Senior A hurling 2018

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Sean Robbins winners 2018

Kilcormac Killoughey
27%
St.Rynaghs
36%
Ferbane
12%
Clareen
6%
Birr
3%
Shinrone
9%
Kinnitty
3%
Coolderry
3%

Total votes: 33

private joker
All Star

Re: Senior A hurling 2018

Post by private joker »

he's with a tipp club also

Hurleyman36
Junior B
Club: Kilcormac Killoughey

Post by Hurleyman36 »

Can anyone tell me when the pairings for championship is out

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

i'd go with the week before!!

fixtures should have been completed last month and at latest for this coming months county board meeting.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

@MolloyPrecast SenA Hurl Champ Rd 1
@belmont_gaa v @KinnittyGaa
@strynaghs v Seir Kieran
@coolderrygaa v @KK_GAA
@BirrCLG v @ShinroneGaa
Good Luck

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Any junior hurling draw?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

kingscounty wrote:Any junior hurling draw?
There was yes, I’ll put it up later, same with the intermediate Hurling.
Good Luck

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

Predictions for 1st Round

Coolderry v KK - kk by 8 points
Rynaghs v Clareen - rynaghs by 2 points
Belmont v Kinnitty - kinnity by 3 points
Birr v Shinrone - shinrone by 6 points

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Predictions for 1st Round

Coolderry v KK - KK by 8 points. I can see nothing but a comprehensive win from the KK men.

St Rynaghs v Seir Kieran - St Rynaghs by 5 points. One wonders where Joe Bergin will start, at CHF or FF, whether he’ll be picked up by more than likely Dermot Shortt, or Aidan Treacy. There was nothing much to split the sides last year. I feel that St Rynaghs will be more accurate from frees than in the latter part of last year.

Belmont v Kinnitty - Kinnitty by 3 points. An instinctive prediction. If I recall correctly, there was only a point in the difference in last year’s quarter final. It was a suspect enough winning goal as well, which was picked from the ground. I feel that Kinsella is going to wreak a bit of havoc for the mountainsiders. It’ll be interesting to see where Colin Egan will start, be it at FF, in the half forward line, or even at CHB. I fancy the two Kealeys to cause the Tisaran men trouble also.
Then again, I could be wrong, and Oisín Kelly will have to be on song if his team are going to win.

Birr v Shinrone - Birr by 2 points. I have an inkling that Birr will do well. Seán Ryan is back fit, and I just feel that everything will fall into place for them on Sunday.

I hope to get to all games, but will probably only get to see two, more than likely on the Saturday.
Last edited by LooseCannon on Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Good Luck

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

So a new championship format starts at the weekend. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the one group of 8 as just like the previous structure it's almost inevitable that the group games will lack intensity as teams are only too aware that there are lots of safety nets included. In fact this statistic amazes me - it will take 28 games to eliminate two teams from the championship. Just think about that for a second!!!

Anyways onto the games. Kilcormac / Killoughey are nailed on to beat Coolderry, a young vibrant Shinrone will hopefully bring their A game and should have too much for Birr, St Rynagh's and Seir Kieran has the makings of a draw and if Belmont perform against Kinnitty like they did last year they will open their campaign with a win.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Full Time St Rynaghs 1-14 Seir Kieran 2-17 Offaly SHC
Kieran start with a huge win. Well done to them.
“Common sense is not so common.”

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Makes sense too have the games in Birr alright...big crowd there for double header today.

1st game wasn't bad Rynaghs were poor enough.

As for the second where do I start I thought I was looking at an intermediate game.

I won't be surprised if the games tomorrow are the same...1st couple of rounds usually brings out some bad hurling.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

LooseCannon wrote:Predictions for 1st Round

Coolderry v KK - KK by 8 points. I can see nothing but a comprehensive win from the KK men.

St Rynaghs v Seir Kieran - St Rynaghs by 5 points. One wonders where Joe Bergin will start, at CHF or FF, whether he’ll be picked up by more than likely Dermot Shortt, or Aidan Treacy. There was nothing much to split the sides last year. I feel that St Rynaghs will be more accurate from frees than in the latter part of last year.

Belmont v Kinnitty - Kinnitty by 3 points. An instinctive prediction. If I recall correctly, there was only a point in the difference in last year’s quarter final. It was a suspect enough winning goal as well, which was picked from the ground. I feel that Kinsella is going to wreak a bit of havoc for the mountainsiders. It’ll be interesting to see where Colin Egan will start, be it at FF, in the half forward line, or even at CHB. I fancy the two Kealeys to cause the Tisaran men trouble also.
Then again, I could be wrong, and Oisín Kelly will have to be on song if his team are going to win.

Birr v Shinrone - Birr by 2 points. I have an inkling that Birr will do well. Seán Ryan is back fit, and I just feel that everything will fall into place for them on Sunday.

I hope to get to all games, but will probably only get to see two, more than likely on the Saturday.
I’m a bit wayward so far. St Rynaghs were really poor, but yet there was only two pucks of a ball in it. I think only three forwards scored from play for them, with a point each for James Sullivan, Stephen Quirke and Matthew Maloney. The Clareen men should have had a man sent off for pulling Camon’s helmet, but they were deserved winners in the end. I also thought that Niall Wynne should have been given a free for being bundled over prior to the first goal, but it wouldn’t have happened had he got the ball up first time round.

The second game had the feel of a challenge match.
Hopefully I’ll get to tomorrow’s games. There’s a lot of hurling to be done yet. 360+ minutes.

I’d still back St Rynaghs to win out the championship, though they need to shake up the foward line, whether to get on the phone to Seán Dolan or perhaps when O’Connor and Hernon are back fully fit, throw Shortt up front.
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Just home from the double header in Banagher..

Belmont comfortably beat kinnitty and looked always to be in control.

Birr likewise beat shinrone comfortably even though shinrone led by 1 point just after half time, they never really threatened the Birr goal (until the penalty at the end which was brilliantly saved by Breeder Mullins who for me still a top level goalie at 40 years of age some detail.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

greenairfield wrote:Just home from the double header in Banagher..

Belmont comfortably beat kinnitty and looked always to be in control.

Birr likewise beat shinrone comfortably even though shinrone led by 1 point just after half time, they never really threatened the Birr goal (until the penalty at the end which was brilliantly saved by Breeder Mullins who for me still a top level goalie at 40 years of age some detail.
I was present at the games also. Upon viewing, I believe that Birr are the best team of the four on display today. And to think that people were writing them off. Lots of hurling to be played still, but it was good to see them win comfortably.
Whether they’ll be there, thereabouts come county final time remains to be seen.

Kinsella and Dempsey were obvious losses for Kinnitty.
Good Luck

DoingUntold
Senior
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by DoingUntold »

Is Kinsella injured?

Is he gone for long?

Also, i seen Currams went off injured yesterday, any update on him?