Senior B Hurling 2018

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Senior B winners 2018?

Durrow
17%
Brosna Gaels
4%
Lusmagh
38%
Drumcullen
No votes
Tullamore
13%
Clodiagh Gaels
8%
Shamrocks
17%
Carrig
4%

Total votes: 24

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Carrig & Riverstown 0-22 Lusmagh 0-18

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The only match I got to at the weekend was the Carrig & Riverstown v Lusmagh Senior B match. It resulted in a deserved win for C&R, who battled superbly, had almost a 100% success rate in contests for possession, and picked off some fine scores. Lusmagh had the stiff wind behind them in the first half and though they opened with a string of scores, they never built on that early dominance. C&R were well in it by half-time when just 0-10 to 0-12 behind, and were cheered off the field at half-time by a noisy support.

C&R quickly went ahead, were three pints ahead for most of the second half, and should have been been further ahead when Lusmagh might have walked in a late goal chance. Attackers Mark O’Brien, Conor Freeman and Michael Kennedy were the pick of their forwards, the switch of Freeman to full-forward was a turning point and they had a plan where he was isolated one on one in front of goal. The point is moot but I’ll make it anyway – Lusmagh started without three of their first choice defenders (injured) and lost another early in the second half.

I expected Ballinamere to beat Drumcullen, but that’s not how it turned out. But given Lusmagh’s seemingly ever-increasing injury list, Ballinamere would be absolute bankers to win the second round tie next weekend.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Senior B Hurling 2018

Post by bracknaghboy »

It seems Derek Molloy played the full 60 mins for Shamrocks Sunday. Any word on how he got on? Is it out of the question that he could play a role during the Leinster Championship in May? Its 5 years since that nasty injury against Waterford in OCP.....I'm at a loss as to where those 5 years went but my lost years aside it would be a great boost to have him back.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Clodiagh Gaels-Shamrocks Shamrocks by 5
Brosna Gaels-Drumcullen Drumcullen by 4
Ballinamere-Lusmagh Lusmagh by 2
C&R-Tullamore Tullamore by 3
Good Luck

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I saw two and a half Senior B matches at the weekend.

The second half of Shamrocks and Clodiagh Gaels was a drab affair. Don’t be fooled by the final scoreline – Shamrocks were always in control. Johnny O’Toole was decent for his side. And that’s about it.

Lusmagh led Ballinamere by a single point at half-time, having hurled with the east wind behind them in that half. They dropped too many shots short, or put them wide altogether, though they hurled much more positively than they did against Carrig a fortnight previously. Then two Lusmagh goals early in the second half turned the game on it’s head. The first when Eoin Quinlan’s pass opened the defence up for Shane Lanigan to burst through and rifle the ball to the net; the second when Paddy Byrne hassled the goalkeeper, forced him to concede possession and then turn the loose ball into the net.

Ballinamere came more into in, as Gerry Spollen and Phil McDermott began to get a supply of ball in. Paddy Murphy, the best hurler on the park, did pretty much everything for Ballinamere. He finished a loose ball to the net to bring them level. Both had chances to win it, Ballinamere moreso with some terrible wides. With the referee content to play for a draw, everyone went home reasonably relieved.

Scorers: Lusmagh: Shane Healy 0-6 (5 frees), Shane Lanigan & Paddy Byrne 1-0 each, Eimhin Kelly 0-2 (0-1 free), Niall Duffy 0-1, Damien Kelly 0-1 (line ball).
Ballinamere: Paddy Murphy 1-11 (0-9 frees), Brian Duignan 0-2.

There was a stark contrast between the sides in the Tullamore v Carrig & Riverstown game. This turned into a cracking game, full of pace, skill and intensity. The contrast was that Tullamore were superior in the air, whereas C&R won the majority of the contests on the deck. C&R started better, with the wind, but Shane Kelly’s goal, fired to the net from a first-time pull, saw C&R lose momentum. The outcome seemed a done deal when Tullamore led 1-5 to 0-7 at half-time.

C&R were full of positivity after the restart. They still had a decent share of possession, for the middle 15 minutes of the half they bucked a trend and won their own puckout. This enabled them run at Tullamore which drew the frees that Brendan Hoctor converted. It was only in the last five minutes that Tullamore pulled away, scorng the contest’s last five points to win 1-15 to 0-13.

For Tullamore, Nigel Bracken and Niall Houlihan were the best of the backs, Shane Kelly caused problems when in the full-forward line in the first half. Shane Dooley showed class, but intermittently. James Houlihan was good, so was Gareth Mann betimes. For C&R, Conor Fitzgerald, Ross Connaughton, Michael Keane and Aaron Dolan performed heroics in defence.

Scorers: Tullamore: Shane Dooley 0-8 (0-6 frees), Shane Kelly 1-1, James Houlihan 0-3, Nigel Bracken 0-2, Gareth Mann 0-1.
Carrig: Brendan Hoctor 0-6 frees, Mark O’Brien -3, Thomas Hough 0-2, Conor Freeman & Michael Kennedy 0-1 each.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I saw two and a half Senior B matches at the weekend.

The second half of Shamrocks and Clodiagh Gaels was a drab affair. Don’t be fooled by the final scoreline – Shamrocks were always in control. Johnny O’Toole was decent for his side. And that’s about it.
Was Derek Molloy in action POTH? Is there any hope he will feature in May for Offaly or is that notion too far fetched?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

He was, Brack. Played the full match. Looked lean, and keen.

I'm always wary of fellas who are out of the game for an extended length of time. We are judging DM on his 2013 form (in fairness, we have nothing else to go on), while everyone else is judged on current form. Fair play to Derek for making the effort - he would have had to work so much harder than any other of his county team mates this year. And for that, I hope it works out for him. With a big panel required, and with Kevin Martin seemingly looking for four robust half-forwards, there might be a role for him yet - if even off the bench. As for the medium to longer term, there probably should a place for Johnny O'Toole in the squad.
bracknaghboy wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:I saw two and a half Senior B matches at the weekend.

Was Derek Molloy in action POTH? Is there any hope he will feature in May for Offaly or is that notion too far fetched?

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Cheers POTH. Would love to see it work out for Derek. Always thought he was excellent hurler and a decent footballer too. With 4 games coming up he may well feature so.
If Kevin martin is looking for strong men to put their body about then what I've seen of Johnny O'Toole suggest he might be worth a look. Looks like a player that could improve no end if he got a couple of years of full intercounty training under his belt.

Mrbrightside
Junior A

Post by Mrbrightside »

I see Sean Gardiner was missing from Lusmagh and Ballinamere game? Is he injured and should he be ok for Offaly's opener against Galway?
Also, how did the other county hurlers on show do? David O'Toole, Liam Langton and anyone else im missing?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Seán Gardiner should be fine, reportedly. David O'Toole - I'll put it this way, it was only after he went off on a second yellow with about 10 minutes to go that Clodiagh began to bore holes and put Shamrocks under pressure.
Mrbrightside wrote:I see Sean Gardiner was missing from Lusmagh and Ballinamere game? Is he injured and should he be ok for Offaly's opener against Galway?
Also, how did the other county hurlers on show do? David O'Toole, Liam Langton and anyone else im missing?

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Speaking of Clodiagh Gaels, I have to say, they have been a serious disappointment since they won the Intermediate title in 2016. There was a lot of talk of "journeys" and "voyages" here from some of their posters but all momentum seems to have been lost. If I'm not mistaken their first team i.e Senior in 2017 and "Senior B" in 2018 have lost 7 championship matches in a row and actually haven't won a championship match since that Intermediate final in 2016.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Senior B Hurling fixtures this weekend

Saturday at Birr
Clodiagh Gaels v Carrig & Riverstown at 6pm (followed by St Rynagh's v Kinnitty Senior A)

Sunday at Ballinamere
Shamrocks v Drumcullen at 12 noon

Sunday at Banagher
Lusmagh v Brosna Gaels at 6pm (followed by Birr v Kilcormac-Killoughey Senior A)

Wednesday 4th July at Bord na Móna Park
Ballinamere v Tullamore at 8pm

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Clodiagh Gaels
Shamrocks
Lusmagh
Tullamore
Good Luck

Killeighman
All Star

Re: Senior B Hurling fixtures this weekend

Post by Killeighman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Saturday at Birr
Clodiagh Gaels v Carrig & Riverstown at 6pm (followed by St Rynagh's v Kinnitty Senior A)

Sunday at Ballinamere
Shamrocks v Drumcullen at 12 noon

Sunday at Banagher
Lusmagh v Brosna Gaels at 6pm (followed by Birr v Kilcormac-Killoughey Senior A)

Wednesday 4th July at Bord na Móna Park
Ballinamere v Tullamore at 8pm
Clodiagh Gaels game now appears to be changed to Kinnitty on Sunday evening at 7:30pm.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

what is the reason behind balinamere and tullamore not playing until wednesday evening?

anyone at any of games over weekend? away on holidays and didn't make it to any..

looks like it will be a big battle between clodiagh gaels, lusmagh, drumcullen and brosna gaels to avoid the drop. really surprised to see lusmagh with only 1 point after 3 games.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Ballinamere had 3 lads playing u20 football, they had intermediates playing yesterday, offaly minors are on tonight so Wednesday it is.