Quizzes, trivia and facts known, and unknown.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
LooseCannon
All Star

Quizzes, trivia and facts known, and unknown.

Post by LooseCannon »

Came across this last year, it came into my head today.
https://m.sporcle.com/games/bigGuy91/na ... -in-offaly

James McCarthy’s mother is from Clonbullogue. -TheMan
Darragh and Shane Fives’ mother is from Lusmagh.

Brendan Kealys mother was a Kelly from Ballycumber- feirmeoir

Aaron Craig (Westmeath right half-back) also has a Lusmagh mother, who herself is a sister of the Fives' mother. -POTH

Barry Coughlans mother is a Gracefield woman, and his uncle is non other than Tommy Byrne Co. Board Chairman. He lived around for some of his childhood. -lovelyhurling

Roscommon have 4 panelists with Offaly parentage. Conor, Ronan and Niall Daly’s father is from Clonmacnoise.
Hubert Darcy’s father (also Hubert) is from Shannonbridge.

McIntyre on the Kerry minor team a couple of years ago:
Grandson of PJ who played both football & hurling for Rynaghs & Offaly ( and later played both for Kerry) ?? -ryot

David Henry played for Dublin and I think his uncle is Vincent Henry from the 1982 team. Also Ciaran Kilkenny's mother is an Offaly woman but I cannot remember where she hails from. -Dubbiff

That's correct, David Henry is a son of Gene Henry, nephew of Vincent Henry and a cousin of Shane Lowry.
John McCarthy is married to an Offaly woman. -BnMm

Number of lads playing senior football in Clane(Kildare) with Offaly born parenst, Brian McLoughlin (Forward,Captain Leinster Minor 2016),dad from Birr, Tom Connor (Ex Kildare FF),dad from Walsh Island, Brian Corbett(good club corner back),mam from Ballyfore. All of these lads are eligible to play for Offaly under division 3 and 4 concession. -maccie
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Re: Quizzes, trivia and facts known, and unknown.

Post by greenairfield »

Eoin Guinan minor and u21 All Ireland winner hurled for Kilenny his father is from Birr.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Tommy Doyle Westmeath hurling full back, has a mother from Killeigh.
The late Kevin Heffernan, Dublin football manager, had a father from Offaly. His father was a member of An Garda Siochana.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Gearoid Hegarthy who hurled for limerick last week is a son of Ger who hurled center back for Limerick in 94 all ireland and his mother is a KK woman.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

I think I either read or heard that the Tyrone footballer, Pádraig Hampsey’s mother is from somewhere in the county.
Good Luck

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Dónal Burke's father is a Banagher native.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Daniel Flynn’s (the excellent Kildare footballer) mother is from Kinnitty. His grandfather won a senior hurling championship at centre back with Kinnitty in 1967. His uncle Eoin was full forward for Offaly U21’s when they beat Kilkenny in the 2000 Leinster Final.