2018 NFL

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
SearingDrive
All Star

Re: 2018 NFL

Post by SearingDrive »

feirmeoir wrote:where J Maloney, hes not on the subs?
John has opted out for a year.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Bit less time talking bollox on Twitter Stephen and trying to raise your public profile, and a bit more time trying to arrest the dramatic slide in our county football team's performances thank you very much.

feirmeoir
Intermediate

Post by feirmeoir »

why would J Maloney opt out. Hes a key player, he played v Longford. Was there a falling out with the manager?

Looktothefuture
Junior B
Club: Tuber

Post by Looktothefuture »

So the players (well 2 of them did) opted for a chance in management last year to take the next step. Not sure this is what was ment by the next step... Relegated by the end of February is looking extremely possible.. The county board needs to hold there hand up and say they got it wrong again.. I think it's time to note that Flanagan done extremely will with a poor group of players. We need huge investment in our underage and except 5years of disappointment at least. I don't think the people deciding where our investment is spent is up to the task they have been noting but a joke for years.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

What is Daithi Reagan on about with Wallace. Wonder is he asking Kevin Martin the same thing? Or every single other football and hurling manager.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

You'd have to look at decision to relieve Flanagan of the job given what we've done since.

While I am not fully laying blame at Wallace door, were we a bit naive to think that a kerry man with no clue of offaly football who surrounds himself with people in management team with no clue of the game in the county could do any better than he has done. My main issue is who is choosing the squad? Looks like they only have a bare bones with two sub goalies named in subs to make up numbers. What are the credentials of coach selectors and strength and conditioning people in background and what is their knowledge of what is in the county. Surely this is a priority when selecting a county senior manager. It must be about the best "package" available in my opinion. Is the package this year offering more than what went before?

We heard soundbites about doing it the kerry way and sexy football. That'd be grand if the best footballers in the county were available to the manager for selection. We are too small a county not to have everyone on board. You can pick faults in Flanagan all you like but there were very few outside of his panel that would have been as good
As those on it. They were competitive in most games, contested promotion and for most part had a positive dynamic around the team.

Contrast that with this year and the difference is stark. Not competitive, missing lot of good players who opted out and bit of a negative vibe emanating already. Have to wonder what has gone on with John Maloney too as he was just coming back and played the last day.

This time last year we were contrasting a competitive football team managed by a local with plenty of local knowledge around him with an uncompetitive hurling team with outsider and little top level experience where many of the best players were not available. How the roles and fortunes have reversed given more recent appointments.

Looks like we'll need to beat sligo and Wexford to stay up and even doing that won't guarantee us division 3 status. I have huge doubts about what is going on - not necessarily because of Wallace per se but more because of what he has surrounded himself with.
jimbob

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

i think people were expecting a tommy lyons effect.the difference with lyons was we had the players. i also think kevin martin has brought the hurlers on a good bit and it can only get better .weve lost to 2 very good teams galway(obviously) and limerick arnt far behind.the way the leinster championship is set up though will be very hard to get through even averagely.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Did any poster travel to Derry yesterday? Interested to know how Offaly performed. They were down 1-6 to 0-0 in the opening period, but rallied to score 0-12 to Derry's 0-8 for the remainder of the game.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

private joker wrote:What is Daithi Reagan on about with Wallace. Wonder is he asking Kevin Martin the same thing? Or every single other football and hurling manager.
Does anyone take notice of what he says? He’s a clown.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Who is a bigger clown him or duignan

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

greenairfield wrote:Who is a bigger clown him or duignan
HIM
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I'd go with Duignan personally

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

100% Duignan. What a media whore.

And the hypocrisy of him. Going on a rant about games should be on free to air television and yet he’s tweeting about tears in his eyes having watched Offaly and Dublin on a subscription channel. If he was that firm in his beliefs he would have went to the game.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

It has been suggested that the football panel is tight on numbers.
I’ll try to comprise a list of panelists to the best of my knowledge.

Stephen Wallace and his Management Team have named their Offaly panel to play Derry on Sunday 18th Feb at 2pm in Celtic Park in the re-fixture of the 3rd Round of the Allianz National Football League

1. Barry Rohan (Shannonbridge)
2. Declan Hogan (Tullamore)
3. Paul McConway (Tullamore)
4. David Brady (Edenderry)
5. David Dempsey (Ballycommon)
6. Sean Pender (Edenderry)
7. Niall Darby (Rhode)
8. Peter Cunningham (Bracknagh)
9. Conor McNamee (Rhode)
10. Bobby O'Dea (Durrow)
11. Michael Brazil (Tullamore)
12. Shane Nally (Ferbane)
13. Bernard Allen (Tubber)
14. Anton Sullivan (Rhode)
15. Nigel Dunne (Shamrocks)
16. Alan Mulhall (Walsh Island)
17. Shane Tierney (Daingean)
18. Joseph O'Connor (St. Rynagh's)
19. Craig Dunne (Gracefield)
20. Jordan Hayes (Edenderry)
21. Patrick Dunican (Shamrocks)
22. James Lalor (Raheen)
23. Sean Doyle (Edenderry)
24. Conor Carroll (Raheen)
25. Jack Egan (Ferbane)
26. Eoin Carroll (Cappincur)
27. Cian Johnson (Ferbane)
28. Aaron Hensey (Tullamore)
29. Cian Donohue (St Brigids)
30. Gerry Spollen (Ballinamere)
31. Charlie Hayes (Daingean) ??
32. ??

I’m not sure on Hayes.
Moloney left the panel. If there’s any more, feel free to copy, paste and edit.
Good Luck

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Don't know why they always put Gerry Spollen Ballinamere, it is Ballinamere in hurling and Durrow in football.
Do Clara not have anyone involved this year with Guilfoyle gone.