like Clodiagh Gaels, Raheen, Shamrocks, Ballycommon, Shannonbridge, Birr and other Junior inter clubs etc and a few who are abroad that could be convinced to come home and play if the set-up was right!

Additionally, we are only county that have put embargo on use of u20s. There are a few of the u20s - maybe 3 or 4 that could be considered for senior panel (Cian Johnson included). I'd be in favour of them concentrating on U20 until they are out but could be part of senior panel. By all accounts Wexford have 9 u20s on senior panel this year.
jimbob

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

jimbob17 wrote:
Additionally, we are only county that have put embargo on use of u20s. There are a few of the u20s - maybe 3 or 4 that could be considered for senior panel (Cian Johnson included). I'd be in favour of them concentrating on U20 until they are out but could be part of senior panel. .

Remember that once a player is named in Championship 26 he cannot then play Under 20.... and that is not internal rule, its National Rule.....U cant have it both ways.......

How many of the many you mention for selection have, like Graham G, already said no ??? And are all you list regular with their clubs ???

Hopefully panel can be improved for next year with some of those you mention and a few of the injured lads but arriving in for 2 weeks just not enough, as seen last Sunday...

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

What I've said is that with 6 months training behind them this group would have lot to offer. How come flanagan had 95% of best possible squad while Wallace has less than 50% of same.
jimbob

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

jimbob17 wrote:There is a certain amount of quality players out there that either have not been considered or refused to go in for various reasons. I am not saying they would be the answer but with 6 months training they would have offered a lot more and or added to the panel. maybe some were in / injured etc - i dont know but they would have had something to offer!

Some of these players that would add to set up are Ken Casey, Gerry Grehan St Lomans, Ross Brady, G Guilfoyle & Colm Doyle (Clara), Johnny Maloney Tullamore, Richie Dalton, Derek Kelly, Rodge Hanlon, Edenderry, Jamie Evans, Jack Walsh Gracefield, Darragh Corbett Shannonbridge, Callum Boland Doon, Leon Fox, Joe Maher, Oisin Kelly, Ryan Heavin Ferbane, Joey O Connor, Sean Dolan, Niall Wynne St Rynaghs, Cathal Mangan Kilclonfert, Pj Daly Cappincur, Phillip Foy Clonmore Harps.

I am probably missing out on few here from senior clubs - surely more in Tullamore than Johnny Maloney. There would probably be one or two more from clubs like Clodiagh Gaels, Raheen, Shamrocks, Ballycommon, Shannonbridge, Birr and other Junior inter clubs etc and a few who are abroad that could be convinced to come home and play if the set-up was right!

Additionally, we are only county that have put embargo on use of u20s. There are a few of the u20s - maybe 3 or 4 that could be considered for senior panel (Cian Johnson included). I'd be in favour of them concentrating on U20 until they are out but could be part of senior panel. By all accounts Wexford have 9 u20s on senior panel this year.
http://www.the42.ie/dublin-offaly-u21-r ... 017/?amp=1

There’s the u21 team that reached the Leinster final.

Rohan played in the league, and is with the 20s.
Colm Doyle should be on the panel.
Egan is on the panel.
PJ Daly should be on it as well, I was impressed by him in that game, and he got a couple of good write ups in the paper.
Lalor and Hayes are involved, if I recall correctly, Hayes had a decent game.
I wasn’t impressed by Dunican outfield on the night, but I haven’t seen much of him playing.
I don’t know much about Farrell and Walsh, nor can I remember their contributions.
McEvoy was a player that stood out as physically ready for senior inter-county football.
Tierney and McNamee were involved on Sunday.

I’ve yet to see enough of Higgins to adjudge, similarly with Clancy.
I don’t know about Stewart. If I remember correctly, he was nowhere near fit enough for the final, he came on in the last few minutes. I don’t know, to be honest.

So there’s Doyle, Daly and McEvoy, from last year’s u21s that I’d have involved.
Rohan will be involved next year.
Good Luck

Looktothefuture
Junior B
Club: Tuber

Post by Looktothefuture »

I can only speculate would be very easy to back this up if anyone asked the likes of guilfoile, Brian Darby and Hanlon why they did not return it would be because the county board are a joke and they are not behind The footballers at all comments tommy Byrne said last year was outrageous from a county chairman. Also 2men gave a review last year on behalf Of The panel without consulting the panel which was against the opinion of most Of The players.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Offaly's problems have now reached national media. What good will that do? Someone posted earlier that these matters should have been decided in house, rather than individuals commenting on social media. I agree with the posters.

We had this player discontent in the last decade, but it did not help anyone.

I cannot see too many people taking on the manager's job, if there is to be a change.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

I wonder what the turnout is like at training?

How can we confirm that lads have walked?
I’d suspect the lads that liked the tweets anyway.
Last edited by LooseCannon on Wed May 16, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good Luck

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

looking at various paper reports and listening to media outlets it seems to me that only one person,brian gavin, is coming out with this "unrest"story. ? nigel dunne rubbished it. selector paul mollen explained calmly about rory mcnamees situation and sean penders injury? we could easily be looking forward to a match with the dubs.id say if that match was played 20 times we would win 19 no disrespect to wicklow..this was the 20th.. lets win a few qualifiers and get into div2 next year. we have the players and with a bit of luck its possible..